Question on Berardi's Articles

2 questions I have after reading Berardi’s articles:

1. “Eat every 3 hours.” But if I eat meat, it stays in the stomach for 4-5 hours. If after only 3 hours I add food, I will cause indigestion. Whenever I do this, I feel food in my stomach until next day in the morning.

2. “Eat fruits with the meals.” I read that fruits are digested very fast and should be eaten alone, on empty stomach. If eaten with other food that takes longer to digest, then they get fermented.

Do you chew your food? If so I doubt it takes 5 hours for meat to get out of your stomach. Are you including the large and small intestines here?

It should be pointed out that no matter how long it takes for food to digest, it doesn?t mean all the food will still be there until the end. Your stomach will be emptying out continuously, so after 3 hours, if anything is left in your stomach, there will still be plenty of room for more food.

Now eating every 3 hours is a generality that doesn’t have to be followed to the letter, and sometimes is not correct. Here is an article that will define things a little better:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-063-diet

Now if your problem is eating enough protein in a day, add in some liquid sources.

As far as fruits, yes they are digested very fast which is why they should be eaten with protein. It is better to slow down the digestion. Don’t worry about the fermentation crap that comes from the food combining crowd.

If this was true, wouldn’t a lot of us be getting drunk after eating grapes? (No fruit for alcoholics.)

Next Berardi never said to have fruit with every meal, and in fact recently pointed this out. I believe he has said fruit and/or vegetables which might have caused people to misunderstand what that means, which means have a salad, or broccoli, or sweet potatos, or something like that, not just fruit all the time.

[quote]The Mage wrote:
no matter how long it takes for food to digest, it doesn?t mean all the food will still be there until the end. Your stomach will be emptying out continuously, so after 3 hours, if anything is left in your stomach, there will still be plenty of room for more food.[/quote]

This is exactly my concern. If the stomach still contains part of the previous meal and then I add fresh food, what will happen to digestion? The digestion process will have to start all over again. What will happen to the old food? I don’t know.

About fruits. I am afraid that the vitamins and other usefull nutrients in fruits will be damaged by staying too long, combined with other foods in the stomach.

Thanks
Bob

You are way to concerned with minutia.

Follow Berardi’s recommendations and you’ll see results.

Only red meat will digest in the stomach for several hours. Fish won’t. Chicken won’t.

So unless you eat beef with every meal, you should be ok.

[quote]BobPit wrote:
This is exactly my concern. If the stomach still contains part of the previous meal and then I add fresh food, what will happen to digestion? The digestion process will have to start all over again. What will happen to the old food? I don’t know.

About fruits. I am afraid that the vitamins and other usefull nutrients in fruits will be damaged by staying too long, combined with other foods in the stomach.

Thanks
Bob[/quote]

Wow. Do you have OCD? Seriously. This is by far one of the stupidist things I’ve ever heard someone obsess about. As if anyone actually knows exactly how [i]your[/i] digestive system truly works. I’ve eaten meals that seem to stay with me for days, then the next time I have that exact same thing it seems to be gone in 10 minutes. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Get over it and find something else to obsess about.

eat more taco bell. I find that one of their grilled stuffed burritos will accelerate digestion by a factor of 1000. Although there is the possibility that it just burns a whole straight through the intestines instead of bothering with all those twists and turns.

[quote]BobPit wrote:

Thanks
Bob
[/quote]

Are you saying that the food will somehow become undigested? Do not worry about this, believe it or not your body knows how to digest food. It will continue digesting that food, and all the new food too.

And how exactly will the nutrients of fruit become damaged? Digestion is designed to get those nutrients out, not damage them.

Generally any slow down of digestion is a good thing, except post workout, and not for any of the reasons you are thinking.

[quote]BobPit wrote:

1. “Eat fruits with the meals.” I read that fruits are digested very fast and should be eaten alone, on empty stomach. If eaten with other food that takes longer to digest, then they get fermented. [/quote]

I’ve heard this argument, from a few sources, and Chrissy from Three’s Company comes to mind, lol. Anyways, I’m sure a caveman that came across a banana and killed some prey wouldn’t have been like, “oh can’t eat this deer now, I just ate a banana”. I’m sure our body knows how to digest fruit along with other food just fine.

this sounds like the gracie diet idea. i wouldnt really worry about it

Thank you for your answers guys.

