Question For Bouncers

I have to agree with Bodyguard on this one, the most important aspect is a cool head and being in good relations with everybody that you work with, because ultimately it doesnt matter how tough you are if some guy has 10 friends waiting for you outside. I worked as bouncer at some hiphop clubs in Oakland, CA. and i saw some pretty crazy shit;two bouncers got stabbed, one got shot, and one got intentionally hit by a car, so dont do it to be tough, but take it as a job that gives you good pay for a few hours a night, but it is not worth risking your life.

I spent about seven years fighting in Silver and Golden Gloves from my teens to my early twenties, but in all honesty I tried to get in as few fights as possible, because you never know who has a weapon. But on the other hand, being a bouncer will get you laid like no other, and the more cocky you act the more they love you, especially if they are from out of town, so reap the rewards when you can.

Distant works too. Just focusing on the job instead of the women. Don’t get distracted by the chicks – just do your job. No need to seek them out or hit on them, they’ll come to you.

Wearing a bouncer’s uniform is like a magic formula for drawing women to you. Just don’t let it turn your head. Safety of the crew is priority 1.

depending on the situation some good actin skills can help. A guy i worked on the door would go bannanas. I mean, flip, if he was challanged.

Straight in at the throat and kick out the legs, and when on top, puntuate a slap by saying…

do…slap
not…slap
do…slap
that…slap.

Very convincing. He generated a reputation for not being intimidated.

It depends where you work. Offering a ciggarette and calming someone down works in the right venue. Meatheads with no savvy can work in the shite places, if you look smart and have some social skills and are polite, there will be a place for you to work. You will probably have a better chance of survival too!

Oh, and having a team that supports you is it all. When i worked 5 of us kept a door safe from 200 footy holligans. It was about keeping them out, not being intimidated, or looking like i wasn’t intimidated, and sticking together.

May i NEVER repeat that again.

Great to have done it, but that was scary.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I’m gonna give this a shot. I work as a personal trainer over the summer, but right now I’m out of a job, and there are a lot of clubs around here that cater to college students.

I have a couple questions though that you experienced guys can help me with.

1. I have no experience “bouncing.” I know this will bite me in the ass when it comes to interviewing, so how should I work around this?

2. I have no martial arts experience. Is this required to be a bouncer? I have been in my fair share of scraps, especially since the kids I run with are a bunch of cocky, alcoholic rednecks that subsist on fighting and drinking. I managed to hold my own in most of the fights I have been in, and I was able to win a few, but I have no formal training. I can throw fists alright, and I can use my body well (4 years varsity football, 1 year college rugby on a ranked team. How should I work around this? And to be honest, I’m not going to enroll in MMA because I don’t need anything getting in the way of my training. If I get a job, I will probably get some self-defense books, but thats about it.

Thanks for the help.

[quote]ScrappyAsHell wrote:

1. I have no experience “bouncing.” I know this will bite me in the ass when it comes to interviewing, so how should I work around this?

2. I have no martial arts experience. Is this required to be a bouncer? I have been in my fair share of scraps, especially since the kids I run with are a bunch of cocky, alcoholic rednecks that subsist on fighting and drinking. I managed to hold my own in most of the fights I have been in, and I was able to win a few, but I have no formal training. I can throw fists alright, and I can use my body well (4 years varsity football, 1 year college rugby on a ranked team. How should I work around this? And to be honest, I’m not going to enroll in MMA because I don’t need anything getting in the way of my training. If I get a job, I will probably get some self-defense books, but thats about it.
    [/quote]

So you are wondering how to get around your lack of experience and lack of formal skills (and no real desire to learn them)? The only thing that you have going for you is you are sort of big and you have been in a few fights, some of which you won. If you can’t talk yourself into a small job at a quiet pub, I’d say you also lack the skill to talk a drunk asshole out of a bar without creating a scene.

It really depends on the club and atmosphere. Some clubs, the bouncer is there to look tough and kick ass. They encourage the ‘gorilla’ type look and attitude. Other clubs are much more discreet. It always helps to have the big guys working, but smaller guys have thier role.
I’m short, 5’8, and under 200. I worked club security for three years and I did a good job. I was never an enforcer. Being small has it’s advantages- you blend in with a crowd, so you can sit back and observe. You blend in, so they don’t see you coming. You are not a big target, so some drunk asshole with something to prove is not as likely to come gunning for you. You are not as intimidating, so often people aren’t as scared to talk to you.
When you think of the word ‘bouncer’ you think of a big brawler who would rather stomp your face then talk. You say ‘club security’ and a more professional image comes to mind. I always prided myself on preventing conflicts. If I could remove somebody from the club, and they or their friends thank me on the way out, I did a good job. That guy is coming back another night to spend his money, he won’t be waiting for me in the parking lot, no police will be involved, no worries about lawsuits or liabilities.
Good bouncing is 90% observation and communication, 10% or less fighting. Then again, that is just my opinion. Some joints are all about the fighting and busting heads. You probally want to avoid those places.

