T Nation

Question about Weight Gain

If you ate a caloric surplus but ate clean still would you gain a bunch of fat or more muscle than fat? Just curious.

If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.

You shouldn’t but…a big factor is your workout intensity.

Let’s say one were to do 3 lifting sessions a week with some light cardio 3x a week also for 30 minutes.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.[/quote]

Okay, if you were to have a caloric surplus by about 500 calories per day but it all came from clean foods, would you gain more fat or muscle? Assuming you get at least 1g per lb of bodyweight.

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.[/quote]

Okay, if you were to have a caloric surplus by about 500 calories per day but it all came from clean foods, would you gain more fat or muscle? Assuming you get at least 1g per lb of bodyweight.[/quote]

It would suck if everyone gained more fat than muscle with a 500cal surplus by eating only clean food.

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.[/quote]

Okay, if you were to have a caloric surplus by about 500 calories per day but it all came from clean foods, would you gain more fat or muscle? Assuming you get at least 1g per lb of bodyweight.[/quote]

It would suck if everyone gained more fat than muscle with a 500cal surplus by eating only clean food.

[/quote]

So do most people dirty bulk then? Because when I see someone who has gained a lot of muscle they have also added a great deal of fat.

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.[/quote]

Okay, if you were to have a caloric surplus by about 500 calories per day but it all came from clean foods, would you gain more fat or muscle? Assuming you get at least 1g per lb of bodyweight.[/quote]

It would suck if everyone gained more fat than muscle with a 500cal surplus by eating only clean food.

[/quote]

So do most people dirty bulk then? Because when I see someone who has gained a lot of muscle they have also added a great deal of fat.[/quote]

Define dirty.

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.[/quote]

Okay, if you were to have a caloric surplus by about 500 calories per day but it all came from clean foods, would you gain more fat or muscle? Assuming you get at least 1g per lb of bodyweight.[/quote]

It would suck if everyone gained more fat than muscle with a 500cal surplus by eating only clean food.

[/quote]

So do most people dirty bulk then? Because when I see someone who has gained a lot of muscle they have also added a great deal of fat.[/quote]

Define dirty.[/quote]

Basically eating at a calorie surplus but trying to get their calories from whatever they can like burgers/pasta.

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.[/quote]

Okay, if you were to have a caloric surplus by about 500 calories per day but it all came from clean foods, would you gain more fat or muscle? Assuming you get at least 1g per lb of bodyweight.[/quote]

It would suck if everyone gained more fat than muscle with a 500cal surplus by eating only clean food.

[/quote]

So do most people dirty bulk then? Because when I see someone who has gained a lot of muscle they have also added a great deal of fat.[/quote]

Define dirty.[/quote]

Basically eating at a calorie surplus but trying to get their calories from whatever they can like burgers/pasta.[/quote]

I personally just believe there is a point where too many calories, no matter if they are clean or not, will end up turning into fat.

There is a limited amount of muscle the body can build, at least I think.

I rather get a bit softer but know im getting at least enough calories to fuel some muscle building than try getting just enough extra calories in order to not put on any fat but than maybe missing some muscle potential

if that makes any sense

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.[/quote]

Okay, if you were to have a caloric surplus by about 500 calories per day but it all came from clean foods, would you gain more fat or muscle? Assuming you get at least 1g per lb of bodyweight.[/quote]

It would suck if everyone gained more fat than muscle with a 500cal surplus by eating only clean food.

[/quote]

So do most people dirty bulk then? Because when I see someone who has gained a lot of muscle they have also added a great deal of fat.[/quote]

Define dirty.[/quote]

Basically eating at a calorie surplus but trying to get their calories from whatever they can like burgers/pasta.[/quote]

Holy shit…plain pasta has become a “dirty” food now? Burgers and pizza I could fathom, but pasta? Listen, you’re confused. If you did a “bulk” as you say but were only in a 500 kcal surplus eating anything you want or eating “clean” (whatever the fuck that means), but trained consistently and hard, you’re most likely going to put on the same amount of fat and the exact same amount of weight. You’re also more likely to mitigate fat gain if you lift more than 3 times per week.

No-one can give you a cookie-cutter answer for this. It depends… not just on workout intensity or metabolism but also perceptions of what “looking fat” looks like to the individual.

