T Nation

Question about Floor Presses

What is the benefit of doing floor presses vs dumbbell presses on a flat bench. How many of you incorporate them into your chest routines?

The benefits are stronger triceps and a stronger lockout on your benches and other presses. They work your triceps most probably with very little rewards to your chest. But they can help make your full range bench presses increase which in turn could add to chest development.

Also I doubt most or any one uses them as a chest exercise more of a bench assistance or triceps.

Thanks man, makes sence

[quote]im_the_truth_ wrote:
The benefits are stronger triceps and a stronger lockout on your benches and other presses. They work your triceps most probably with very little rewards to your chest. But they can help make your full range bench presses increase which in turn could add to chest development.

Also I doubt most or any one uses them as a chest exercise more of a bench assistance or triceps.[/quote]

+1

These are sort of like the box squat for your upper body. Really hammers the mid range of the bench and really hits the tris like truth said. We powerlifters are fond of these because they are usually harder than regular bench because we can’t arch or use leg drive. Depending on your chest size / arm length the range of motion is varied. For example for me a floor press equals doing about a 1 board press but my buddy is similar 2 - 2 1/2.

Doing these close grip (finger on smooth) at the end of your workout is a great way of burning out your tri’s. Give them a go and see what you think.

Another benefit that I think is quite obvious is that you don’t need a bench to do it.

They’re kind to your shoulders too.