T Nation

Question for Those in Health Care

This may be along shot but, since there are a few members in health care (pretty sure Derek is) I am hoping someone may have some insight.

Are there any Physician Assistant schools that do not require clinical experience to be accepted? My younger sister is about to finish here degree in Biology (3.8 GPA 3.6 in sciences) and has recently began looking into a career as a physician assistant. She was planning on becoming a Vet. and so has experience dealing with sick animals and grieving owners but, not with sick people.

I have searched online forums but, most turn into shit storms where no one gives a direct answer. From the searching she has done there is a college in Idaho. There may be more but, it takes a while going one by one through the list of PA programs.

Not a PA, I’m a Family Nurse Practitioner, but I hire PA’s. Never thought to ask that since I went a different route.

What type of clinical experience are they asking for?

How much?

Can she go to anywhere? or she wanting to stay in her own state.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Not a PA, I’m a Family Nurse Practitioner, but I hire PA’s. Never thought to ask that since I went a different route.

How much?

Can she go to anywhere? or she wanting to stay in her own state.[/quote]

I would ask a similar question if you would be so kind to take the time to answer. My college roommate’s younger sister is currently in the athletic training program at Texas State University (which has a top-tier Health Professions program) but is looking to go to PA school when she graduates, and is looking to change her major. She wants to stay in the state for her advanced degree. As a professional in the field, which undergraduate degree/clinical experience do you feel would put her in the best position as a potential PA student?

[quote]Legionary wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

How much?

I would ask a similar question if you would be so kind to take the time to answer. My college roommate’s younger sister is currently in the athletic training program at Texas State University (which has a top-tier Health Professions program) but is looking to go to PA school when she graduates, and is looking to change her major. She wants to stay in the state for her advanced degree. As a professional in the field, which undergraduate degree/clinical experience do you feel would put her in the best position as a potential PA student?[/quote]

Getting a JOB in the healthcare field is not difficult, Certified nursing assistant, medical assistant, EMT basic etc. Connections/networking is what is needed (like anything in life) plus people who are wanting to go to PA school need to step in the field somehow.

Its not a glamorous profession, but can be viewed that way by the ignorant.

Now honestly tell her to go to get her bachelors in Nursing. Then apply for PA school. That was my career track until I found out the structure of PA school, no way I could work and go to school at the same time. Since I was a divorced male in Texas there was no choice but to just go on and get my Masters in nursing.

BUT I personally believe PA school would be a better track than Masters in nursing.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

How much?

Examples of preferred clinical experiences:

Military medic or corpsman
Paramedic/EMT (waiting time not included in hours)
Nurse (LVN or RN)
Radiology technologist 
Physical therapist
Respiratory therapist
Occupational therapist
Medical technologist
Medical assistant (certified; back office hours only)
Athletic trainer

Most have a minimum 2,000 hours of hands-on patient care experience but, I have seen some go as low as 500 hrs.

Since most of the hands on experience needed also requires credentials/schooling she is looking for a program that does not require clinical experience.

All schools in CA require it so, she is looking at out of state schools. As mentioned Idaho has a program with no clinical requirements as well as one in the east I believe in Pennsylvania .

Thanks.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Legionary wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

How much?

I would ask a similar question if you would be so kind to take the time to answer. My college roommate’s younger sister is currently in the athletic training program at Texas State University (which has a top-tier Health Professions program) but is looking to go to PA school when she graduates, and is looking to change her major. She wants to stay in the state for her advanced degree. As a professional in the field, which undergraduate degree/clinical experience do you feel would put her in the best position as a potential PA student?[/quote]

Getting a JOB in the healthcare field is not difficult, Certified nursing assistant, medical assistant, EMT basic etc. Connections/networking is what is needed (like anything in life) plus people who are wanting to go to PA school need to step in the field somehow.

Now honestly tell her to go to get her bachelors in Nursing. Then apply for PA school. That was my career track until I found out the structure of PA school, no way I could work and go to school at the same time. Since I was a divorced male in Texas there was no choice but to just go on and get my Masters in nursing.

