T Nation

Question About Losing Fat

I've been using the Scrawny to Brawny program for about 3.5 months now and I'm really pleased. Gained about 25 pounds. The only problem is I've gained it alot on my belly too. I want to burn off this fat, but I'm afraid I'll lose my muscle gains too. Is this possible? Or will my muscle gains just stay the same as long as I still lift regularly?

Thanks

Its a balance of obtatining enough calories to add mass and at the same time try not to get too fat. On a decent bulking cycle, adding some extra podge is inevitable. Its not all bad though, extra dietary fat helps you anabolic hormones like testosterone and eating enough is essential for powering decent workouts and recovery.

It might be an idea to try and clean up your diet and see if you are eating a little too much. But...reducing your calories may reduce your muscular gains. Try and replace some of the saturated fats with healthier alternatives.

As you gain more muscle, you will lean out though, what happens is the metabolically active muscle tissue increases the rate you burn calories including fat. Don't be too concerned just make minor adjustments and train hard.

I've seen guys lose too much muscle when reducing calories which needs to be done scientifically. Do you keep a food log ?