T Nation

Question about Exercise Carryover

[quote]BCR wrote:
I think its fairly obvious. Don’t know why people are saying its bullshit

Exercise 1 uses muscles A-B, your weak point in that lift is B
Exercise 2 uses muscles B-C , increasing your strength in exercise 2 increases your strength in exercise 1, but your weak point is muscle C so you can’t effectively work muscle B with the exercise.
Exercise 3 uses muscle C. Increase your strength in muscle C means you can more effectively perform exercise 2 strengthening muscle B making exercise 1 stronger.

Ill give an example, I know it obviously doesn’t work this exactly in real life, but as I said its just an example.

Lets say the front squat is an upper back and quad strength exercise
You perform rows, chin ups or any other pulling exercise to build up your upper back strength, but your arm strength is lagging so you end up jerking your body to get the weight up and don’t get any back involvement at all so you perform bicep iso work to get increase arm strength so you can row better.

Probably not the best example for the powerlifting section since it involves curls and front squats. Personally my bench goes up when my squat goes up, don’t know why it just does, probably because it puts a bit of mass on my upper back. To get my squat up I perform lots of good mornings, RDLs and back hypers. I wouldn’t say performing back hypers directly increased my bench. [/quote]

Youre preaching to the choir at this point…anyone with one iota of intelligence that posted in this thread has already accepted the OP is correct

Using logic and intelligence to find effective ways to increase your lifts isn’t manly. Only effective way to get the big 3 up is BENCH, SQUATZ, DEADLIFTS MAX EFFORT EVERY SET, accessory lifts are for pussys and phaggots. You might as well be sucking dick instead of doing back hypers.

[quote]BCR wrote:
Using logic and intelligence to find effective ways to increase your lifts isn’t manly. Only effective way to get the big 3 up is BENCH, SQUATZ, DEADLIFTS MAX EFFORT EVERY SET, accessory lifts are for pussys and phaggots. You might as well be sucking dick instead of doing back hypers. [/quote]

x100… I couldn’t like this enough!

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Um , ya, what you’re saying doesn’t make any sense

This is what you just said -

A improves B
B improves C

But A does not improve C as much as B improves C, or as much as A improves B [/quote]

Does that make more sense? In other words, if you do not train B at all, any improvements in C that you receive from A will be negligible.

This is really a pretty simple concept, so I don’t see how it’s over-complicating anything.

Some of the folks in this thread need to read more and post less.

[quote]BCR wrote:
Using logic and intelligence to find effective ways to increase your lifts isn’t manly. Only effective way to get the big 3 up is BENCH, SQUATZ, DEADLIFTS MAX EFFORT EVERY SET, accessory lifts are for pussys and phaggots. You might as well be sucking dick instead of doing back hypers. [/quote]

Lol what? What the hell is this thread? Some need to do more reading and less typing. BCR, grab a copy of 5/3/1 and stop commenting on topics your are ignorant about.

Mate, its obviously sarcasm. I have a copy of 531 and ran it for a fairly long time and now do westside.

[quote]BCR wrote:
Mate, its obviously sarcasm. I have a copy of 531 and ran it for a fairly long time and now do westside. [/quote]
My bad. Its not unusual to see nonsense posted on here.

[quote]farmerson12 wrote:

[quote]BCR wrote:

Lol what? What the hell is this thread? Some need to do more reading and less typing. BCR, grab a copy of 5/3/1 and stop commenting on topics your are ignorant about.[/quote]

for fucks sake…lots of paint chips have been eaten in this thread

thread shouldn’t ended after CS’s post