T Nation

Question About Steroid Gains

I have been reading about short steroid cycles and had a question.

If one was to do one of these cycles, or really any type of steroid cycle in general, would all of the results stick around long term, or would future cycles have to be run.

For example, would it be possible for someone to run Test Prop for a 6 week cycle with proper PCT, gain around 5-10 pounds or so, gain some strength, then never do another cycle again in their life while maintaining the size and strength.

I never hear much about how much strength people lose after going off cycle.

I also, don’t see much info regarding short cycles where a followup cycle isn’t planned, such as 6 weeks on and 8 off. What would happen with 6 weeks on and then off forever?

If you intend from the outset to limit your growth, why do a cycle at all? Stay natty and grow with the standard methods. Or are you merely impatient or what?..

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
If you intend from the outset to limit your growth, why do a cycle at all? Stay natty and grow with the standard methods. Or are you merely impatient or what?..[/quote]

I’m not sure how, but I think you misunderstand me. I’m not trying to limit anything, and I’m not sure how you could get that out of what I said. I’m just wondering if I was to do a 6 week cycle without another one planned for the near future, if I would lose my gains over time. The reason I ask is because whenever I see short cycles mentioned, it’s always involving the cycling of “time on” and “time off”.

Very very few people do just one cycle. If you’re gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.

Anyway,

Short term: You will almost assuredly lose at least some of what you gained.

Long term: It’s entirely conceivable that you could reach and surpass your ‘juiced’ best without drugs. It all depends.

[quote]bulletproof_ wrote:
Blacksnake wrote:
If you intend from the outset to limit your growth, why do a cycle at all? Stay natty and grow with the standard methods. Or are you merely impatient or what?..

I’m not sure how, but I think you misunderstand me. I’m not trying to limit anything, and I’m not sure how you could get that out of what I said. I’m just wondering if I was to do a 6 week cycle without another one planned for the near future, if I would lose my gains over time. The reason I ask is because whenever I see short cycles mentioned, it’s always involving the cycling of “time on” and “time off”.

[/quote]

Bulletproof, I think you need to research some more and figure out what exactly youre doing here. Whether you do another cycle or not, are you happy with your size now as far as shoulder width, height, etc. Doing a cycle will stop any of these from growing in the future. And his point was, is the extra 5-10 pounds worth that much?
-BC

[quote]BMC85 wrote:
bulletproof_ wrote:
Blacksnake wrote:
If you intend from the outset to limit your growth, why do a cycle at all? Stay natty and grow with the standard methods. Or are you merely impatient or what?..

I’m not sure how, but I think you misunderstand me. I’m not trying to limit anything, and I’m not sure how you could get that out of what I said. I’m just wondering if I was to do a 6 week cycle without another one planned for the near future, if I would lose my gains over time. The reason I ask is because whenever I see short cycles mentioned, it’s always involving the cycling of “time on” and “time off”.

Bulletproof, I think you need to research some more and figure out what exactly youre doing here. Whether you do another cycle or not, are you happy with your size now as far as shoulder width, height, etc. Doing a cycle will stop any of these from growing in the future. And his point was, is the extra 5-10 pounds worth that much?
-BC
[/quote]

Oh, I see what his point was. I was speaking in a purely theoretical sense however. I never said that I was personally planning to never do a second cycle after a first one, I was just speaking hypothetically.

What I was concerned about was whether I could do a short cycle or two to get myself from 230 to 250 and keep the gains without having to have future cycles planned. I guess it’s just assumed that once people start using then get hooked and never “just stop.”

With a good cycle, proper PCT and training you can keep most of your gains post cycle. But it is safe to say that most people dont just do one cycle, get good gains and never touch them again. -BC

It depends alot on how big you could get naturally. If the biggest you could get naturally is 230 and your genetics just wouldn’t let you get past it, your gains from steroids beyond this point will be more difficult to keep then if you had juiced from 200 to 220.

[quote]bulletproof_ wrote:

what I was concerned about was whether I could do a short cycle or two to get myself from 230 to 250 and keep the gains without having to have future cycles planned. I guess it’s just assumed that once people start using then get hooked and never “just stop.”[/quote]

I did an anavar only cycle 3 months ago and got really good gains (8 pounds). I haven’t lost any of the muscle since, but about 50% of the strength gains.