Question for Military Vets

Rev1911 stated,

“…Any advice for someone looking into OCS…”

I am retired with twenty-eight years service both Active (1968-71, Vietnam-1969) and National Guard (1981-2006, Iraq-2004). During my time in service, I have served under Officers straight out of OCS (Vietnam), Officers with time in grade (stateside), and Officers out of the ROTC Programs in college (National Guard). I have had both good and bad Officer/Enlisted relationships with all three Officer types. But the most squared away Officers, that seemed to have both feet on the ground, were those that were Enlisted then went into the Officer Program (OCS). They seemed to be able to relate to the Soldier (enlisted) much better being that they had been in their ranks. Most of the Officers that went the Enlisted route first usually attained the rank of SGT (E-5) before they requested OCS. With a college degree, you should have no problems in applying for OCS.

Don’t listen to the Army guys, go AirForce:) Blacksheep hit it correctly. A lot of the good officers were prior enlisted. However, you have to remember, the Academy breeds Generals, ROTC and OTC or OCS breeds at most Colonels maybe 1-star generals.

There are a ton of programs depending upon the branch of service. I think what screws a lot of recruits is not knowing what questions to ask or asking the right questions. There are plenty of officers positions across the spectrum that are short manned due to the demand and income potential of their civilian counterpart. Due to this shortage, the military would be willing to pay for continued education for an extended commissioning commitment. Pilots extra 7 or 8 or 10 years, doctors in same range as well as nursing and so forth.

I suggest you figure out and research what possible jobs you would want then be prepared to ask a lot of questions to the recruiter tailored at those specific position(s).

Go Blue!

lol.

kinda bullshit sgtQ for you to put something out there like that. i come from a private military school is alabama that has produced over 200 generals and admirals. just because you’re not a ring knocker (west pointer for the civies) doesn’t mean you won’t get any higher than full bird.

to the OP. actually just finished validating some EOD units before they moved to their mob station. EOD seems pretty badass IMO. never done any kind of training and haven’t been with a unit personally, but they all seemed pretty squared away, as well as higher up seems to baby them almost as much as the sf guys.

remember too, as an officer you will be required to get AT LEAST a secrect security clearance. once you get out, that is an EXTREMELY valuable tool. hell, they have websites dedicated to listing jobs that require you already to have a security clearance. that always looks sexy on u’re resume.

you know the airforce used to administer their PT test on a STATIONARY BIKE!? hahaha. wussies.

but seriously, all branches of the military are great. but of course the army is where it’s at

[quote]SergeantQ wrote:
There are a ton of programs depending upon the branch of service. I think what screws a lot of recruits is not knowing what questions to ask or asking the right questions. There are plenty of officers positions across the spectrum that are short manned due to the demand and income potential of their civilian counterpart. Due to this shortage, the military would be willing to pay for continued education for an extended commissioning commitment. Pilots extra 7 or 8 or 10 years, doctors in same range as well as nursing and so forth.

I suggest you figure out and research what possible jobs you would want then be prepared to ask a lot of questions to the recruiter tailored at those specific position(s).[/quote]

Nailed it. I found www.branchorientation.com for researching jobs and have been looking into the various listings. Thanks, SergeantQ.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
to the OP. actually just finished validating some EOD units before they moved to their mob station. EOD seems pretty badass IMO. never done any kind of training and haven’t been with a unit personally, but they all seemed pretty squared away, as well as higher up seems to baby them almost as much as the sf guys.

remember too, as an officer you will be required to get AT LEAST a secrect security clearance. once you get out, that is an EXTREMELY valuable tool. hell, they have websites dedicated to listing jobs that require you already to have a security clearance. that always looks sexy on u’re resume.[/quote]

I agree on the EOD badassery. A few of my loved ones have expressed disinterest in that particular possiblity, but it calls to me, so whatevs.

I’ve been stressing about ‘what to do’ for a while now. Definitely appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts and experiences.

lol.

kinda bullshit sgtQ for you to put something out there like that. i come from a private military school is alabama that has produced over 200 generals and admirals. just because you’re not a ring knocker (west pointer for the civies) doesn’t mean you won’t get any higher than full bird.

you know the airforce used to administer their PT test on a STATIONARY BIKE!? hahaha. wussies.

but seriously, all branches of the military are great. but of course the army is where it’s at[/quote]
Through my travels and “off-line” communications with various officers with my sister services, it is a political nightmare gaining rank past Bird if you do not have some sort of “training” or Academy backing to support. However, there are the exceptions such as pilots who gain rank like crazy but often come to a standstill. Look at the AF history of Chief of Staffs (pilots anyone, academy graduates). I am not saying it is not possible, but you better have a strong endorsement.

Don’t knock the Bike test until you tried it. I have had to take it in the past and could barely pass that stupid test. A smoker has historically passed this test more often than the people who don’t smoke. Figure that one out. However, officially the AF has finally done away with ergonometry as of this year; About time!

I can’t agree with you more about all brances are great in the end. you build your friends from sister services being deployed and find a new respect. In the end, when or if you are on that convoy or detail overseas, it is you and whoever is your wingman and personally, I didn’t care who it was. Can you shoot straight? Can you carry me if I fall? Will you be there for me if needed and cover my AZZ like I will do for you?

