Question about Starting Weight and increases per cycle ?

As a lighter lifter ie 64kgs/140lbs when starting a 531 cycle would I be better taking 15% off my actual 1 rep maxes ?

My reason for asking is that if I were to add 2.5kg/5lb to my upper body lifts at the end of each cycle that works out to be roughly a 4% increase, where as if I were a 90kg/198lb man that 2.5kg/5lb only works out to be 3% which would mean I would be lifting my actual 1 rep max quicker than my heavier counter part or am I just over analysing it.

1. You are overanalyzling it.

But, one of Jim’s rules is to start too light. You honestly cant go wrong with either.

Why does your bodyweight have anything to do with it? Also, do either one, they’ll both work, but as a relatively weaker lifter your numbers will go up much faster then a more experienced lifter as long as you work hard, so you won’t stall as fast as you might think just because it might only take you about 4 cycles to get to your current maxes.

What are your current maxes?

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What are your current maxes?[/quote]

M current maxes are Squat 130kg/286lb Bench 75kg/165lb Deadlift 160kg/352lb and I’ve been lifting for just over 12 months although I did train before but that was about 25 years ago.

[quote]tredaway wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What are your current maxes?[/quote]

M current maxes are Squat 130kg/286lb Bench 75kg/165lb Deadlift 160kg/352lb and I’ve been lifting for just over 12 months although I did train before but that was about 25 years ago.
[/quote]
Great, so you have a lot of room for improvement, and 5/3/1 will help you get there. Just start, don’t overthink it, and get stronger.

Just take 90% or 85% of your 1RM and roll with it as Jim states. Just make sure you’re not overstating your 1 rep-max in the first place.

Start with 90% - then religiously use 5/3 programming and use the 5/3 periodization. I would recommend using the 5’s Pro and 5’s Jokers for beginners.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Start with 90% - then religiously use 5/3 programming and use the 5/3 periodization. I would recommend using the 5’s Pro and 5’s Jokers for beginners. [/quote]

Hey Jim thank’s for your input :slight_smile: would I be able to use the 5’s Pro and 5’s Jokers for beginners with your 2 day’ a week program ie training day 1 squat, bench plus assistance work then training day 2 deadlift, press plus assistance work ?

[quote]tredaway wrote:

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Start with 90% - then religiously use 5/3 programming and use the 5/3 periodization. I would recommend using the 5’s Pro and 5’s Jokers for beginners. [/quote]

Hey Jim thank’s for your input :slight_smile: would I be able to use the 5’s Pro and 5’s Jokers for beginners with your 2 day’ a week program ie training day 1 squat, bench plus assistance work then training day 2 deadlift, press plus assistance work ?[/quote]

You can but I would advise you work with a coach that knows this program 100%. I train a kid that uses something similar and it requires a lot of work/changes based on bar speed.

Plus we do a lot more than lift so that makes a difference, too. We aim to be better all around.

Thank’s again for getting back to me Jim, At the moment I train mainly at home and only go to the gym once a week in order to do my Squats so don’t really have a trainer I can turn to.

I’m almost 48 years old and weigh around 64kgs / 140lbs at a hight of 5ft 3 so I’m not the youngest or biggest of lifters, I have been training mainly using the 5x5 protocol for about 14 months in that time I’ve managed a 2 x body weight squat, 2.5 x body weight deadlift and about 1.2 x body weight bench although my numbers are quite low I’ve been pleased overall.

The only lift that I’m unsure about regards form is my bench but I believe that of all the lifts that is the one that takes the longest to build up,thats not to say my form on all my lifts is perfect as there is always room for improvement.

How long would you say would be best to stay with the beginners program for before moving on to the regular 531 program or does it come down to how much weight I’m lifting as obviously my number’s are quite low at the moment ?