Question About Pre-Fatiguing

Because developing size and strength are two different things. If developing your chest is your priority, and your body naturally shifts the stress to tris and delts for whatever reason, you may never fully reach the point of fatigue with your pecs enough to cause optimal stimulus.

S

It seems that ā€œcompound movementsā€ have taken the term from ā€œbodybuildingā€ and switched it a little.

In bodybuilding, many people trained muscle groups. If I want a huge ass chest and my shoulders always fire first and keep that from happening, I PRE-FATIGUE my shoulders.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Because developing size and strength are two different things. If developing your chest is your priority, and your body naturally shifts the stress to tris and delts for whatever reason, you may never fully reach the point of fatigue with your pecs enough to cause optimal stimulus.

S[/quote]

Which is why in that case you would PRE-FATIGUE your tris and delts so you CAN get a huge chest.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S[/quote]

Which is why in that case you would PRE-FATIGUE your tris and delts so you CAN get a huge chest.[/quote]

Well then by your own logic, I must be doing it wrong -lol.

Iā€™m out.

S

I am laughing at how the definition got switched.

I PRE-FATIGUE my forearms before training biceps because my forearms fire first.

That has now led to more biceps growth.

The way you guy are doing it, I would train biceps firstā€¦which would suck because my forearms would still fire first.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

I guess that explains why mine keeps growing.

Iā€™m doing it wrong.[/quote]

I think that ā€œpre-fatiguingā€ wasnā€™t the word the OP was looking for.

What Stu and BlueCollar described is really more about establishing the MMC and ensuring that the pressing movement will focus on the contraction. For me, at least, if I start out with a pressing motion my shoulders and tris will tend to get more involved if I havenā€™t already warmed up with something thatā€™s a more ā€œstrictly chestā€ movement, like a fly.[/quote]

Maybe it was, maybe it wasnā€™t.

Iā€™m not sureā€¦but warming up is on a different planet than ā€œpre-fatigueā€. You usually only pre-fatigue a muscle if it is interfering or becoming the optimal mover in an exercise when the goal is another muscle group.

I donā€™t ā€œpre-fatigueā€ anything.

I warm up like crazy though now.[/quote]

I personally find the opposite. I find that if I pre exhaust my triceps before working my shoulders, my triceps end up failing before my shoulders and I get a less than stellar shoulder workout. [/quote]

Now mind you, your own personal experience shows this to be the caseā€¦but somehow I got it wrong.

I know this term may be used now in fitness sites, but in bodybuilding historically years ago, I think it meant getting a muscle that fires first when you donā€™t want it to to tire first.

HOLY CRAP!!! I just learnt something from T-Nation!!! gasp gasp faints, lol!

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

I guess that explains why mine keeps growing.

Iā€™m doing it wrong.[/quote]

I think that ā€œpre-fatiguingā€ wasnā€™t the word the OP was looking for.

What Stu and BlueCollar described is really more about establishing the MMC and ensuring that the pressing movement will focus on the contraction. For me, at least, if I start out with a pressing motion my shoulders and tris will tend to get more involved if I havenā€™t already warmed up with something thatā€™s a more ā€œstrictly chestā€ movement, like a fly.[/quote]

Maybe it was, maybe it wasnā€™t.

Iā€™m not sureā€¦but warming up is on a different planet than ā€œpre-fatigueā€. You usually only pre-fatigue a muscle if it is interfering or becoming the optimal mover in an exercise when the goal is another muscle group.

I donā€™t ā€œpre-fatigueā€ anything.

I warm up like crazy though now.[/quote]

I personally find the opposite. I find that if I pre exhaust my triceps before working my shoulders, my triceps end up failing before my shoulders and I get a less than stellar shoulder workout. [/quote]

Now mind you, your own personal experience shows this to be the caseā€¦but somehow I got it wrong.

I know this term may be used now in fitness sites, but in bodybuilding historically years ago, I think it meant getting a muscle that fires first when you donā€™t want it to to tire first.[/quote]

I donā€™t know what you would like to call in then X lolā€¦

I just want to be able to feel my chest doing more of the work than my shoulders or tris. So by your logic, I should be pre-fatiguing shoulders and tris to accomplish this?

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

I just want to be able to feel my chest doing more of the work than my shoulders or tris. So by your logic, I should be pre-fatiguing shoulders and tris to accomplish this?[/quote]

Thatā€™s what I would do and what every HUGE guy over 35 I have known didā€¦but I also know that the internet has made jargon king so what you call something is now very important.

In short, I am not arguing whether it should be called something.

I am saying your problem ainā€™t a new one and the way HUGE guys used to fix it was PRE-FATIGUING a muscle group so it didnā€™t fire first.

You can call it ā€œfarting to the westā€ for all I careā€¦I just know how to get you swole.

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

I just want to be able to feel my chest doing more of the work than my shoulders or tris. So by your logic, I should be pre-fatiguing shoulders and tris to accomplish this?[/quote]

Thatā€™s what I would do and what every HUGE guy over 35 I have known didā€¦but I also know that the internet has made jargon king so what you call something is now very important.

In short, I am not arguing whether it should be called something.

