T Nation

Question about Getting Lean

I don’t like to be muscled. I like to be really lean.
I eat good nowadays, oat meal in the morning, some bread with peanutbutter in the afternoon, and at night i eat steak.
I try to eat less Carb, and more fat and protein. I never eat junkfood, and I never eat stuff like sweets. my favorite drink is water, always have been. And coffee

My sport is thaiboxing, I started a few weeks ago and truly love it. Because I have done fitness for such a long time i actually feel kinda slow, and I have to much bodyfat (unfortunately I never ate well until somebody was kind enough to help me eat like I should to hit my goals)

My question is: What can I do with weight lifting @ the gym to get to my lean look, not gain muscle mass and more look like a surfer/soccer player instead of a boxer/sprinter?

in thaiboxing I want to have an advantage in my speed rather then having mass to hit. For my body how it is now, it’s easier to work on the speed and get my bodyfat lower and lower, then aiming for a lot of mass

vs

To give you guys a more clear impression what i mean with soccer player vs boxer/sprinter

[quote]TonyBlue wrote:
I don’t like to be muscled…[/quote]

/thread

seriously? we all need to love being muscled?

I don’t really like it.

Ok, then I will give you serious advice. This website is T-Nation, and the subtitle is “the intelligent and relentless pursuit of muscle” .

I completely respect your choice, everyone is entitled to have their goals and good thing that you are pursuing them. Simply, this would not be the best place to ask the questions you did I guess, as everyone here is trying to build as much muscle as possible.
Anyway, check the magazine issues, there are a lot of articles on cutting and leaning out.

Good luck

If, from now on, you truly dedicate yourself to sport and stick to it for years, you will, someday, be very, very ashamed for posting this text-turd.

Since there is so much wrong with this post, on a multitude of levels, I won’t comment fully on it.

As you educate yourself and grow as an athlete, you will notice all this naturally and by yourself.

But for starters:

-basically nothing wrong with wanting to be lean. But it is a superficial and hollow wish, most likely something the media put in your head. Building muscle for purpose and performance (thai boxing in your case) on the other hand, is much, much harder and is more to the point of these forums.

-the info about yourself is piss poor. How many years have you been training now? Some numbers are also necessary here: height, weight, good lifts, athletic career and milestones etc

-what does that mean: “Because I have done fitness for such a long time i actually feel kinda slow, and I have to[o] much bodyfat” -Are you overweight? Do you think “fitness” (whatever that is) makes you automatically fatter and slower?

-who on earth shat the idea into your head, that “surfer/soccer players are” automatically “leaner” and bodywise different then “boxer/sprinter”? This particular pairing of yours is especially ridiculous.

-The photos you posted are basically useless. Both are lean, the sprinter probably even more then the model/actor(?), who’s just an ab-flexing pretty boy.

[quote]lcsilva wrote:
"…as everyone here is trying to build as much muscle OR strength as possible for their sport and/or goals.
[/quote]

Fixed.

skinny fat FTW

[quote]TonyBlue wrote:
I don’t like to be muscled. I like to be really lean.
I eat good nowadays, oat meal in the morning, some bread with peanutbutter in the afternoon, and at night i eat steak.
I try to eat less Carb, and more fat and protein. I never eat junkfood, and I never eat stuff like sweets. my favorite drink is water, always have been. And coffee

My sport is thaiboxing, I started a few weeks ago and truly love it. Because I have done fitness for such a long time i actually feel kinda slow, and I have to much bodyfat (unfortunately I never ate well until somebody was kind enough to help me eat like I should to hit my goals)

My question is: What can I do with weight lifting @ the gym to get to my lean look, not gain muscle mass and more look like a surfer/soccer player instead of a boxer/sprinter?

in thaiboxing I want to have an advantage in my speed rather then having mass to hit. For my body how it is now, it’s easier to work on the speed and get my bodyfat lower and lower, then aiming for a lot of mass

vs

To give you guys a more clear impression what i mean with soccer player vs boxer/sprinter[/quote]

So you want to look like this guy? He hits the weights. Hard. And so does every other successful fighter I know above 135 lbs.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
skinny fat FTW[/quote]

x2

Wait. Let me get this straight. Someone just asked how to train in order to look like a soccer player?

What. The fuck.

Dude, listen. I go to both a school and a community gym. At peak hours the place is packed with teenage pricks who do the following: Curl, Bench, Curl, Shoulders, Crunches. They tend to not have much structure to their training, or make significant progress beyond a 90kg half bench. 70% look like the NBD villain. Hell, I personally know 7 guys that have physiques approaching or surpassing that who barely hit the weights and do not watch what they eat at all.

