Question For Big Martin

I was reading over your thread concerning the tier system and noticed you referred to gpp strongman exercises several times. In fact, you said that they transferred over greatly to your athlete’s sport. I was looking to add 2 days of GPP training on my off days because my GPP is lacking… i was wondering if you could give me examples of the GPP strongman exercises you used for your athletes in the tier system? thanks

pick up big rock…run

dragging sled with big weight…run

sand bag with weight…run

farmer’s carry…run

hold weight overhead…run

sled dragging, tire flips, various russian complexes with this big strong man log, kettel bells, tons and tons of med ball various throws, hills sprints, sprint jog walks,sledge hammer blows into a tire, whell barrele walks…rb

if you had to suggest GPP exercises for a basketabll player who didn’t have access to kettlebells, sleds, or strongman logs (really just 10-15 lb medicine balls and weights), what would you say? thanks for your help

go and get some!!

They can be used :

throw the med ball and run after it, overhead, underarm ad infinitum. sprint chase until dead.

get a sandbag though, or a bag of gravle frm a DIY place.

If you can, go to a construction site and see if you can nab a kerb stone.

pick up put down, pick, carry, walk.

drill it, rope through and drag.

free, but dont get one made from granite to begin with.

[quote]tallan_30 wrote:
if you had to suggest GPP exercises for a basketabll player who didn’t have access to kettlebells, sleds, or strongman logs (really just 10-15 lb medicine balls and weights), what would you say? thanks for your help[/quote]

i would start out with lots of body weight type circuits…things like burpies, jumping jacks, walking lunges no weight, 10-15 pound med balls are fine for throws just liek he said throw it over head or scoop throw it walk over and get it do it for time 10-12 minutes…alos things like cleans for times with things like a snad bag are really good…do a clean and pres with a light sand bag or even a 25 pound plate for 2 minutes non-stop ect…and u can get a tire for free at a junk yard…rb

hey also if you dont have the parisi warm up videos from elite fitness i sugggesst you get it imedialtely great great benefit to my gpp and conditioning…rb

If you have axcess to a heavy bag, just bear hug and start walking. Very good.

You could also try pushing/pulling cars, wheelbarrow walks, farmers walks, or overhead walks.

When I start whacking my sledgehammer into a big tractor tire my heart rate climbs as if I’m running a 1/4 mile. It’s incredible!

ZEB’s spot on. I whacked a semi tire for several months last year and it kicked my ass.

As you start using heavier hammers, it really get’s going.

try googling Dr. Mike Hartle and Sledgehammer GPP. His series of articles on this would be great to post on this site.

Big martin has really opened my eyes to strongman training for fighters.

Heavy farmers walk coupled with 20m shuttle sprints also kick my ass. start off with 3 sets of 3 and build it up each week. Joe De Franco also has an article on Strong Man training.

use your imagination, anything that looks unorthodox and crazy will work you hard.

other stuff:keg tosses, log walks/flips, heavy bag throws/walks, add X vest!!!

Ally

About 3 generations ago it was what was referred to as “a days work”. Now we call it GPP. Only difference back then it was done for 10-12 hours a day, now we only have to do it for an hour. The species is going down hill fast.

TNT