T Nation

Question About New Frontier

I’m currently doing CW’s New Frontier plan, and have just started phase II. This phase calls for working up to a 5rm by adding 10% with each effort. How many sets am I to do once I have reached my 5rm? Thanks.

During this phase I found starting rather light and slowly working my way up- I kind of felt my way through time- some I did 4 sets, some 6 some 8…but take alot of rest and really make sure it is a 5rm. when I got to five I would some times add 5 more pounds and knock out 5 more…I really think by pushing the extra bit during this pahse helps out a ton! check out my before and after pics. I followed abbh1+2 ,next frontier and now TBT…Im still an newbie but that is my 2cents…

It should take 3 or 4 sets, depending on how much you want to warm up. I made a mistake that phase and tried to go to big, the program was stoking my ego.

When you get to phase 4 where you find your 3RM, you may want to go for 4-6 sets, again depending on how much you feel comfortable warm up wise.

I would stress that these 2 phases you should take it easy and enjoy the reload, so you aren’t fried for phase 3 or 5. Its a great program and stick with it, I was never stronger in my life than i was a week after this program.

good luck

Thanks for the replies. Today I was doing around 8 sets total which was very time consuming, but I was going up in weight very slightly, once I hit my 5rm I was doing 2 more sets. This seemed to work out pretty well. I’m loving this routine so far, having the time available to me to the two-a-days coming up, I’m excited. Thanks.

The two a days really busted me up… In the final phase I was getting tension headaches during some workouts that nearly floored me. Eat alot and rest even more! Good luck

[quote]montini1 wrote:
The two a days really busted me up… In the final phase I was getting tension headaches during some workouts that nearly floored me. Eat alot and rest even more! Good luck[/quote]

How were your results at the end of the program? I started at 183, 2 weeks in I’m up 2 pounds.

I gained a bunch during this program (probably 90% of my gains over the past year came from this program)
check out my story-further down in the thread is a sample of my diet during this program.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1137251

[quote]Chip Duglass wrote:
montini1 wrote:
The two a days really busted me up… In the final phase I was getting tension headaches during some workouts that nearly floored me. Eat alot and rest even more! Good luck

How were your results at the end of the program? I started at 183, 2 weeks in I’m up 2 pounds.[/quote]