Question on Complete Power Look Program

Does the purpose of the program boil down to: getting heavy on the push press, front squat, deadlift, and bench = power look?
If so would one achieve a similar look by getting heavy on those lifts using a different scheme, possibly a more gradual one?

Also what benefit does the push press have over a strict press when it comes to the power look?

One variation I like is using the push press to get into position for shoulder press negatives.

One idea I’m thinking of is doing strict press and using the push press as the overload movement

Sure. This is just one progression model. People like progression models! When I coach an individual live I do not use (or rarely) use planned progression models based on percentages because I’m there to regulate the load based on what I’m seeing. But for a general web program there has to be some guidelines.

IMPORTANT: it is not the act of getting strong on these lifts that will give you the power look, its what you do to make them go up (the assistance work)… the main lift going up is more of a goal to keep you motivated and to assess if you are doing a good job with the assistance work.

More weight is used. If you do it properly it allows the shoulders and triceps to handle more weight at the top end of the movement. Which also puts more tension in the overhead position which helps get stronger and more muscular.

That is a good idea. I would vouch for it

Ok thank you. That exactly answers it. I hypothesized that the main lifts were the main factor in achieving the look, since those remained constant and the assitance work seemed like they are primarily for helping us handle that heavy weight on the main lifts. But you’re saying the assistance lifts also play a role in achieving the “power look”. Understood.

Do you have any experience/suggestion running this program for someone who can only train 3x a week?

The way I see it. The main lift is constant because you need something to evaluate your progression objectively as well as to assess your weaknesses.

Now the Power Look program is a generic one. In reality the way you should work is:

1. Do the main lift as planned
  2. Use the performance on the main lift to evaluate what are your weaknesses (part of the range of motion, a specific muscle group, etc)
  3. From that evaluation you select your assistance exercises for the day.

So the assistance work can indeed change at every session if needed. It has to be something that fix what you feel is holding you back in the main lift.

So the main lift helps you select the exercises that will stimulate strength and size growth the most by addressing something that is lagging.

Then you use the progression on the main lift to evaluate if your exercise selection is adequate… if you are not progressing then you might not be selecting the proper assistance work.

That’s a wonderful way to put it. I’ll keep this in mind during any future programming.

Thank you so much for your insightful advice and your time.

One other question coach @Christian_Thibaudeau, how would you switch assistance lifts if I did squat stance deadlifts as my main lift? I’m guessing more posterior work?
And where would you place high pulls? On press day since that’s where you put shrugs?

I would do Sumo deadlifts as assistance and yes, more glutes work

Actually I would put them on deadlift day, maybe 3-4 sets as an activation at the start of the session.

Is there such a thing as sumo stance RDLs, as assistance for sumos?

I don’t think it’s common but I have some figure girls do it