Question on Deads and Choppers

I have two questions relating to specific lifts. First is about the deadlift variation, the split leg deadlift. For those that don’t know what it is, it’s a dead with the lifter straddling the bar. My question is: is this lift safe? (assuming good form is kept of course) It seems as if it would put a ton of pressure on the knees.

Secondly is on wood choppers. What exactly is a wood chopper? Does it have another name more commonly used? I looked it up and couldn’t find anything helpful.

[quote]retrothe80sninja wrote:
I have two questions relating to specific lifts. First is about the deadlift variation, the split leg deadlift. For those that don’t know what it is, it’s a dead with the lifter straddling the bar. My question is: is this lift safe? (assuming good form is kept of course) It seems as if it would put a ton of pressure on the knees. [/quote]

Sure it’s safe. Just don’t pull up with your arms too much and smash your nuts!

You can do this with dumbbells or a med ball, but I like to use a high pulley cable station. Stand so that when the cable comes out, it’s perpendicular to you. Hold the handle/rope with both hands, and while minimizing lumbar movement, bring the weight down and to the opposite side of your body.

Obviously it’s kind of hard to put into words. Look through Eric Cressey’s articles because he has a picture of them being performed.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Obviously it’s kind of hard to put into words. Look through Eric Cressey’s articles because he has a picture of them being performed.[/quote]

actually easier to find it in Mike Robertsons articles its in a few.

The deadlift in question is often called the “Jefferson lift”. My question is why would you want to do it versus a conventional lift. What added benefit does it have?