Question of the Week

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

Honest question, and by the way new information shows that this is more likely a gang initiation and not hate crime, BUT aren’t ‘half whites’ identify as black by the black community?
[/quote]

A general question to all;

What is “the black community”…and what does the “white community” have to say about this?"

First tell me what the white community is, and if I am part of that, I will give you my opinion.

however if we are going solely by race, I am a white person and the question is too general for me to give an effective answer.

edit

[quote]Professor X wrote:
and what does the “white community” have to say about this?"[/quote]

I speak for no one but myself, and would appreciate it if everyone understood that.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
First tell me what the white community is, and if I am part of that, I will give you my opinion.

however if we are going solely by race, I am a white person and the question is too general for me to give an effective answer.

edit[/quote]

I am not sure what the WHITE COMMUNITY is. I am simply responding to the many posts telling me what the BLACK COMMUNITY thinks.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

I speak for no one but myself, and would appreciate it if everyone understood that. [/quote]

Then could someone explain the post I quoted in the op?

He isn’t the first to make a statement like that here.

IMO, there is no “Black community”, but a group easily identified by skin pigmentation. Same goes for the “White community”, “Latino community”, and “Asian community”.
No, there is no circulars, or fliers, or mass emails that go out, and no, we don’t all automatically know each other.
Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and the New Black Panther Party don’t speak for the “black community” any more than President Obama or Bill Cosby do, just like Rush Limbaugh and Chris Matthews don’t speak for the “white community”.

What you do have are people who see a video camera or microphone and rush to get in front of it, while many more people just sit back and shake their heads in wonderment at some of the nonsense that comes out of their mouths.

I am greatly perplexed…because I keep getting posts like this directed at me:

[quote]conservativedog wrote:

Prof X show us the whites beating up and killing elderly blacks. You and Al Sharpton would have an orgasm if you did. [/quote]

I don’t even watch much tv…and haven’t seen Sharpton speak in years…so could someone explain why ANYONE would assume I shared an opinion with him?

On what basis could they think this other than that THE BLACK COMMUNITY means all blacks think the same?

I by choice am part of the black community . I have a black Son in law (that I love ) 2 beautiful grand kids and 1 on the way that I Cherish

Prof X show us the whites beating up and killing elderly blacks. You and Al Sharpton would have an orgasm if you did. [/quote]

I don’t even watch much tv…and haven’t seen Sharpton speak in years…so could someone explain why ANYONE would assume I shared an opinion with him?

On what basis could they think this other than that THE BLACK COMMUNITY means all blacks think the same?[/quote]

Well duh X, your skin is dark. You must be a card carrying member of the Black Panthers. My skin is light. I would show you my KKK card but I keep getting my arms tangled up in this sheet. There is no black community, or white community. Just morons trying to convince themselves and others that an individual can be conveniently pigeon holed into at category simply based on the pigment of their skin.

[quote]kineticj wrote:

On what basis could they think this other than that THE BLACK COMMUNITY means all blacks think the same?[/quote]

Well duh X, your skin is dark. You must be a card carrying member of the Black Panthers. My skin is light. I would show you my KKK card but I keep getting my arms tangled up in this sheet. There is no black community, or white community. Just morons trying to convince themselves and others that an individual can be conveniently pigeon holed into at category simply based on the pigment of their skin.
[/quote]

Don’t get out much do you :slight_smile:

This is just fucking sad.

What your skin color is shouldn’t matter.

How you act should.

I try to live my life that way.

[quote]2busy wrote:

How you act should.

[/quote]

That’s good…but you can see how much more must be weighing on someone who is constantly told they represent an ENTIRE RACE with their every action and statement.

[quote]2busy wrote:

How you act should.

[/quote]

That’s good…but you can see how much more must be weighing on someone who is constantly told they represent an ENTIRE RACE with their every action and statement.[/quote]
You mean people on this forum who are told that they are part of the “White Power Structure”, and are representative of “White Privilege”?

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

I speak for no one but myself, and would appreciate it if everyone understood that. [/quote]

Then could someone explain the post I quoted in the op?

He isn’t the first to make a statement like that here.[/quote]

:wink:

I hear you.

