T Nation

Question About Snatch Pulls

When doing pulls, should I use a weight greater or less than my max snatch?

I use maxium amount of weight i can handle for no less than five reps most of the time.for 6 sets

Use a weight that lets you be as explosive as possible.

The general rule seems to be don’t go any high than +10-20% of your max snatch.

[quote]acc3u wrote:
I use maxium amount of weight i can handle for no less than five reps most of the time.for 6 sets[/quote]

by maximum amount of weight you can handle, do you mean more than your actual max snatch or the same?

i believe the russian coaches said not to use above 90-95% of your full squat snatch max as it affects the pulling mechanics. depends on why you are doing snatch pulls though, if its for olympic lifting i’d follow that rule, if its for sport id say you would probably need to go over your max snatch as its probably not that high

While I am certainly no authority on o lifting, I would agree that it does depend on your weakness.

If your still new to the sport and training technique more than anything else, my advice is to incorporate the snatch pull into a power snatch session. For example, perform two snatch pulls followed by a power snatch. Obviously the weight here is lighter than any kind of max squat snatch, but your training the pull and opening up.

Being explosive is not the point, the weight is light enough that of course you could be explosive and will be during the power snatch, the point is the body mechanics of the pull, done quickly but controlled. As the weight increases, drop to one snatch pull followed by a power snatch.

If you want to train simply the pull for strength, yes, by all means take whatever weight you can handle without reaching technical failure. Sets of five and three are going to treat you well most of the time. A previous poster was concerned it would disrupt the mechanics of the squat snatch.

This is a valid concern, but very different from the classic issue of using a weighted baseball bat or golf club. (If I can make the assumption that this type of thing was where he was going… ) The weight of these implements does not change. We squat to increase leg strength which carries over to increases in both the clean and snatch. The snatch pull or clean pull for that matter is a tool to not unlike the squat, only slightly more specialized, used to increase the strength of the pull for these lifts. Just make sure your pulling up and through and opening up, rather than just pulling a snatch grip deadlift!

Thats about all I can say here. Hopefully it helps and makes sense. I should also make it clear that the first scenario, regarding training technique over strength, is also entirely valid to use for a seasoned, experienced o lifter. Both extremes will benefit, perhaps the unexperienced athlete slightly more though.

kinda yea i dont wanna mess up my form going to heavy. but i just use most weight possibble.

The rule of thumb my O-lifting club is your max snatch +15 kilos for snatch pulls, but its easy enough to feel when the weight is too much.

heres a video of me snatching i think 180lbs

and heres my snatch pulls with 205 lbs. I guess if anybody could critique my form that would be great. Ive never been coached in olympic lifting, at least not snatches, and was wondering how i could improve my form.

While i was doing pulls, i realized that i was starting with the bar to far away from me when I was doing full snatches. Thanks.

Only I see that is glaring is you pull with arms too much. Try and keep the arms straight throughout the pull, thinking “arms like chains” they should only connect you to the barbell. Your legs, hips and back should be all that pull the weight. Your arms don’t bend until you’re pulling under the bar. Hope this helps.

I’m only coming from about 5 yrs exp, but I’m no coach. Try and find a coach in your area is another suggestion.

Only I see that is glaring is you pull with arms too much. Try and keep the arms straight throughout the pull, thinking “arms like chains” they should only connect you to the barbell. Your legs, hips and back should be all that pull the weight. Your arms don’t bend until you’re pulling under the bar. Hope this helps.

I’m only coming from about 5 yrs exp, but I’m no coach. Try and find a coach in your area is another suggestion.

You are pulling with the arms and it looks like you are upright rowing on the snatch pull. Work on relaxing those arms. Instead, follow through more with the hips and fully extend.

Why do you pick up the weight before the lift?

In the snatch pull you drop your heels as you are initiating the final pull with the arms. Use less weight and work on your bar speed and technique.

TNT

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:

Why do you pick up the weight before the lift?[/quote]

I don’t know why I pick up the weight, I guess just to get a feel for it in my hands, I probably should stop cause I’m exerting myself in doing so. Thanks for the advice.

[quote]titopuente wrote:
heres a video of me snatching i think 180lbs[/quote]

You need to be using your max snatch or more! Up to 20% more.
You’re not doing it right though. You’re bending your knees and bowing your head at the top of the lift. You might have the impression you pull it higher but you’re not, you’re just bending yourself to meet the bar, dont do that. Extend your body as tall as possible.
check this vid, there is some snatch pulls too. You don’t really have to pull it any higher than your chest actually. Also pull the elbow upwards, not backwards.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RuzQMKMwtKw
Hope it helps. Keep it up. Technique is tough but it will pay off.