Give a new diet time, then appraise and change numbers up or downwards depending on said appraisal.

Somethings in life you simply have to experience for yourself.

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.[/quote]

Okay, if you were to have a caloric surplus by about 500 calories per day but it all came from clean foods, would you gain more fat or muscle? Assuming you get at least 1g per lb of bodyweight.[/quote]

There’s no way to know one way or another. Way too many factors to consider.

Why do ask though? Are you trying to bulk up? If so, why not just find out what works for you.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.[/quote]

Okay, if you were to have a caloric surplus by about 500 calories per day but it all came from clean foods, would you gain more fat or muscle? Assuming you get at least 1g per lb of bodyweight.[/quote]

There’s no way to know one way or another. Way too many factors to consider.

Why do ask though? Are you trying to bulk up? If so, why not just find out what works for you.[/quote]

Well I’m cutting right now because I had bulked up but I also gained a lot of fat and next time I start to gain weight again I really would like to not gain as much fat. I will probably try carb cycling though next time I bulk up because that’s what I’m doing right now on a cut and it’s awesome.

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.[/quote]

Okay, if you were to have a caloric surplus by about 500 calories per day but it all came from clean foods, would you gain more fat or muscle? Assuming you get at least 1g per lb of bodyweight.[/quote]

There’s no way to know one way or another. Way too many factors to consider.

Why do ask though? Are you trying to bulk up? If so, why not just find out what works for you.[/quote]

Well I’m cutting right now because I had bulked up but I also gained a lot of fat and next time I start to gain weight again I really would like to not gain as much fat. I will probably try carb cycling though next time I bulk up because that’s what I’m doing right now on a cut and it’s awesome.[/quote]

I certainly have the problem of putting on too much fat during a bulk, but that’s because I ate like crap and wasn’t paying attention to how I looked. If you want to minimize fat gain, just pay attention to what you eat and and how you look and be ready to adjust accordingly.
Also like others have said “too much fat” is subjective and will vary depending on personal preference.

What are your stats?

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]Houston Texan wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
If you posed a vaguer question, that would be impressive.[/quote]

Okay, if you were to have a caloric surplus by about 500 calories per day but it all came from clean foods, would you gain more fat or muscle? Assuming you get at least 1g per lb of bodyweight.[/quote]

There’s no way to know one way or another. Way too many factors to consider.

Why do ask though? Are you trying to bulk up? If so, why not just find out what works for you.[/quote]

Well I’m cutting right now because I had bulked up but I also gained a lot of fat and next time I start to gain weight again I really would like to not gain as much fat. I will probably try carb cycling though next time I bulk up because that’s what I’m doing right now on a cut and it’s awesome.[/quote]

I certainly have the problem of putting on too much fat during a bulk, but that’s because I ate like crap and wasn’t paying attention to how I looked. If you want to minimize fat gain, just pay attention to what you eat and and how you look and be ready to adjust accordingly.
Also like others have said “too much fat” is subjective and will vary depending on personal preference.

What are your stats?[/quote]

I’m 6’ 195lbs and I started at 212lbs. I’m not sure about my bodyfat percentage, I can see the outline on my abs, they aren’t that defined, I can also see a bit of a developing adonis belt. I would guess like 14% or something.

depending on how much food you are eating, taking in a 500 calorie surplus by eating nothing but clean foods, would be extremely difficult.

You say you gained a lot of fat during your bulk. But you only wound up at 212 at 6’ tall. Basically you either ate way more than you should have or you dont know how to lift. Lifting only 3 days a week is most likely the problem.

And avoid making generalizations like ‘so most people dirty bulk’. That doesnt make any sense. Everyone is different. I can eat a few cheeseburgers a day and pretty much whatever else I want and I dont lose my abs. Does that mean I clean bulk or dirty bulk? People should eat according to how their body can handle certain macronutrient ratios. If you get fat from eating anything but chicken breasts, broccoli, and sweet potatoes than you just have to bite the bullet and eat those foods. But Id seriously doubt that that is the case.

3 lifting sessions per week just doesnt cut it for someone looking to make serious progress. Cutting or bulking.

I was planning on doing this when I decided to put on mass again, is it too little lifting then?