Question About Pizza Nutritional Value

PIZZA PIZZA!

[quote]djbige05 wrote:
What causes the main problem with eating pizza is alot of times you have that adult beverage with it. So you will not process the hugh amount of food until the Alchohol is processed by your body. I like a large Chicken pizza after a killer session of DL’s.

DJ [/quote]

Ahh yes, the good ole hops and barley brew. You just can’t enjoy pizza without it. This is why pizza can be a dangerous thing.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
deanosumo wrote:
Are you fat? If you are, no pizza for you, lard-ass. If you’re not, why are you asking this question? People on this site can obsess about micro-managing their diets. Pro-bodybuilders don’t even do that, except in the run-up to a show. Gee a pizza once or twice a month isn’t going to hurt you, unless you’re dieting.

What I honestly don’t get…is the question. Are people, when GAINING, micromanaging their diets to such a degree that they are really worried if a pizza once a month will throw their progress off? When I played ball, we used to hit CiCi’s pizza up almost once a week or every other week and stay until they simply got pissed at us taking FULL advantage of the buffet. Unless you are truly overweight and/or inactive, the average active healthy guy who lifts weights consistently shouldn’t be this worried about calories. Calories are those things that help you grow.[/quote]

Agreed, we used to do the same thing with the Chinese buffet down the street, helped the linemen put on weight, and didn’t hurt us skinnier guys either.

deanosumo wrote:
Are you fat? If you are, no pizza for you, lard-ass. If you’re not, why are you asking this question? People on this site can obsess about micro-managing their diets. Pro-bodybuilders don’t even do that, except in the run-up to a show. Gee a pizza once or twice a month isn’t going to hurt you, unless you’re dieting.

What I honestly don’t get…is the question. Are people, when GAINING, micromanaging their diets to such a degree that they are really worried if a pizza once a month will throw their progress off? When I played ball, we used to hit CiCi’s pizza up almost once a week or every other week and stay until they simply got pissed at us taking FULL advantage of the buffet. Unless you are truly overweight and/or inactive, the average active healthy guy who lifts weights consistently shouldn’t be this worried about calories. Calories are those things that help you grow.[/quote]

Yup. Hit a few buffets myself over the years.

Sometimes the truth is too simple for people to understand.

They had something on TV the other day where they were operating on some guy that had a heart attack. Prior to his heart attack, he had eaten a whole pizza. In this show, if it was true, they were actually pulling out fat from his arteries from the pizza!

Ask Eric Creesey the last time he had pizza. He will tell you He hasn’t had it since his junior year of high school!

I, on the other hand, have not had pizza since the second grade when I found out I was lactose intolerant.

I suppose If your bulking it’s ok now and again; it’s just extra calories to your advantage.

[quote]Brendan B wrote:
They had something on TV the other day where they were operating on some guy that had a heart attack. Prior to his heart attack, he had eaten a whole pizza. In this show, if it was true, they were actually pulling out fat from his arteries from the pizza!

Ask Eric Creesey the last time he had pizza. He will tell you He hasn’t had it since his junior year of high school!

I, on the other hand, have not had pizza since the second grade when I found out I was lactose intolerant.

I suppose If your bulking it’s ok now and again; it’s just extra calories to your advantage.
[/quote]

Yeaaaaay for you!!! I on the other hand outweigh you by nearly 100lbs. Pizza helps when the goal is increased caloric intake and gaining size. If my goal was to weigh under 180lbs, then possibly I would avoid all pizza on the planet.

Also, fat from a pizza would not end up directly in your arteries as if all digestion was avoided. No one gets a pizza I.V… Obviously, if you are dieting down, eating a large hand tossed from Pizza Hut might set you back. Otherwise…

Did I ever say you shouldn’t eat pizza? I don’t believe I did. If I could eat pizza, I would, but, I also feel, you can supplement your calories in from a healthier source; still receiving the same benefit.

