T Nation

Question about my Workouts

I am doing MWF friday lift sessions in the AM, and it's usually like this:

Benchpress
Deadlift
Squat
Row, chin-ups, or dips depending on what i've worked out the day before.

It's not a lot, but i'm out within 35 minutes, and I feel like it's enough for me since the next day I don't feel like going out and lifting again. :stuck_out_tongue:

It feels weird because a lot of people have huge lists of exercises in their day, but I know some have just do their compounds and get out. Is my routine fine, or should I add to it to maximize the benefits i'm getting from my compound lifts with more isolation work?

Would you be able to squat more if you didn't DLifted earlier?
Would you be able to row more if you weren't tired from the previous compunds?

I think the answer is 'yes'. Even if youre a newbie. So why would you want to lose intensity?

35 minutes is a short time. I don't know, maybe some people are that fast... But when I had DL day, I would spend at least 30 minutes with that. Same with squats or any body part in fact... 35 minutes is fine only when you deal with ONE body part, not the WHOLE body. Just saying...

Any work for bis? IMO full body workouts are great for those just trying to maintain and doing fat loss. Yet for making optimal gains I'd rather see someone on a good upper/lower split or 3 way bodybuilder type split. Hitting muscles hard at least twice a week.

Would upper/lower include splitting up compound movements?

Monday: Upper

Benchpress, DL, Rows, Etc

Tuesday: Lower-body

Squats, lunges, calf-raise

yes instead of floor deadliftss you could do rack deadlifts or t-bar rows for more of an "upper" body movement.

checkout http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html for a program already worked out for you. If you're primary goal is size up the max effort rep range to say 6-10 reps.