Question About Hunger...

after a hard workout i find myself extremely hungry right away. a trainer at my gym told me it was because my body was burning sugar. she said if you workout very hard and your not hungry your burning stored fat. is this true and what does it mean? question from the wife and she has type 2 diabetes (non-medicated due to diet and excersize) if that makes a difference…

thanks for any and all help…

[quote]T_Driver wrote:
after a hard workout i find myself extremely hungry right away. a trainer at my gym told me it was because my body was burning sugar. she said if you workout very hard and your not hungry your burning stored fat. is this true and what does it mean? question from the wife and she has type 2 diabetes (non-medicated due to diet and excersize) if that makes a difference…

thanks for any and all help…[/quote]

what we feel as “hunger” has very little to do with whether or not you’re burning fat, as hunger is a mix of many psychological and physiological processes.

this is even more true in very over/underweight individuals as their hunger signaling mechanisms tend to be kinda screwy.

basically, your trainer is full of shit on this one.

also, whether you burn sugar or fat during a workout has to do with the intensity level (i.e. low intensity burns more fat, higher intensity burns more sugar)

of course, focusing on what you burn DURING a workout is pointless, as exercise is easily undone by a poor diet.

I’m not sure about the validity of her statement, but… I am on the anabolic diet (30g carbs/day) and I can tell you I am not hungry after my workout. Ever. Actually sometimes it takes force feeding. I do work out at night, so I have already eaten 3 meals. Then a whey only shake, and follow up with a 4th meal.

If you dont eat before hand and workout and feel hungry how can you be burning sugar? Seems like a bunch of BS. I dont think your body can pick out what it wants to burn. If you eat something and it is in your stomach when working out that will get used first then fat stores used, I would imagine this is how its goes, maybe some one could clarify this.