Question for Competitors: Hunger and Carbs

For those that have prepped for a contest did you all notice a difference in hunger depending on carb placement and training time?

I am about to start my first real cut and have been constantly hungry. I usually train around 6 pm and would keep all my carbs pre and post training. For the past week and a half I have been training at 10-11 am spreading my carbs through out the day and find that I am a lot more hungry.

I was avg. 2800-3200 cal a day but, in the last week and a half avg. 3400-3700 cal today I ate 4500 cal 500g of carbs.

You’re feeling famished on 3400+ cals ?

not sure if serious

[quote]Ghost_Panther wrote:

not sure if serious [/quote]

Did you even read the post?

OP, I have not competed but, do find that eating carbs at every meal or eating frequently does change my appetite. I especially find that I tend to crave carbs more.

Why are you not keeping your carbs around your WO? A time thing?

[quote]JFG wrote:
Why are you not keeping your carbs around your WO? A time thing?[/quote]

I still keep most around training but, since I have been training earlier in the day I can not seem to go carb free starting at 1pm. When I was training later it was easier to avoid carbs until then.

I also wanted to raise my carb intake at the start of the cut.

Is this like a slow cut? Only reason I ask is that 3500 was Dorian’s low day. Hard to judge, but I would like to know the rationale behind the numbers you have chosen.

[quote]tuttle wrote:
Is this like a slow cut? Only reason I ask is that 3500 was Dorian’s low day. Hard to judge, but I would like to know the rationale behind the numbers you have chosen.[/quote]

I have not started my cut.

Those calories where what I was eating pre planning to cut. I wanted to take about 2 weeks to really record intake before choosing a start point. However, since training earlier in the day I find I am eating more/hungrier.

I am 20 yrs old, 5’10, 190 lbs

How fat are you at 5’10 and 190? If you are super fat I don’t recommend a huge cut, perhaps like a 3 day diet and one off day or something. You’re in a great age to grow muscle, so perhaps try to just change your composition.

Also, most of the comments above from everyone here are people trying to figure out what you are telling them. It will benefit you more, and the rest of us, if you give us the info we need to give an informed answer.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]Ghost_Panther wrote:

not sure if serious [/quote]

Did you even read the post?

OP, I have not competed but, do find that eating carbs at every meal or eating frequently does change my appetite. I especially find that I tend to crave carbs more.[/quote]

what on earth is your problem? says he’s CONSTANTLY (constantly means all the time) hungry … says he’s taking in well over 3000 cals… regardless of carb placement I find it hard to comprehend how even the most hardcore macronator could be feeling so hungry on such a high amount of food.

[quote]tuttle wrote:
How fat are you at 5’10 and 190? If you are super fat I don’t recommend a huge cut, perhaps like a 3 day diet and one off day or something. You’re in a great age to grow muscle, so perhaps try to just change your composition.

Also, most of the comments above from everyone here are people trying to figure out what you are telling them. It will benefit you more, and the rest of us, if you give us the info we need to give an informed answer.[/quote]

If he’s super fat at 5’10 190, he shouldn’t be prepping for a bodybuilding show…

OP, if you’re not already seeing a solid 6 pack in the mirror, along with a reasonable amount of vascularity, at that height and weight, I feel like you may have a problem. My profile picture on here is me at almost that exact height and weight, and I’d estimate that picture is at least 10-15 lbs off from true contest condition.

I honestly thought you were gonna weigh at least 250 lbs when you said you were that hungry all the time on 3400 calories.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]tuttle wrote:

Also, most of the comments above from everyone here are people trying to figure out what you are telling them. It will benefit you more, and the rest of us, if you give us the info we need to give an informed answer.[/quote]

If he’s super fat at 5’10 190, he shouldn’t be prepping for a bodybuilding show…

OP, if you’re not already seeing a solid 6 pack in the mirror, along with a reasonable amount of vascularity, at that height and weight, I feel like you may have a problem. My profile picture on here is me at almost that exact height and weight, and I’d estimate that picture is at least 10-15 lbs off from true contest condition.

I honestly thought you were gonna weigh at least 250 lbs when you said you were that hungry all the time on 3400 calories.[/quote]

If OP labors for a living 3400 calories wouldn’t be much at all. I do a lot of lifting at my job, managing a produce department, and I maintain 165# at 5’8" on a lot more food than OP is eating. My maintenance is around 4000 or higher depending on the hours I’m putting in.

hunger and carbs during prep regardless of placement… no carbs=hungry and grumpy. carbs=hungry and happy