BUT I personally believe PA school would be a better track than Masters in nursing.
[/quote]

I’m sorry to derail the thread, but would you mind expanding on why you think PA would be better than Masters in Nursing. My oldest daughter is a year away from having her BSN and has all but made up her mind to pursue a Master’s in critical care.

Whats the difference between the three?(MD, PA, and nurse practitioner) I never herd of a nurse practitioner until this thread.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

How much?

Nurse (LVN or RN)
Radiology technologist 
Physical therapist
Respiratory therapist
Occupational therapist
Medical technologist
Athletic trainer

Most have a minimum 2,000 hours of hands-on patient care

Since most of the hands on experience needed also requires credentials/schooling she is looking for a program that does not require clinical experience.

All schools in CA require it so, she is looking at out of state schools. As mentioned Idaho has a program with no clinical requirements as well as one in the east I believe in Pennsylvania .

Thanks.[/quote]

A PA follows the medical model, plus you are going to work as a PA in a Drs office or maybe ER.

IMO you want experience in direct patient care

On my IPad now so try to type more tomorrow

[quote]Dr J wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Legionary wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

How much?

[/quote]

I’m sorry to derail the thread, but would you mind expanding on why you think PA would be better than Masters in Nursing. My oldest daughter is a year away from having her BSN and has all but made up her mind to pursue a Master’s in critical care.[/quote]
Personnel opinion after 20 years of medicine, as a respiratory therapist, nurse and now a nurse practitioner.

More people have heard of PAs as opposed to nurse practitioners. There are pros and cons to both. I am just not impressed with the regulatory board of nursing in any state

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Whats the difference between the three?(MD, PA, and nurse practitioner) I never herd of a nurse practitioner until this thread.[/quote]
Way to much to type.

MD have their doctorate in medicine and drive the bus basically.

PAs in most states now have their masters and can diagnose, treat (write prescriptions) and bill for services. So can a nurse practitioner.

Again will elaborate tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response Derek, look forward to more detailed information.

This may be along shot but, since there are a few members in health care (pretty sure Derek is) I am hoping someone may have some insight.

Are there any Physician Assistant schools that do not require clinical experience to be accepted? My younger sister is about to finish here degree in Biology (3.8 GPA 3.6 in sciences) and has recently began looking into a career as a physician assistant. She was planning on becoming a Vet. and so has experience dealing with sick animals and grieving owners but, not with sick people.

I have searched online forums but, most turn into shit storms where no one gives a direct answer. From the searching she has done there is a college in Idaho. There may be more but, it takes a while going one by one through the list of PA programs.[/quote]

can’t help you on the PA school without clinical requirements, but I will say that clinical experience before putting down the cash is worth it. I personally worked as an ER tech for 5 years and dabbled as a physical therapy aid before medical school (currently year 3) and the experience makes learning at this level much easier since you know the lingo, professional etiquette etc . Also realize that PA, NP school etc is a huge financial commitment and having some idea what your career will be like by working alongside NPs/PAs is well worth the cost of whatever certificate and the years experience.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response Derek, look forward to more detailed information.[/quote]
I will be back in office tomorrow

Sorry but I had to go to one of my job sites today

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

How much?

Nurse (LVN or RN)
Radiology technologist 
Physical therapist
Respiratory therapist
Occupational therapist
Medical technologist
Athletic trainer

Most have a minimum 2,000 hours of hands-on patient care

Thanks.[/quote]

A PA follows the medical model, plus you are going to work as a PA in a Drs office or maybe ER.

IMO you want experience in direct patient care

On my IPad now so try to type more tomorrow
[/quote]

Thanks, look forward to it.

She could also look into volunteer work at the hospital or another facility. I did that for a while and started to accumulate hours plus it game me a resume boost that helped me land a medical assistant gig.

I didn’t make it in my first time so I’m still adding hours. I’ll actually be jumping on as an EMT to continue getting hours as I couldn’t survive on a medical assistant salary