Question of Strength ?

Been lurkin on this site for a while. Seems like most people are hard asses. been working out for bout 18 months now and can’t quite figure out what is normal for a 37 year old.

Hard to judge what is a good weight for a squat or dl (being i have never seen anyone else do it at my gym). Seems like at least once a month i gotta kick the dude doin curls outta the squat rack. I’m not ashamed of my weights (1RM squat 285 DL 295 @165 BW). Just curious what is normal.

Most people on the site have confused being rude with being a high testosterone individual, hence we gather here.

If you’re doing squats and deadlifts@37yo you’re not normal to begin with. :slight_smile:

We also happen to have late 30’s and mid 40 year olds who are uncommon strong even among strong individuals which tends to skew one’s perception of “what is strong” upwards.

I’ve read that BW bench for reps, 1.5 times BW squat and 2 times bodyweight DL is the start of being in good condition and beginning to become strong. Others have said that a healthy male should be able to DL 400+ after 2 years of training almost irrespective of age.

In my opinion, a good weight for squat or DL is one I haven’t previously been able to do.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:

In my opinion, a good weight for squat or DL is one I haven’t previously been able to do.

[/quote]

AMEN BROTHER!

I’m 48 and have been training 2 years. Just hit 290 on the squat, 370 Sumo Dead, 210 Bench and 135 Military press. Gonna compete in powerlifting for the first time ever on December 6th. Don’t care what anyone else does that day - just that I get out there and do my shit.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve been dying to use this…QFT (even though he left out us 50+ers. Agism, it’s so wrong.) I feel so savy now. KMCNYC is near your weight. KMC’s BlackIrish Bastid…Check out his thread.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
DaCharmingAlbino wrote:

I’ve been dying to use this…QFT (even though he left out us 50+ers. Agism, it’s so wrong.) I feel so savy now. KMCNYC is near your weight. KMC’s BlackIrish Bastid…Check out his thread.[/quote]

QFT - Harry you got me on that one. I had to look it up.

From another age challenged individual. Maybe find a gym where folks are crazy and lift crazy weights. You will benefit from the atmosphere, where chalk is makeup and puking is glorified. After you’re over 50 everyone thinks you’re just nuts, that would be where Hel and I roll. The best of luck to you and never ever stop training.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
DaCharmingAlbino wrote:

I’ve been dying to use this…QFT (even though he left out us 50+ers. Agism, it’s so wrong.) I feel so savy now. KMCNYC is near your weight. KMC’s BlackIrish Bastid…Check out his thread.[/quote]

Damn, Hel, you’re so next decade! Using cell phone cameras and spouting acronyms most of us old farts never heard of! I’m still tempted to say “groovy” sometimes, man.

“normal” for a 37 y.o. is sitting at a desk all day, and the most exercise they typically get is a 12-ounce curl for reps.

So, welcome to being abnormal!

I’m going to be 41 in a few months. I started lifting 17 months ago. Prior to that, I’d never set foot in a gym. I had trouble military pressing an empty bar. Benching 135 pounds was a struggle.

Now, I’m on a powerlifting team, and I’m 12 weeks out from my first meet. I’m shooting for at least a 1,000 lb. raw total.

When I was working out in a commercial gym, I thought benching 225 was pretty good. Now, I train with people who use 300-400 pounds as a light, fast weight for reps. I just hit 245 last week, and I’m aiming for 315 now. I’m working on a 500 lb. DL and a 400 lb. squat.

“Strong” is whatever you want it to be. Set goals, put in the work, and be as strong as you want.

Normal is something to avoid at all costs:) And now I have to look up QFT…

[quote]triple nickel wrote:
Been lurkin on this site for a while. Seems like most people are hard asses. been working out for bout 18 months now and can’t quite figure out what is normal for a 37 year old.

Hard to judge what is a good weight for a squat or dl (being i have never seen anyone else do it at my gym). Seems like at least once a month i gotta kick the dude doin curls outta the squat rack. I’m not ashamed of my weights (1RM squat 285 DL 295 @165 BW). Just curious what is normal. [/quote]
Your doing just fine.

I am 37 but have been training since I was 15 so the numbers of the seasoned guys don’t count. Know what many of us at our age don’t train nearly as heavy as we used to anyway and in and around the numbers your lifting are not far off from what many of us use to maintain what we built.

Comes a time when Naturally you just don’t grow anymore and busting the Killer Max is just for your self and for the body is just a chance to cause some serious damage.

Thanks for all the replys.

Hey you’er lifting that puts you ahead of 95% of men in your age bracket! Most are sitting on the couch watching reruns of Gilligans island, eating ho ho’s, and wondering why thier old lady doesn’t want to have sex with them anymore!

The sex thing is true. Not sure if she really likes the new me or just hit her prime. Either way I dont really care as long as it keeps going.