Question for Military Guys

I’ve got a quick question about for those of you who are in the military or know about military regulations. I remember back when Clinton was presidents a couple of guys in the military (don’t recall which branch) got in trouble for making jokes about Clinton, which is apparently prohibited in front of an inferior officer. I feel like the rule was called article 17 or something, but I’m stretching my mind back several years here.

I tried googling it but came up empty. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? Could you clarify the specifics of this rule for me? Thanks in advance.

You are referring to Article 88 of the Uniformed Code of Military Justice.

ART. 88. CONTEMPT TOWARD OFFICIALS
Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

The article is usually only enforced when the contemptuous words are used in a public statement, not when used around the office or in casual conversation. This only applies to commissioned officers and not to enlisted members. Enlisted members would likely be charged under article 134 for conduct prejudicial to the good order and discipline of the Armed Forces.

Cool, thanks for the help!

The Army wouldn’t have had anybody left if they booted everyone who made jokes about Clinton…seriously.

[quote]hedo wrote:
The Army wouldn’t have had anybody left if they booted everyone who made jokes about Clinton…seriously.[/quote]

Marine Corps as well.

Obama jokes are pretty plentiful in Fort Campbell. I really try nt to say much about him at work BUT here’s a link OPFOR | To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. I’ll never shut up

I think that it is unfortunate that military members would bad-mouth any sitting Commander-in-chief. I think it degrades public confidence in our forces. We (The Military) are all volunteers and given an oath. That should mean something.

[quote]pparris wrote:
I think that it is unfortunate that military members would bad-mouth any sitting Commander-in-chief. I think it degrades public confidence in our forces. We (The Military) are all volunteers and given an oath. That should mean something.[/quote]

Yes, but we are not automatons and I believe service to your country in the manner you serve gives you the greatest right of all to be critical of those you disagree with - HOWEVER

I commend your personal code of conduct and the officers I respected the most were the ones who may disagree with the President on some issues, but will not allow troop morale or conduct to be lessened by unguarded criticisms made by its officers. Thank you for holding a high standard and for your service, sir.

Well I’m sure their were service members out there that had a problem with Bush. The thing is, I never heard of anyone getting the UCMJ throw at them for saying somthing negative about him.