[quote]combatmedic wrote:
Good bouncing is 90% observation and communication, 10% or less fighting. Then again, that is just my opinion. Some joints are all about the fighting and busting heads. You probally want to avoid those places.[/quote]

Totally agree with this part of the post. If you are relying on the 10% fighting to get your job done, you are a liability to your employer, not an asset.

[quote]ScrappyAsHell wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

I think I’m gonna give this a shot. I work as a personal trainer over the summer, but right now I’m out of a job, and there are a lot of clubs around here that cater to college students.

I have a couple questions though that you experienced guys can help me with.

Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

I originally got into bouncing after working behind the bar. My employer got a chance to see how I handled myself. I just started off filling in one night after one of the boys needed to go and get some stitches in his head.

As for MMA and martial arts, no, you don’t need them. Most guys who do martial arts can’t handle themselves. You do need to know what you are doing and be able to hold your own. Remember, you are not there to go toe-to-toe with people. You are their to restrain and remove if necessary.

When you get on a crew, find out who the baddest man on the crew is, and start asking him stuff after a few months. Find the veterans and learn from them.

[quote]Northcott wrote:
I bounced for a couple years, and wasn’t a big guy at all: I’m about 6’2" and at the time my weight went from 185 to 200 lbs. Granted, I was damned cut, so that was pretty straight-up muscle mass, but that’s still not huge. Not by a long shot.

Thing is, most people get this idea stuck that bouncing is about size, strength, or kicking the hell out of people. Or all three. It’s not.

It’s more about awareness, confidence, and a cool head. Seeing the pattern of the trouble before it starts, intervening, talking people down from an agitated state, and keeping the peace. If it comes to a fight, it’s not about being Bruce Lee. Most nightclubs pay shit wages, and it’s not worth a punch in the mouth for that cash. So bouncers gang up, grab the jackass, and eject them with minimum fuss.

Sure, fights happen. And yes, you should know how to handle yourself in one. No, you’re not expected to be an action hero. Any good manager will not hire someone who’s going into the job with something to prove.

Granted, at the club I worked at, I was one of the smaller guys. One dude that we nicknamed “House” was only 5’10", but tipped the scales at over 300 lbs. Strongest bastard I’ve ever met. Two other guys went on to compete in Strongman competitions, and several were football players.

Whole crew respected each other though, regardless of size. What matters most is having your shit in order, and being a stand-up kind of guy.[/quote]

I’ve been bouncing for 6 years at a large club in the Hampton’s and Northcott sums up everything I could have possibly said quite well. I’m a little bigger 6’3 250# but this advice holds true.

Also with bouncing it somewhat depends on who you know. I have been working at a college club for a little over a year now and got set-up with the job by one of my friends who I played with on the school?s football team. The club?s manager gets approached by a lot of guys to work but unless they are truly huge or they know someone already on the staff they don?t get hired. Most of the guys on the staff knew someone who recommended them. It really comes down to who they can trust.

[quote]Northcott wrote:

An asshole is an asshole no matter your size, man. :wink: One of the guys I worked with was 6’8" and 380… just a hulking brute. Nice guy. Does the strongman circut up here now.

Jamie and I often worked the back of the bar, on opposite corners of the dancefloor. When he was bored, he’d flag me over and get me to go in and talk to the people 'cause he knew that if they were going to go quietly, they’d go with me… and if they were looking for a fight, they’d swing at me. I was big enough so that someone could look tough by taking me down, but not so big that my size was a deterrent.

There’s always one in the crowd.

Bikers hung out in the second bar I worked in: Satan’s Choice (big up here, merged with Hell’s Angels a few years back) used to hang in the back corner every Friday night, like clockwork. So long as they were left alone, or given respect when dealt with, things were cool. Every now and again one of the university jackasses (two in town, one known for knuckleheaded football players) would try to look tough by eyeballing one of the Choice, or sometimes even lipping off.

Yeah, you can guess how that would end.

[/quote]

good old K-W…unless i’m way off, I think the bar you are talking about no longer exists…a shame.

Get recommended.

If you dont fit after a few days, then you will no longer be on the door.

There are a lot of poor door people out there, and there is only one way to learn, and that is to work.

In at the deep end, i’m afraid.

Give it a go, be one of a few who do!

Good luck and keep safe.

I am just a little bigger than you and was also considering bouncing to help out with some money for college. I didn’t really pursue it, mainly because I wasn’t THAT interested and because I found a job that better fit my schedule.

I recently started MMA and after being choked out by guys who weigh 130 lbs. soaking wet, I can tell you that all that size doesn’t really mean a whole lot against a trained fighter. Fortunately for bouncers, most trained fighters have their shit together enough to avoid street fights even though they could do some damage. You’d be breaking up fights among drunk guys who might lift weights, but don’t really know what they’re doing in a fight. But still, a small guy with a lot of heart can humble a big man very quickly. Why not learn some basic boxing and ground work to help you out?

