Question About Rest Days

Hey all, I started body building about 2 months ago and have been lifting for a couple of years now. Currently I am mid way through CW’s ABBH program and I just had a quick question.

The program calls for a lifting schedule of every other day with an upper and lower body swap. (i.e. upper, rest, lower, rest, upper, etc.) Now for those of you who aren?t familiar with ABBH some of the low rep heavy weight workout days end up only being about 20-25min. in length.

Having such a short workout and then taking a day off honestly; I sort of feel like I?m cheating myself. I am really getting into body building and want to approach this new lifestyle in the best and most effective way possible.

So basically my question is this: Do any of you who have been body building for a few years now have any suggestions as to what I could do on off days that wouldn?t hamper my growth, and even more so, help it? I understand the importance of the rest and recovery, but again, these 20 minute workouts followed by a day off, I just don?t feel like I am working hard enough!

Thanks in advance,
Hero

Just be active have fun play basketball go hike anything but eat for your goals.

as for the heavy days in ABBH taking 20 mins I dont see how short yes but not 20 mins if you are doing the rest right. just the rest periods for a 10x3 super set in that program say doing bench and BO rows the rest would be 19 minutes by it self.

then you have the time your working then any exercises you did after those. If your not feeling you had a good workout I would question the intensity of the w/o and the intensity you bring to it.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Just be active have fun play basketball go hike anything but eat for your goals.

as for the heavy days in ABBH taking 20 mins I dont see how short yes but not 20 mins if you are doing the rest right. just the rest periods for a 10x3 super set in that program say doing bench and BO rows the rest would be 19 minutes by it self.

then you have the time your working then any exercises you did after those. If your not feeling you had a good workout I would question the intensity of the w/o and the intensity you bring to it.

[/quote]

First off, thanks for the response.

Yea it usually comes to about 25minutes or 27 minutes, for my heavy upper body day it looks like this.

Bench Press 80% 1RMx4 (8 or so seconds)
: Rest 60 seconds :
Bent BB Row 80% 1RMx4 (8 or so seconds)
Repeat 9 more times.
End workout. =(

So yea it comes out to be a little over 25minutes but still it seems so short it makes me sad!

I have a quick question about what you said though, in the second half of your response you said “then you have the time your working then any exercises you did after those.
Does that mean that with ABBH we are suppose to be doing exercises after the 10x3 chest and 10x3 back exercises?

Thanks again.

[quote]HERO wrote:
First off, thanks for the response.

Yea it usually comes to about 25minutes or 27 minutes, for my heavy upper body day it looks like this.

Bench Press 80% 1RMx4 (8 or so seconds)
Bent BB Row 80% 1RMx4 (8 or so seconds)
Repeat 9 more times.
End workout. =(

So yea it comes out to be a little over 25minutes but still it seems so short it makes me sad!

I have a quick question about what you said though, in the second half of your response you said “then you have the time your working then any exercises you did after those.
Does that mean that with ABBH we are suppose to be doing exercises after the 10x3 chest and 10x3 back exercises?

Thanks again.[/quote]

Well if you look at the end of the program Chad added the arm option. I kind of found I take that a bit further and attack a weakness, use the same intensity of the day (load) but cut the sets (volume) in half for the assistance work like 10 x 3 would be 5 x 3. working say Bi’s, Tri’s, shoulders, etc for upper body pick a few (two) and do them.

Just my opinion but worked for me.