Separating Carbos from Fat seems to me a similar rule like separating fruits from other foods.

I already try to separate Carbs from Fats. I will try the massive diet, (although the it seems too hard to do).

Bob

[quote]BobPit wrote:
Thank you for your answers guys.

Separating Carbos from Fat seems to me a similar rule like separating fruits from other foods.

I already try to separate Carbs from Fats. I will try the massive diet, (although the it seems too hard to do).

Bob

[/quote]

Sigh, seperating carbs from fats (per Berardi, Lowery, etc) is not at all related to seperating fruits from other foods… Seperating fruits from other foods is something you just made up that has absolutely nothing to do with anything. The notion of seperating carbs from fats is based of the carbs insulin response which will induce fat storage.

Some more questions on Berardi:

With fat meals I am supposed to eat very little carbs. Like 10gr or less. But I am also supposed to eat fruits or vegetables with Protein+Fat meals. Well, vegetables have carbos (low GI, but still more than 10 gr of carbos). A big salad has 20-25 gr of carbos. So is it ok to eat it with P+F meal?

I take some whey and 100gr of seeds (pumpkin nut, almonds etc). But these seeds contain 20gr carbos per 100 gr food. So this meal will again have much carbos (although low GI). Is ths OK?

Thanks
Bob

You can try an HCL supplement. They improve my protein digestion time a lot.

Twinlab Betaine HCl Caps is one, or get Metagest, which is what I use.

I prefer to listen to my body and don’t mess with HCL, yet.

My question remains:
Pumpkin seeds or taxini are excelent fat sources, good for protein too. But they do contain 20% carbos. Is this OK for a P+F meal? (Maybe combined with whey to increase the protein?)

I had the similar thought when I read JB’s posts about carbs and fats etc. but I know JB’s big on not getting caught up in the minutae of it all and to find out ultimately what works for you and you alone. (Individualisation)

The way I’ve interpreted it. (Correct me if I’m wrong, but not if you just think I’m wrong. Only if you KNOW I’m wrong!) Is this.

Eat Veg with EVERY meal. Don’t worry about these carbs as far as his under 10g in a P&F meal goes. Also, don’t sweat the fruit carbs either as the nutrients and benefits far outweigh the downsides. That said he does say that he lowers his fruit intake when dropping fat.

I think what he’s getting at is Don’t eat STARCHY carbs with FATS and vice versa.

The only thing I’ve got left to work out is where do legumes sit in here! So, I bought his precision nutrition kit and boy is there lots more in there to digest!

Anyway, don’t stress it. Measure your progress over 2 week intervals and change it accordingly.

So I guess I should not worry about the 20gr of low GI carbs in the 100gr mixture of seeds (which is a frequent meal for me).

My friend has the NoNonsence Nutrition from JB. You think it is worth it to buy PN too?

I myself am the king of digestion issues my friend. I have to say I often suffer from the same thing.

what helps me is VERY HIGH BETAINE hcl prior to meals, (thats why your meat is sitting there) ONly the twin lab capsules work.

experimint with a high potency digestive enzyme I found proteolic not to help that much but MRM does.

Try having a solid meal, than liquid, than solid , than liquid.

fruit digests fast, but thats the point to slow down the digestion, by eating it with protein.

Check out some thyroid and adrenal support. you would be surprised how that modulates digestion.

Manage your cortisol., I found that to low carbs messed my digestion my not controling my cortisol.

[quote]BobPit wrote:

1. “Eat every 3 hours.” But if I eat meat, it stays in the stomach for 4-5 hours. If after only 3 hours I add food, I will cause indigestion. Whenever I do this, I feel food in my stomach until next day in the morning.

2. “Eat fruits with the meals.” I read that fruits are digested very fast and should be eaten alone, on empty stomach. If eaten with other food that takes longer to digest, then they get fermented. [/quote]

The only side effect I have noticed of perpetually eating protein is taking shits 2x a day.