As far as the size of bouncers, it definitely varies. In Virginia, I’ve walked into bars where I was bigger than ALL the bouncers (I’m only 5’11, 225). But, had I been stupid enough to start some shit, they would’ve kicked my ass. Numbers and experience means a lot.

So make sure you have a good team around you, and some formal fight training wouldn’t hurt. Tossing a barbell is much different than tossing a grown man.

I have been in the martial arts for 24 years and even thougth it is an asset, it will not be the most important one on the job as a bouncer if you are constently getting into fights there is something wrong.
even in the rougthest clubs that i have worked I get into one to two figths every 8 weeks and that is mainly because I have let my guard down and become complacent.
And lookingh intimitating is useless if you cant back it up with some skill.
Good Luck Fluffy

Yeah, drove by there the other week and it was a parking lot. That caused a little bit of a double-take. Didn’t even know it was closed, never mind flattened.

This whole thread’s like some kind of Twilight Zone episode – like a reunion with a crew I don’t remember working with. Awful lot of familiar opinions and sentiments here. :slight_smile:

[quote]Northcott wrote:
good old K-W…unless i’m way off, I think the bar you are talking about no longer exists…a shame.

Yeah, drove by there the other week and it was a parking lot. That caused a little bit of a double-take. Didn’t even know it was closed, never mind flattened.

This whole thread’s like some kind of Twilight Zone episode – like a reunion with a crew I don’t remember working with. Awful lot of familiar opinions and sentiments here. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

it got demolished back in the summer if i remember right.

When you go talk to the manager, definately make sure you don’t come off as the kind of guy that just wants to pound someone into the ground out in front of the bar. most managers don’t really want that.

Depending on where you work, you will probably be tested early on because of your size. as another poster said, just get the job done efficiently and you’ll have the respect of the other guys on the crew, thus removing any skepticism about your size.

You don’t need to know martial arts or anything, though most of the smaller guys I have worked with knew alot of shit. Coolness under pressure tops that anyway. good luck.

I’ve been in law enforcement, done some bouncing, and I’m about to become an attorney. I’ll add my observations then throw out a question for the guys on the board.

First of all it’s been my overall experience that for the most part trained martial artists, boxers, or even “real” weightlifters are generally not going to be your biggest problem, as they have less to prove.

My bouncing was at a teen club, so my experiences are probably minor league compared to some of these folks. while the crowd was a pretty rough element it was easier because they were smaller and less likely to be intoxicated (although we caught a few trying to sneek drugs or alcohol). I’d say that what these guys are saying is dead-on. When I go to a drinking establishment and see a smaller bouncer I just assume he’s some kind of martial arts stud. Also, consider if the place supplements bouncers with off-duty police? This may not only deter problems with other patrons but with law enforcement but I’ll get to that.

Anyway, almost without fail the times when I’ve had to put hands on some little darling it was because they were either fighting with each other or with another bouncer. I remember once having to wrestle with a pretty good size kid who was sweaty, slippery, extremely agitated and he was fighting with a co-worker. I had to put him in a ju-jitsu lock and lead him out. I later learned that my co-worker not only had a bad habit of grabbing the kids first instead of talking and in this case had used a racial slur toward the kid. Again the quality of your crew is huge.

To contrast the above experience another co-worker seemed to always be at the right place at the right time, not only did he remember the kids personally but was very adedpt at spotting group pattern movements, agitated kids, and he really had an eye for what clothing meant what. As the guys above have said, your crew is huge. In addition, alertness, people skills, and a few good holds or locks will serve you well.

One thing you may want to consider is the potential liability. We live in a highly litigious society and you’re going to have to lay hands on some folks. Furthermore you may have to account to local law enforcement went things go down. At the club where I worked there was an afterhours incident in the parking lot and the kids weren’t even customers just trouble makers. Anyway the local PD had always been particularly worthless when it came to helping us, even on what should have been very good arrests on drugs, weapons, warrants, etc, but they actually investigated this incident because some gang-banger got thumped by a weightlifting bouncer. Anyway you may want to ponder the liability issue.

My question to the board is have any of you ever been sued civilly or had any trouble with the police, or know of anyone who did in the course of your job?

If you’re wondering I’m 5’11 and was 220-230 when I worked there, done a stand up style of jujitsu off n on for years. I’m kinda serious looking but I have a fairly laid back demeanor, and my Spanish is so-so. I’m past 30 and I’d just as soon talk as fight, it’s better in the long run.

I’ve had more than one bouncer tell me a kind word goes a lot farther than a fist. Most of the time you can reason with people before the shit hits the fan. But there’s always the asshole that has to be the exception.