B

[quote]Brendan B wrote:
Did I ever say you shouldn’t eat pizza? I don?t believe I did. If I could eat pizza, I would, but, I also feel, you can supplement your calories in from a healthier source, and still receive the same benefit.[/quote]

Your post very much implied that you shouldn’t by both your crediting of Mr. Cressey for never eating a pizza since high school and yourself…as if this means much at all.

Again, all of the people who look anywhere close to my goal don’t avoid all pizza on the planet in the off season. They don’t make it a regular in their diet from day to day (no shit), but honestly, I tend to avoid extremely restrictive diet advice from people who have never been over 200lbs. It is simply a bias I have.

Again, if my goal was to weigh under 180lbs, then possibly I would avoid all high caloric foods on the planet. That isn’t my goal, however. The moment I run into someone with a 20" neck and a bench press over 400lbs who NEVER eats food high in calories like a pizza even in the off season, then I will be inclined to listen to what they have to say.

Your post very much implied that you shouldn’t by both your crediting of Mr. Cressey for never eating a pizza since high school and yourself…as if this means much at all.

Again, all of the people who look anywhere close to my goal don’t avoid all pizza on the planet in the off season. They don’t make it a regular in their diet from day to day (no shit), but honestly, I tend to avoid extremely restrictive diet advice from people who have never been over 200lbs. It is simply a bias I have.

Again, if my goal was to weigh under 180lbs, then possibly I would avoid all high caloric foods on the planet. That isn’t my goal, however. The moment I run into someone with a 20" neck and a bench press over 400lbs who NEVER eats food high in calories like a pizza even in the off season, then I will be inclined to listen to what they have to say.[/quote]

I never said I was right or wrong; I was just commenting what I had seen on TV (not to say it meant anything at all). Then, I went on to say I hadn’t had pizza since the second grade, not because I didn’t want to, but because I was lactose intolerant. I also, threw in that little thing about Eric because I found it interesting.

Relax,
B

Why not?

Again, all of the people who look anywhere close to my goal don’t avoid all pizza on the planet in the off season. They don’t make it a regular in their diet from day to day (no shit)[/quote]

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
Why not?

Professor X wrote:

Again, all of the people who look anywhere close to my goal don’t avoid all pizza on the planet in the off season. They don’t make it a regular in their diet from day to day (no shit)

[/quote]

What are you asking? Why bodybuilders don’t make pizza a daily food choice? That would depend on their goals and obviously whether they are dieting, slowly gaining or bulking. What did you expect to hear?

I have to laugh a little innocent laugh at the over thinking that goes into diet plans especially for guys trying to get bigger. I eat everything in sight when i am bulking. Pizza, yeah one large for me another for everyone else to split. And a whole lot more frequent than once a month. Of course i also eat bacon cheeseburgers, fried chicken, and sometimes combine carbs and fat (sorry JB). I am not saying its perfect or even right for everyone but I carry a relatively lean 275lbs year round so i must be doing something right. Don’t get me wrong i live on surge, grow and fish oil but my whole food meals are basically anything i want.

[quote]morepain wrote:
I have to laugh a little innocent laugh at the over thinking that goes into diet plans especially for guys trying to get bigger. I eat everything in sight when i am bulking. Pizza, yeah one large for me another for everyone else to split. And a whole lot more frequent than once a month. Of course i also eat bacon cheeseburgers, fried chicken, and sometimes combine carbs and fat (sorry JB). I am not saying its perfect or even right for everyone but I carry a relatively lean 275lbs year round so i must be doing something right. Don’t get me wrong i live on surge, grow and fish oil but my whole food meals are basically anything i want.[/quote]

The world is going to end…now.

Nutrition is overrated. This is Jim Wendler’s diet from elitefts.com:

As I stated in the article, I don’t follow the best diet but here’s what I ate yesterday.

Meal 1 - Frozen Pizza, Coke, Snickers Bar

Meal 2 - Bag of Trail Mix, 2 sodas

Meal 3 - Chicken and Pasta my girlfriend made me.

