T Nation

Question AboutMuscle Gains for Athlete (Wrestling)

I got a questions for you guys and Christian. I am looking to wrestling for next season. I've got a friend who is a seasonal wrestler and is very muscular and ripped. The guy is full of energy. Always be power walking. This guy is diesel and ripped. Diesel as in an athletic not bodybuilder.

His traps and back and chest is what makes his really pop out as huge not another jock with abs. I asked him about his training but his is confusing like he would to 5-20 sets of squats and sometimes he would do heavy weights with low reps and light weights with high reps and vice versa. What I would liek to know is I can increase my athletic conditioning and strength and gain more muscle to fat ratio in order to wrestle in a light weight.

I am 152 or more right now and mostly fat I would say at about 12% maybe? What can I do and how can I prepare in the offseason for the pre season? To make sure I don't gas out and etc?

[quote]YakheeDamon wrote:

I am 152 or more right now and mostly fat I would say at about 12% maybe? What can I do and how can I prepare in the offseason for the pre season? To make sure I don’t gas out and etc?[/quote]

12% BF is not mostly fat, but seeing your weight you’re not carrying a whole lot of lean mass

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
YakheeDamon wrote:

I am 152 or more right now and mostly fat I would say at about 12% maybe? What can I do and how can I prepare in the offseason for the pre season? To make sure I don’t gas out and etc?

12% BF is not mostly fat, but seeing your weight you’re not carrying a whole lot of lean mass
[/quote]

I can see my upper abs but is blur. My lower ab is gone. Kinda got a mini tire going on there. My waist size it still about 30 so not too bad but would like more muscle to fat ratio and gain muscle for the athletes.

I think you’re probably closer to 15-18%.

To answer your question, yes you can improve your body composition and your aerobic conditioning and strength endurance. It’s probably best to avoid trying to do all at once. To rephrase a Charles Poliquin quote: You can’t sit on two horses with only one ass.

Since you still have a few months before wrestling season (if memory serves me), I would pick a good program from this site and bust your ass to change your body comp first. I assume you’re in highschool, so trading out ten pounds of fat for ten pounds of muscle should come very easily and quickly (as in two months max). Make sure to follow a clean, healthy diet.

After that, you can focus on strength endurance and conditioning.

I compete in jiu-jitsu competitions and find the following very helpful when preparing for a tournament.

Kettlebell Snatch (1 X 10-20 each arm)
Sandbag lift and carry for 1 minute for distance
Hit a tire with a sledgehammer as fast as possible for 30-45 sec
Wheelbarrow or Farmer’s Walk for 1 minute for distance

Do this circuit 4-5 times. You can start by resting 30 sec btw each exercise, then try to shave that down by 5 sec each week. Rest 2-3 minutes btw circuits. I do this type of routine 3X per week with one added whole body lifting day for a month before a tournament. It works very well for me.

Good luck.

Choas, how would I focus on one strength qualities and such? I mean if I remember correctly if one works for strength for 4 weeks then do strength endurance for 4 weeks and then explosive strength for 4 weeks while I’m working on strength endurance my strength would be loss and vice versa for explosive strength.

[quote]YakheeDamon wrote:
Choas, how would I focus on one strength qualities and such? I mean if I remember correctly if one works for strength for 4 weeks then do strength endurance for 4 weeks and then explosive strength for 4 weeks while I’m working on strength endurance my strength would be loss and vice versa for explosive strength. [/quote]

I don’t mean that you need to try and separate all the different labeled strength qualities. Looking at it this way will only make things more confusing than it has to be. Just lift weights hard for a couple months, and I mean hard. Get pissed off. Bust your ass. All the bullshit you read in articles and in books is meant as much for the entertainment value of novelty as it is about improving your results. The only thing you need to learn is how to do the big lifts correctly and safely. There’s a lot of good information on that on this website (see Dave Tate articles on bench, squat, and deadlift).

After you’ve changed your body comp to where you’re satisified, start on some circuit training, complexes (see Dan John’s complex articles), or a workout like the one I described above for a few weeks to get your wind up for wrestling season.

Thanks.

Any other suggestions?

Any words from Christian Thibaudeau???