Question For Dan John

i believe a side press is when you press the dumbel overhead while you bend at the torso, kind of getting under the weight. If im not mistaken, it is also called a bent press.

2XBW military press? good luck w/ that

Oh crap, I meant 1xbodyweight military press.

that would be badass though…

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
I’m lookin at the long term goal of a double BW Push Press.[/quote]

you should plan on entering the olympics or strong man events with a double bodyweight push press. my goal is to hit a clean (no drugs) and raw (no gear except elbow sleeves) bench of 2x bw. maybe in mid 2006. right now i’m a little bit above 1.6x with my push press at 1.13x. good luck to you. laters pk

Body weight overhead squat, for one will do, but after increasing my bench and squat again.

[quote]Danny John wrote:
For some, kilos…for the rest of us, pounds. [/quote]

LOL! I’ll just keep on cleanin’…

[quote]Zulu wrote:
I’m going to experiment with continental cleans. I was under the imperssion that the clean & jerks performed by O-lifters were ~the~ way to maximize poundage overhead. I’ve always wondered why the rules never read: “Get max weight from the ground to overhead”. [/quote]

Zulu,

The rule for the old-school clean and jerk was that the bar could not touch the body at any point before it was racked on the shoulders - the bar had to remain 'clean' of the body. This distinguished the C+J and Snatch from the continental variations of these lifts.
     This rule was changed when OL technique was refined. OLers discovered the strongest technique involved just brushing the bar with their hips during the end of the pull, pushing it upward rather than outward.
    There are rules for the OLs. for instance, you can't press out the lift at all - you have to drop right under it and begin the recovery in the jerk or snatch with straight arms.

PKR and others,

About a month or so ago, I hit a fairly easy 410 Push Press @ 265 bdwt. I am working my way down to 250lbs so this would be an even 500. The problem with OLing has always been that my clean is way behind my jerk. My best clean is 365 and that was a tough one.

I know that in order to make the move towards 500, I’ll have to specalize at some point. Right now, my training is pretty varied because I am still playing football but I may start a bit more specialized Push Press work soon.

The funny thing is, I was stuck at 370 for what seemed like EVER…then I started using bands for bench and incline, then boom out of nowhere, my Push Press went up.

Ross,

So the O-lifts we currently see on TV are the continental variety?

Is there a (stronger) way to get a barbell up overhead other than a regular squat clean and split jerk? Because if there isn’t the rules might as well read “Get the weight overhead from the ground”. Anything else wouldn’t need rules as it’s already counterproductive.

Zulu,

No, Ross was talking about “thigh brush” which is simply when the bar is pulled very close to the body, it will sometimes “brush” up against the thighs. A contintental uses stops, i.e., you rest it on your thighs, then your stomach, then up to your shoulders. The current O-lifts are explosive, no stopping. The difference is that in the old days, thigh brush would have been illegal, whereas today, it is not.

Zulu,

What we see on TV is the Clean and Jerk and Snatch with a hip brush permitted.
    A few illegal movements that would be permitted in the continental style:

*Pulling from the hang
*Catching the bar on the chest before whipping the elbows around in the clean
*Pressing out in the snatch and jerk.

Having these rules keeps each of the olympic lifts one clean motion.

Are any of those viable methods to get more weight overhead?

I don’t see how I can rest the weight on the stomach or get the bar to the chest without whipping the elbows.

Let’s say there were no rules and your life depended on it. How would you get a barbell overhead using only your body?

Zulu,

You are really thinking way too much on this. Think of a rock lift…you just get it up any way you can rather than in a smooth, quick motion.

The continental lift was brought about as a means to set the bar for overhead pressing movements along time ago. Why they named it continental is beyond me.

The jist is, you get the bar to your shoulders anyway possible. Use your imagination and just lift it. if you can rest it on your thighs, great. You don’t have a “protruding” belly, then arch your back and stick what gut you have out and use it.

Remember, it was nothing more than a way to shoulder the weight. Hell, you could just set the bar in a squat rack and your already there. Or whatever.

Think less, Lift more.

My only point here is that I don’t think this will allow for more poundage than a conventional explosive clean.

That depends on how well you can clean, how good your tech. is, etc.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
PKR and others,

About a month or so ago, I hit a fairly easy 410 Push Press @ 265 bdwt. I am working my way down to 250lbs so this would be an even 500. The problem with OLing has always been that my clean is way behind my jerk. My best clean is 365 and that was a tough one.

I know that in order to make the move towards 500, I’ll have to specalize at some point. Right now, my training is pretty varied because I am still playing football but I may start a bit more specialized Push Press work soon.

The funny thing is, I was stuck at 370 for what seemed like EVER…then I started using bands for bench and incline, then boom out of nowhere, my Push Press went up.[/quote]

your stats are impressive where they are right now. the oly lifts are a lot about technique. have you ever been coached by a proper oly coach. it might be well worth it for yourself. How deep are you catching the clean? I have never done a regular clean. i always power clean but i have noticed that i always go a little lower with the higher intensity weights. i’ve never been coached.

if you lost a lot of excess body fat it would make your stats even more so impressive. Go down to 10% or below like what CT did. I don’t think you will lose strength. If anything you will be faster and quicker. laters pk

[quote]Zulu wrote:
Are any of those viable methods to get more weight overhead?

I don’t see how I can rest the weight on the stomach or get the bar to the chest without whipping the elbows.

Let’s say there were no rules and your life depended on it. How would you get a barbell overhead using only your body?[/quote]

I would lie on the floor and crwl under it.

Life saved!

[quote]pkradgreek wrote:
IL Cazzo wrote:
PKR and others,

The funny thing is, I was stuck at 370 for what seemed like EVER…then I started using bands for bench and incline, then boom out of nowhere, my Push Press went up.

your stats are impressive where they are right now. the oly lifts are a lot about technique. have you ever been coached by a proper oly coach. it might be well worth it for yourself. How deep are you catching the clean? I have never done a regular clean. i always power clean but i have noticed that i always go a little lower with the higher intensity weights. i’ve never been coached.

if you lost a lot of excess body fat it would make your stats even more so impressive. Go down to 10% or below like what CT did. I don’t think you will lose strength. If anything you will be faster and quicker. laters pk[/quote]

PK,

I am a certified USAW coach and I have trained with a really super coach as well, a guy who has trained quite a few national schoolage champs, but still my tech. was stuck. It got to the point where it was maybe one or two very small details holding me back. I guess I just never wanted to specialize in OL enough to really go at it full time because I play football. For now, I am going to concentrate on the Push Press.

I was also thinking about a 500lb incline (double bdwt) but my Incline bench broke haha. I was at 430 for 2 singles…but the bench was old and started to fall apart. I guess until I can buy a new one, it’s all about the push press haha.

As far as getting leaner…I’m working on it right now. I am going down from 270 to 250…I think I was 262 the other day, so I’m not far off. But, I guess around here I suck unless I am 3% and 185lbs HAHA.

check it out

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/Hoffman/wl/wl06a.htm

descriptions of all the exercises listed on that hoffman standard page

from the look of it, it’s the original stuff as written by hoffman himself

chapters 6 & 7 are the pertinent material here

Dr Feelgood,

Thanks for that, I didn’t even think to look there. I should have known.

Awesome.