Meal 4 - Chicken Fingers, ice cream

Meal 5 - Some more pizza and soda

I think I also ate some more candy bars and some nachos and cheese. During the week, I eat quite a few meals, but generally on the weekends I eat less meals due to my sleeping in and hectic social schedule. I also take a Multi-Vitamin when I remember…which means when I open the cabinet that has salt in it.

[quote]americangirl wrote:
I just got a few PMs for this so here goes…

Whole Wheat Dough

1 PKG Dry Yeast
1 Cup Very Warm Water
1 TBSP Honey
2 1/2 - 3 Cup Whole Wheat Flour

Add yeast to the warm water, add honey, stir and let stand 10 minutes. Add the flour and work the dough into a ball. Cover and let rise 45 minutes. I usuallly turn my oven on 200, let it heat up and then turn it off. Rises pretty quickly covered…

Sauce…

Fresh, very ripe tomatos, minced garlic and chopped onions…Saute them all in olive oil…

Use whatever you want for toppings. I made the best combo. the other day. I added pesto to the tomato mixture. Then I slightly wilted baby spinach (In the same pan the tomatoes were cooked in) and layered it over thinly sliced chicken breast. Topped it with goat cheese. It was awesome![/quote]

That sounds good. Just want to note you can use other flours – I’ve bought quite a variety at Whole Foods, including some Garbanzo bean flour in addition to grains such as Kamut.

Also, if you’re not scared of scientifically engineered foods, Kraft’s shredded fat-free cheddar and mozzerella products aren’t bad.

[quote]fahd wrote:
Nutrition is overrated. This is Jim Wendler’s diet from elitefts.com:

As I stated in the article, I don’t follow the best diet but here’s what I ate yesterday.

Meal 1 - Frozen Pizza, Coke, Snickers Bar

Meal 2 - Bag of Trail Mix, 2 sodas

Meal 3 - Chicken and Pasta my girlfriend made me.

Meal 4 - Chicken Fingers, ice cream

Meal 5 - Some more pizza and soda

I think I also ate some more candy bars and some nachos and cheese. During the week, I eat quite a few meals, but generally on the weekends I eat less meals due to my sleeping in and hectic social schedule. I also take a Multi-Vitamin when I remember…which means when I open the cabinet that has salt in it.
[/quote]

It’s kind of fun to read what Tate, Wendler and the other guys over at EliteFTS have to say about nutrition.

I know some may think of this as blaspheming, but as much as I love beer and pizza, I’ve never liked the combination. Carbonation and spice simply don’t vibe with me. I’d rather have milk with my family size gourmet chicken garlic.

[quote]Brendan B wrote:

[/quote]

Eric Cressey, while strong and an excellent writer, who I respect, isn’t the biggest guy.

I like big muscles myself.

I think we all can reach the conclusion that it all depends on your goals. If your only focus is to get stronger, it really doesn’t matter what you eat, after all, I haven’t seen too many Westside Powerlifters with under 10% bf. If your goal is to gain size and get stronger while keeping somewhat lean, it’s fine to eat sometimes as long as you don’t over-abuse it.

If you’re an elite-level sprinter who is trying to drop .02 seconds off your 100m dash time, well then pizza is probably a bad idea.

It’s really the same for all of these “bad foods.” All they are is calories and nutrients and it depends on how much of each you need.

Ya know, maybe six months ago, I would have been picking an issue with the Prof on the pizza. But honestly - why go through life never eating pleasure? Even JB says, and I quote:

"My favorite 10% food is pizza. Once or twice a week I allow myself to have some.

This 10% wiggle room will allow you the freedom to eat a few extra things not on your menu without the guilt and subsequent psychological crash that usually accompanies such perceived transgressions. "

That means 10% of your meals can be whatever you want. This week, for me:

1. 3 slices of cheese pizza
  2. Chicken teriyaki and gyoza
  3. 1 slice pound cake

So long as I hit all my other meals, I’m golden.

I think some people think they deserve a medal for being so strict on their diets. I think this is ridiculous.

Coin toss between “of course it depends on your goals” and “pizza every day is probably pushing it no matter who you are”.

What did you expect to hear?[/quote]