Question about PRs

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]tedsting wrote:
Pretty stupid question but…if you hit the same weight in another cycle and still hit the same reps you pretty much made zero progress at that point correct?[/quote]

2 things:

1- you aren’t going to break a PR every time you lift, some days you will, some days you wont. You don’t push the last set every time, pick your battles.

2-don’t get focused on weather you made progress in a month. Lifting is a lifetime pursut, not a monthly one. Over time, your lifts will go up, don’t put a lot of focus on week to week numbers.[/quote]

Also, the easy answer to your question is: yes, you make zero progress. The real answer is: not necessarily. You might have added reps at a different weight, or weight at a different rep range. I hope that makes sense. You also might have simply maintained strength throughout a period of shitty diet/sleep/whathaveyou. That is still progress, imo.

Thanks for the responses, its good to know. I was just under the impression that I should be breaking prs every time I encounter a weight that I have attempted in a previous cycle. I am trying to take a moderate approach to adding cals to my diet as well as on the scale. The scale is moving up but at a slow pace right now. Its just been confusing/frustrating that sometimes I break a pr and sometimes I dont.

[quote]tedsting wrote:
Thanks for the responses, its good to know. I was just under the impression that I should be breaking prs every time I encounter a weight that I have attempted in a previous cycle. I am trying to take a moderate approach to adding cals to my diet as well as on the scale. The scale is moving up but at a slow pace right now. Its just been confusing/frustrating that sometimes I break a pr and sometimes I dont.[/quote]

As long as you hit the prescribed reps, everything else is gravy.

Another thing I wanted to ask was about the assistance part of the program. He says that you can do pretty much little to no assistance work if you feel like just getting in the gym, hitting the main lift, and then leaving. Has anyone done the program this way with little to no assistance work? And if so, did you still see gains in size?

Talk about missing the point of a program.

To clarify, you get as much out of the program as you put in.

[quote]tedsting wrote:
Another thing I wanted to ask was about the assistance part of the program. He says that you can do pretty much little to no assistance work if you feel like just getting in the gym, hitting the main lift, and then leaving. Has anyone done the program this way with little to no assistance work? And if so, did you still see gains in size?[/quote]

this is only if you have time or energy for the main lift and nothing else. you can still make progress for that session, but this is no way to make reliable long-term progress. assistance work is supposed to prevent or improve on weaknesses. if you keep skipping assistance work, eventually your weaknesses will stall progress on the main lift.

I actually didnt miss that point of the program as I do assistance work each session as well. I was just simply raising a question.

[quote]tedsting wrote:
I actually didnt miss that point of the program as I do assistance work each session as well. I was just simply raising a question. [/quote]

perhaps if you’d given it a bit more thought, you would’ve answered your own question.

keep at it.