Question For Cy Willson: 4-Hydroxyisoleucine

Cy, I stocked up on 4-hydroxyisoleucine before the company stoped producing it. I’ve been taking 3 caps (375 mg.) with my post workout Surge. As you may know 4-hydroxyisoleucine is purported to increase the body’s insulin response to a given dose of carbs. Further, it may increase muscles’ sensitivity to insulin.

What is your opinion of this supplement? Should I seek out another source for it?

Thanks,

Crowbar

[quote]crowbar524 wrote:
Cy, I stocked up on 4-hydroxyisoleucine before the company stoped producing it. I’ve been taking 3 caps (375 mg.) with my post workout Surge. As you may know 4-hydroxyisoleucine is purported to increase the body’s insulin response to a given dose of carbs. Further, it may increase muscles’ sensitivity to insulin.

What is your opinion of this supplement? Should I seek out another source for it?

Thanks,

Crowbar[/quote]

Hi Crowbar. Yes, I remember the purported claims regarding the molecule, but never really took a close and hard look at it. I’m heading to bed but I’ll take a look and see what I can find, then report back.

Crowbar,

I took at look, as best I could at some of the literature. The potential improvement in insulin sensitivity and increased muscle glycogen stores are both nice benefits. I’m guessing one probably has an increased appetite (at least for some time) when using this as well.

My only critiquing points would be it almost sounds sulfonylurea-like in terms of pharmacological effects. With such compounds, you generally see an increase in fat mass (adipose is sensitized as well) and more worrisome to me, the direct stimulation of pancreatic beta-cells makes me wonder about potential “desensitization” or “exhaustion” that’s commonly seen/mentioned with such therapy.

So, if you’re having success with this product, I personally wouldn’t discontinue using it. However, I would make certain not to use it for prolonged periods of time. I’d probably make sure that I wasn’t using it for more than 25% of the year.

Hope this helps.

Thanks much Cy!

Crowbar