I am saying your problem ainā€™t a new one and the way HUGE guys used to fix it was PRE-FATIGUING a muscle group so it didnā€™t fire first.

You can call it ā€œfarting to the westā€ for all I careā€¦I just know how to get you swole.[/quote

Please sirā€¦by all meansā€¦get me swole. I will indeed fart to the west for you.

Ok so say Iā€™m doing chest. I could start by doing some high rep tricep push downs and laterals? I know itā€™s not an exact science, but would sayā€¦3 sets of each at around 15 reps do the trick? Would I have accomplished farting in the direction that the sun sets?

If I pre exhaust my triceps, it doesnā€™t cause my shoulders to fire first. My tris are already warmed up, theyā€™re firing first. And theyā€™re going to fail first. Which means I can no longer perform the movement and my shoulders barely got a workout.

You trollinā€™ bro?

If MY goal is chestā€¦and my triceps interfere and always take more of the load, I PRE-FATIGUE the triceps so they are more out of the picture when I train chestā€¦so my chest gets more of the load.

That means more chest growth.[/quote]

I have never met anyone who takes that approach. If I pre-fatigued my triceps before benching, it would turn it into a triceps movement for me, and seemingly everyone else in this thread (and in every gym Iā€™ve ever been to). My chest wouldnā€™t have the opportunity to be overloaded because it would be limited by my tricepsā€™ fatigue. Different strokes, I suppose.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
If I pre exhaust my triceps, it doesnā€™t cause my shoulders to fire first. My tris are already warmed up, theyā€™re firing first. And theyā€™re going to fail first. Which means I can no longer perform the movement and my shoulders barely got a workout.

You trollinā€™ bro?[/quote]

? Do you really think I am talking about using so much weight that you are going all out on triceps? We are talking about fatigue here. The goal is not all out failure of a muscle to fire at all.

WTf?

[quote]bcingu wrote:

I have never met anyone who takes that approach. If I pre-fatigued my triceps before benching, it would turn it into a triceps movement for me,[/quote]

? If you did some sets of triceps extensions first this means you canā€™t bench?

[quote]
and seemingly everyone else in this thread (and in every gym Iā€™ve ever been to). My chest wouldnā€™t have the opportunity to be overloaded because it would be limited by my tricepsā€™ fatigue. Different strokes, I suppose.[/quote]

If your chest canā€™t do a bench press because your triceps got tired, that is a sure fire sign that your triceps are involved too much and take too much of the stress during the movement.

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

Please sirā€¦by all meansā€¦get me swole. I will indeed fart to the west for you.

Ok so say Iā€™m doing chest. I could start by doing some high rep tricep push downs and laterals? I know itā€™s not an exact science, but would sayā€¦3 sets of each at around 15 reps do the trick? Would I have accomplished farting in the direction that the sun sets?[/quote]

Yes, that is what I would do. Do a few sets with the goal of FATIGUING the triceps, not all out failure so they donā€™t work anymore. The goal is not super heavy weight here.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

I do have to laugh at this tho.

Uh, yeahā€¦me writing how I got arms this big is ā€œtrollinā€™ā€.

Today, most people apparently think ā€œbulking upā€ means ā€œbecome obeseā€ā€¦so I already know I am iout of date with some of the terms.

But I also know if a bodybuilder has a problem where their shoulders always take most of the force and are growing like crazy before their chest, they either need to move to mostly decline and flat (with heavy emphasis on the decline) or they may want to try doing a few sets of shoulder work first in the workout to FATIGUE that muscle group.

OF COURSE it will make the bench press harder at firstā€¦,.BECAUSE YOUR SHOULDERS USED TO DO MOST OF THE WORK.

theres something not right here. I thought everyone knew that the way to pre-fatigue was the way Stu described it earlier in this thread.

disclaimer:-
no i am not huge
no i dont have big pecs
no i have never trained anyone
no i cannot back up my thoughts with scientific research

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:
theres something not right here. I thought everyone knew that the way to pre-fatigue was the way Stu described it earlier in this thread.

disclaimer:-
no i am not huge
no i dont have big pecs
no i have never trained anyone
no i cannot back up my thoughts with scientific research

[/quote]

That would be the correct definition. No one is arguing with him about the correct definition.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

? Do you really think I am talking about using so much weight that you are going all out on triceps? We are talking about fatigue here. The goal is not all out failure of a muscle to fire at all.

WTf?[/quote]

Iā€™m not either. Start typing slower and maybe weā€™ll understand each other a little better. Because right now the only person in this thread being misunderstood has a name that almost rhymes with molester sex.

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

Ok so say Iā€™m doing chest. I could start by doing some high rep tricep push downs and laterals? I know itā€™s not an exact science, but would sayā€¦3 sets of each at around 15 reps do the trick? Would I have accomplished farting in the direction that the sun sets?[/quote]

Yes, that is what I would do. Do a few sets with the goal of FATIGUING the triceps, not all out failure so they donā€™t work anymore. The goal is not super heavy weight here.[/quote]

Gotccha, I will give it a try next week. Worst case scenario, I get an additional tricep pump with my chest workout lol.

Thanks Professor.