In summary, the AF quality of life is better because it is people first not equipment!(Another shameless shot at my sister services)

I spent 4 years enlisted National Guard (Army)and finished my degree. This December I go active as a 2nd LT (Army). Here is my take on it.

The National Guard needs officers and will jump thru hoops to land one. They are state funded so depending on where you live the education benefits vary. since the first of the year bonuses and incentives have dropped and I expect they will continue to drop until the economy is stable. The Guard is great if you want to pursue another career or school right now ,but beware it does take alot more time commitment than you think. In the national guard you also get to choose the type of job you want and where you want to report for your monthly drill training.

As for Active officers can generate alot of pay and benefits. The skills acquired go along way towards a civilian career if you get out. Most of the time the benefits and incentives require fewer years of service than a Reserve/Guard requirement. Remember in the Active army officers move around and aren’t guaranteed a job or location.

If you go talk to a recruiter you need to talk to one for active and one for the national guard. Don’t listen to one talk about the other. And most recruiters I know don’t see many college educated guys walk in and ask about being an officer ,so ask to be directed to a Gold Bar recruiter (officer recruiter) for each. They won’t lie to you and will double check all promises are in writing in your contract.

My advice is all the benefits are great ,but don’t join the military for money.

[quote]DeadliftDave wrote:
And most recruiters I know don’t see many college educated guys walk in and ask about being an officer ,so ask to be directed to a Gold Bar recruiter (officer recruiter) for each. They won’t lie to you and will double check all promises are in writing in your contract.
My advice is all the benefits are great ,but don’t join the military for money. [/quote]

That right there is crucial. Gold Bar recruiter… got it.
Definitely not considering military for the $$ aspect. I’d go for experience and help pursuing future goals such as grad school and networking connections way down the line.

Grateful for your input.

[quote]SergeantQ wrote:

In summary, the AF quality of life is better because it is people first not equipment!(Another shameless shot at my sister services)

[/quote]

lol.

really sgtQ?

come on now.

be serial.

on an unrelated note, had an AF buddy of mine crash at my place the day i left for orders. picked up his green (is that the color?) boots b/c in the dark they looked like the acu boots.

yeah, then drove 4 hours to report in. what a great fucking experience. lol.

don’t join the af OP. i tried lifting with some air force dudes the other week and they started crying. like tears. from lifting weights.

One think to consider too a few guys mentioned it is that Army officer training is very highly sought after in the civilian world. 75% of 1LTs don’t stay on to become Captains. I’d bet a large percentage find higher paying jobs later. If you plan to compliment your education by picking a similar branch you will gain alot of useful knowledge. Another option is to find an Army Branch that sounds fun and you will always have you skills and training as a back up plan in case you ever need to change you mind later on in your civilian career. I know alot of guys hate on the Logistics / Combat Support branches ,but those officers make alot of bank when they get out.
There are a few routes to becoming an officer and the Gold Bar recruiter can help you pick which one fits you the best.

So there’s no love for going Infantry? 10 mile ruck marches, night time land nav, and constant malnourishment?

Anyone?

[quote]DeadliftDave wrote:

There are a few routes to becoming an officer and the Gold Bar recruiter can help you pick which one fits you the best. [/quote]

That’s my plan, then. I’m in Indianapolis and am running internet searches on where to go to talk to someone. Again, greatly appreciate the help.

i tried lifting with some air force dudes the other week and they started crying. like tears. from lifting weights.

[/quote]

I hope you put 'em through some widowmaker squat sets!

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
So there’s no love for going Infantry? 10 mile ruck marches, night time land nav, and constant malnourishment?

Anyone?[/quote]

QUEEN OF BATTLE BABY!!!

crossed rifles all the way

[quote]Rev1911 wrote:

I hope you put 'em through some widowmaker squat sets!

[/quote]

hmm, i think we were doing tricep kickbacks with a bosu ball. SgtQ would know

:stuck_out_tongue:

btw dave, is that statement backed up? 75% of ALL 1LT’s? i find that a tad hard to believe

WolBarret wrote:

Anyone?

QUEEN OF BATTLE BABY!!!

crossed rifles all the way[/quote]

Who’s that skinny kid on the left? Did he fall into the shot?

WolBarret wrote:

Anyone?

QUEEN OF BATTLE BABY!!!

crossed rifles all the way[/quote]

Ranger Qualified SF. And there’s a cheesy SOB standing beside him.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:

Ranger Qualified SF. And there’s a cheesy SOB standing beside him.[/quote]

lol. it was my commissioning ceremony dammit. cut a butterbar some slack.

in all seriousness though, that guy went on and passed selection. he’s about midway through the Q-course right now.

WolBarret wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:

in all seriousness though, that guy went on and passed selection. he’s about midway through the Q-course right now.
[/quote]

I don’t even know what that means and I’m impressed.

Gonna go look it up now.

WolBarret wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:

[/quote]

Cool beans.

[quote]Rev1911 wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:

I don’t even know what that means and I’m impressed.

Gonna go look it up now.
[/quote]

Basically, don’t pick a fight with this guy. Your best bet is to hit and run. But he’ll probably outrun you. Have a car ready.

Only the lucky ones get the crossed rifles… I’m not one of the lucky ones :frowning: (however, I did my enlisted time in the IN, so that’s my saving grace!)