Question About the Sheiko Program

I’ve copy&pasted this part from the program:

2 WEEK

Monday

1.b.p. 55% 3Х1,65% 3Х1,75% 3Х2,85% 2Х4 (20)
3.b.p. 50% 3Х1,60% 3Х1,70% 3Х1,80% 3Х6 (27)

What does this mean?

what is 1bp? 3bp?

are these 2 workouts per day? or is it (kinda like) a double wave in a single workout?

Can anyone post more sheiko type of programs? Ive seen the original article by boris and the one by reape…basically the same thing

[quote]skullcowboy wrote:
I’ve copy&pasted this part from the program:

2 WEEK

Monday

1.b.p. 55% 3Х1,65% 3Х1,75% 3Х2,85% 2Х4 (20)
3.b.p. 50% 3Х1,60% 3Х1,70% 3Х1,80% 3Х6 (27)

What does this mean?

what is 1bp? 3bp?

are these 2 workouts per day? or is it (kinda like) a double wave in a single workout?

Can anyone post more sheiko type of programs? Ive seen the original article by boris and the one by reape…basically the same thing[/quote]

1 board press, 3 board press.

Double wave, single workout.

I’ve only seen the articles you’re mentioning here. I’ve heard a lot of anecdotal evidence that the workouts need to be eased into a bit, though. People seem to get good results from Sheiko training, but it’s apparently a killer at first.

I’ve just started doing a sheiko routine. There are loads on the net if you google him.

Alternatively, PM me your email addy and I’ll send you some spreadsheets…

1 b.p. and 3 b.p. doesn’t mean a one board press and a three board press!! The b.p. just means regular bench press and the number refers to the order of exercises…
Meaning your first exercise in bench press and your third exercise is your second wave of bench pressing.
In between (the 2nd exercise), there would usually be squats, since Sheiko works squats and bench on the same day.

Thanks everyoe for the answers.

I’m going to use this for the Olympic Press, old style. Any suggestions on how to adapt this program.

I’m thinking of upping the percentages & changing the assitance moves.

If you’re planning on using this for the overhead press, watch carefully for signs of overtraining.
Do change the assistance exercises but don’t change the percentages… they seem moderate until you actually try the routine. The intensity just builds…

[quote]aggro-iron wrote:
If you’re planning on using this for the overhead press, watch carefully for signs of overtraining.
Do change the assistance exercises but don’t change the percentages… they seem moderate until you actually try the routine. The intensity just builds…[/quote]

hey aggro-iron:

I understand your concerns. I know that the context of the sheiko programming is not the press, but the bench press. The differences and reasons why I’d like to modify the sheiko are the following.

1. Frequency and volume: traditionally, the press is done 3-5 or more workouts per week, back in the 20th century “press era”…in this regards, the sheiko program is perfect.

2. Speed: since the press is not a pure grind lift like the bench, it’s more like a quick lift, the level of intensity in order to achieve a relatively high bar speed is higher.

In dynamic effort method for grind lifts…it’s about 50-60%. In OLifts is about 65-75% for speed, aprox.

I think that since the press is not a pure grind lift and not a pure quick lift…I should up a little the intesity.

1. Intensity: back in the days, the press was frequently performed very close to the max…contrary to the cycling of the bench.

2. My level of experience: the most I’ve pressed is 200lbs, I weight like 215 lbs. I don’t have a “presser” physique…in fact I have a squatter physique. The sheiko program call for sets at 50-60%…which is 100-120lbs in my case. But I warmup with 135-155lbs!

3. Assistance: I’d use bent rows as primary as this is my weakness in the press…add in some shoulder work, partials, push press, front squat and OL pulls from time to time. Westside philosophy of assistance works great.

Any oppinions? I’d agree with you on the overtraining…but using the prescribed percentages, maybe is good for a 300+ press…but with a 200lbs, I think reping 100-120 wouldn’t be of much value.

Thanks in advance.

First off, the BP stands for Bench Press, not Board Press. The numberring has to do with how it fits into your workout order for that day. Being a Russian program, they normally do squats and GMs on the same day as bench, hence the nuberring system.

Also, if on your workout you see an exercise called “chest muscles,” those are just standard flys. I think the Shieko workouts are the way to go for Powerlifting, but you have to take into consideration the high amount of restoratives used during these training phases, so if one chooses not to use restoratives, you probobly need to drop off the volume, or throw in some extra days off.