Interesting story a town of 19 one person buys 13 lots , how may would it take to move in to control the town . It may not be work but it is feasible

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

Honest question, and by the way new information shows that this is more likely a gang initiation and not hate crime, BUT aren’t ‘half whites’ identify as black by the black community?
[/quote]

What is “the black community”…and what does the “white community” have to say about this?"[/quote]

you can not speak in a more simple fashion , if some one does not understand they are disingenuous or not so bright

X:

conservative dog is pretty much a known racist around these parts. The vast majority of his new threads are mainly about race and negative towards blacks. Don’t try and figure out why someone who thinks like that thinks the way he does. It won’t get you anywhere.

P.S. did you check to see if you made the list of his favorite black people?! He has one you know…but remember it’s always liberals that are bringing up race he says :slight_smile:

[quote]H factor wrote:
X:

conservative dog is pretty much a known racist around these parts. The vast majority of his new threads are mainly about race and negative towards blacks. Don’t try and figure out why someone who thinks like that thinks the way he does. It won’t get you anywhere.

P.S. did you check to see if you made the list of his favorite black people?! He has one you know…but remember it’s always liberals that are bringing up race he says :slight_smile: [/quote]

Lol. touche

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

[/quote]

What is “the black community”…and what does the “white community” have to say about this?"[/quote]

Yay! Race ahit…Can’t we all just get along.
Seriously, at some point, if we are truly interested in ending racism in all forms and people, we are going to have to get past skin color as a facor. I am not saying we pretend like people aren’t different colors, just get over it and accept everybody as just people.
We can discuss it to death, but when does it end? When is it enough?

There is a part of this, from a sociological perspective that people don’t understand. Ending oppression does not end the problems, it starts new ones. And the ebbs and flows are natural. The pendulum swings from white /black hate to forced integration, riots, anger to ‘reverse’ racism, to acceptance. The pendulum swings back and forth, but it slows with each swing where it will eventually land at center.
In other words, what we are going through it perfectly natural. Do we really expect a people who oppressed for years to not be angry? To not want to stick it to the man? Sure they do, but it’s slowing down, it’s not as bad as it was and it will only get better.

The bottom line, is that there is real hope. It’s absurd to think that there won’t be racists anymore, but eventually they will be a small insignificant minority and the anger from both sides will eventually calm down.

Instead of looking at all the ‘problems’ we have, look at how far we have come. Look at the next generation coming up, look how they get along so much better than the previous generation. It’s getting better, take a second to appreciate that.

The community is a broad generalization as the fact, that when push comes to shove, everyone identifies with those most similar to them. Blacks will always identify moreso with other blacks and whites with whites, etc etc. Not to say that in every day life, in normal people there is this massive division, but its instinctual to congregate around those similar to you.

Then consider social standing, are you lower, middle, or upper class. Because you are able to afford ‘x’ you usually live in a certain area. That makes you more “related” to those in that area, ie you’ll identify with folks in that area. Social standing can transcend heritage, and sadly, for many it does. Upper class will have a hard time socializing with lower class for longer periods. They’ll enjoy different things or in different ways. Unless that upper class person comes from lower class, and remains humble, they most likely won’t ever go to “that level” so associate.

So assume you have an Asian middle class person. They will associate with other Asians in the middle class, if available. If there are no Asians in their area in the middle class, they will more than likely seek out the “Asian community” to maintain their heritage. Like in my town, there is a small Japanese community. The folks all get together and spend time, but all are middle or upper class. Assuming a lower class Japanese person, they too would be included. But when they go home to their own neighborhoods, the upper class will be part of the upper class community and the lower class a part of the lower class community.

“Community” is transcendable or transferable at the individual level, but they do in fact exist. Individuals are considered “representatives” of the community to which they can be identified by the masses or in generalizations. I am a foreigner in Japan, I am a “representative” of the USA, even though I don’t work for the government and am not here for international relations. BUT, because I am the only American many Japanese will interact with, they will form their opinion of Americans and America on me. I had one of my Japanese students go to Disney World for her honeymoon. She came back in shock (still enjoyed herself), because America is nothing like what I had been portraying while in Japan - not everyone is a gentleman, caring, and willing to go out of their way to help - her words, not mine.

So as much as it sucks, black people are representatives of the black community as much as I am a representative of the white community. And only in generalizations is this brought up. On the individual level you are just a person, but there are greater dynamics involved.