Question for Cy - Guggul Research

Cy could you please comment on this study?

Guggulsterone activates multiple nuclear receptors and induces CYP3A gene expression through the pregnane X receptor.
J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2004 Aug;310(2):528-35. Epub 2004 Apr 01.
PMID: 15075359 [PubMed - in process]

At the end it says that researchers found that guggul binds to Estrogen and Progesterone receptors. I have been taking HOT-ROX for about 3 months now and have been experiencing great results but I want to make sure it is safe for me (a male) to take long term. Thanks!

[quote]bdog527 wrote:
Cy could you please comment on this study?

Guggulsterone activates multiple nuclear receptors and induces CYP3A gene expression through the pregnane X receptor.
J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2004 Aug;310(2):528-35. Epub 2004 Apr 01.
PMID: 15075359 [PubMed - in process]

At the end it says that researchers found that guggul binds to Estrogen and Progesterone receptors. I have been taking HOT-ROX for about 3 months now and have been experiencing great results but I want to make sure it is safe for me (a male) to take long term. Thanks![/quote]

Well, again, as with the vitex question, people often rush to conclusions when they see these things. Questions that you have to ask yourself. If it binds to a given receptor, exactly how well does it bind? If it does bind well, the next question which must be asked is, does it result in transcription and start the cascade towards an end product(s) as the endogenous ligand would? If so, how strong is this effect?

Anyhow, that’s my mini rant. The answer is yes, it has been shown to bind to the ER, alpha subtype in fact, but it was found to be a very weak agonist. That’s good.

Secondly, the binding affinities pointed out in the two studies I’ve seen, weren’t all that impressive to begin with.

Last, it’s important to realize that there’s always room for error with these particular assays, unfortunately, unless you’ve done them yourself, most people don’t realize that. This isn’t to say they are worthless, but merely that it’s important (as the authors will often mention) to confirm their findings in future studies. Just to demonstrate what I’m talking about, you can look at this study and then Burris, et al., Mol Pharmacol. 2004 Dec 16 and you’ll see conflicting data in terms of agonistic activity at the ER-alpha.

Thank you Cy.