Question About Front Squats

Today was the first time I’ve used front squats as my ME exercise.
I was able to do more then I thought I could. 275lbs to be exact. Not bad, but nothing to brag about either. I was expecting around 225ish though.

At first I thought my max was around 250lbs because the first time I tried 275, I just lowered down, and couldn’t even push it up an inch. So I tried 250lbs and got it no problem. Then I did some singles at 225lbs and it felt lighter then a 90% single should feel, so I decided to try 275lbs and got it. It was a slow rep though.

My questions are, I know that it’s a good idea to rotate exercises. I usually do 2 weeks of a deadlift variation and 2 weeks of a squat variation. Since this is the first time I’ve done front squats though, I was thinking of just doing them for the whole month. Or if I needed to change it up, try box front squats. Could I get away with doing front squats for a month without it hurting me?

Also, what exercises can I do to build up my back for front squats? I felt like it was hard keeping my arch for the front squats and it was one of the limiting factors. I feel like I could probably hit 300lbs by the end of the month if I build up the back muscles used.

its possible to squat and deadlift in the same week.

front squats on leg day, deads on back day.

work up your back: deadlift.

keep up the good work!

Your strength in the FS will increase as you practice. Cleans can help strengthen your whole back, so do deadlifts and you already do them. You could also try more reps, say 5-10 with a lower weight, holding the bar for longer reveals any discomfort you have in a way that singles may not and, if things go well, will condition you to holding it.

I don’t think front squating for a month will hurt you though don’t forget to keep working your hamstrings

Deadlifts, Pull ups, Bent over rows, T bar rows and cable rows are all great for building up your back

I think most of you guys missed the fact that he is doing a variation of Westside so there is no back day and leg day.

You have your ME Lower Body day, DE lower body, ME Bench and DE Bench.

I would give the front squat a go for 3 weeks, and if you still made progress take it the extra week, i am sure it wont affect much going an extra week. The problem may be that your body does get used to the exercise in 1-2 weeks therefore you waste 2 extra weeks of training, if you feel you can hit a PR keep doing it, if not switch again.

Remember to keep working your glutes and hamstrings as you will not get significant use of them while front squatting. Make sure to keep doing your hypers, GHM, RDL and GM’s.

To the OP, A front squat cycle will strengthen your abdominals, obliques, quads and upper back, all of which will translate to the squat and deadlift when you return to your original two lifts that you cycle.

Are you guys saying that front squats work the posterior chain (specifically hamstrings) less than back squats, or that they just dont work them well in general.

I agree in saying the hams are less involved in FS as opposed to BS, but I think any squat taken below parallel will involve the hamstrings, and a lot of it depends on body structure,
-wouldnt you agree?

[quote]Millerizer130 wrote:
To the OP, A front squat cycle will strengthen your abdominals, obliques, quads and upper back, all of which will translate to the squat and deadlift when you return to your original two lifts that you cycle.

Are you guys saying that front squats work the posterior chain (specifically hamstrings) less than back squats, or that they just dont work them well in general.

I agree in saying the hams are less involved in FS as opposed to BS, but I think any squat taken below parallel will involve the hamstrings, and a lot of it depends on body structure,
-wouldnt you agree?
[/quote]

Personally when i do front squats i only feel it on my quads,abs, and upper back. Some people say they feel it on their hamstrings, but personally i don’t. I guess it depends, you should still do all your accessory Hamstring and glute work whether you do back squat or front squat so it doesn’t matter.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll keep you guys informed. Another question. What are the benefits on doing front squats with a clean grip style rather then the cross armed style?