I’m going to assume you are not trolling:
Go buy “Starting Strength”, teach yourself the basic lifts, or at least the Squat and Bench. Get on a simple beginners program like 5x5 or WS4SB and track your progress. Eat more food. If you are happy with your physique, maintain. This isn’t rocket science.

[quote]TonyBlue wrote:
seriously? we all need to love being muscled?

I don’t really like it. [/quote]

you’re on the wrong site bud

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Wait. Let me get this straight. Someone just asked how to train in order to look like a soccer player?

What. The fuck.[/quote]

lol, i suggest reading some articles on weight lfiting and nutrition…and getting a new handle so we dont ridicule you ruthlessly

Hey guys, i can’t believe how much I improved my thought process and my nutrition in only 10 days.

I agree with most of what you say and I found my own thread back by doing some more research on training methods. I was reading it, and then it striked me: This is me!

I am logged in, so I can respond haha

Lets look at your questions and answers:

-the info about yourself is piss poor. How many years have you been training now? Some numbers are also necessary here: height, weight, good lifts, athletic career and milestones etc

My height is: 6 feet, weight: Hm I don’t know. Never really cared about it, i read somewhere in the past that muscles ways more then bodyfat, so whats the use in telling my weight? I think its around 80, could be way less though

I have been training a couple of years now but never took my nutrition serious. Now I dived into the world of Fats, Carbs and don’t know the english word, I am seeing way more results then before

The best performece, athletic wise, i set was getting into the Navy seals of my own country, unfortunately i fucked up my arm really badly and I had to come back from that,
never really did

but since a year now I am really getting back in shape but I am still struggling a bit with what to do in the gym

What I understand now that ‘going for failure’ isn’t really the best thing for me to do? Since i do thai boxing the days between my gym sessions I don’t feel like recovering for days and not being able to go 100% at my thai box lessons

I also do mostly compound excersises, since my goal is to get back into a BF % around 8-12 and to get stronger, I also do a full body work out, so yeah, I am not really in a bodybuilding program (if i explain myself badly at times, its because of my english)

What I am not sure about is the reps and sets. I understand I will not get big any time soon if I don’t eat more (my diet is more towards are cut), so that’s the problem

The problem is now I know a bit more about working out and such, i would just hate to do the wrong things at the moment.

I want to get lean, not because of an Hollywood idea, but just because I like to fit in my jeans (my bodyfat now, by the way, is 15%), i also hate to drag the bodyfat around since I know how fast I was in the past

What I want to accomplish is: With my thai boxing and my work outs at the gym to get a faster and stronger body

At the moment I am trying to do sets and reps of 5x5 and I try to add 10/20 lbs every session i do

-what does that mean: “Because I have done fitness for such a long time i actually feel kinda slow, and I have to[o] much bodyfat” -Are you overweight? Do you think “fitness” (whatever that is) makes you automatically fatter and slower?

epic thread

Well, I have as you can see 8 posts, now 9, so maybe i don’t get everything.

I am doing my best reading all the articles, and i did my best to answer the questions correctly

‘epic thread’… Great, it start to show how helpfull some people are at the T-Nation forum

[quote]TonyBlue wrote:
I don’t like to be muscled.[/quote]

is that like when the mob moves in and tries to make you pay for protection against themselves?

now what you wanna do to gain that lean look is, now this is the important part so listen up, you need to stop eating solid food. You need to drink petrone for most of your calories. also, you need to take up smoking. A carton a day should suffice. IF you have a hard time living on petrone, its time to nut up and be a man and do what it takes to reach your goals. Smoke another pack, and down a 4-5 shots.

You can also drink coffee, but the only thing you can add to it is petrone. All the petrone and nicotine will help your fighting training immensly. The aztec’s jaguar warriors lived on the same diet and were by all accounts unstoppable. They smoked probably 2 cartons a day, but in this economy that may be rough. You can probably make that extra nicotine up with coffee instead, however, since coffee has caffiene instead of nicotine you probably need at least 3-4 pots a day and between that and the minimum 1 carton a day that should be close to 2 cartons a day. Ideally you would smoke 2-3 cartons a day, and drink 3-4 pots of coffee and enough petrone so you arent starving but it could be tough if you have a good job, because if you are smoking that much and drunk at work you will probably get fired. Dont let that deter you from your goals though, its crunch time now. GIT ER DONE!!!

muaahahahauaahahahauaahahahauaahahahauaahahahauaahahahauaahahahauaahahahauaahahahauaaha

Bump?

[quote]VibeAlive wrote:
Bump?[/quote]

If I had a ban stick, I’d beat you with it right now.