T Nation

Question about DOMS

I havnt been able to find a concrete answer to this question.

Alot of people say that DOMS goes away after a while.

For me it hasnt. When I give my legs a really good workout… or any other bodypart for that matter, I always get DOMS. My biceps being the ONLY body part I dont get DOMS anymore.
I workout on average once every 2 days. With fair intensity.

Yes, DOMS should go away after a few days (or a week in some cases). But that is also dependent on your nutrition (are you eating enough to help the body recover?) and your training program (are you training legs every few days?

or are you constantly pounding them every time you’re in the gym? do you change set/reps/exercises each workout?). Your body may not be adapting to your workouts if there is too much change each week.

There were times when I first started training legs hard and heavy, and they seemed to be sore all the time! Part of it was due to the high volume and intensity of work I gave them, and part of it was that I wasn’t eating as well as I thought.

Give us more info!

Thanks for your reply

Ok on to about myself.

I am about 6 feet tall
around 190 to my best knowledge
electrical impedance test done at ymca say i am about 13- 14.5 bodyfat.
I personally don’t believe this measurement to be accurate. Still got some chub to get rid of around the mid section, and some more to go all around.

When I first started working out I was all about lifting and trying to restrict calories, I used to keep a log and I just looked at it, there was a day when I only ate 1600 kcals… that was a very odd day but still its pretty bad.

Ok, so recently I decided to actually start following the advice of the 4+ books I have read. Also all the other people (such as the people on T-Nation) that keep talking about eating lots of good food (and sometimes a little of the bad) to gain weight while lifting.

To do this I have upped my calories.

On a typical day I will now have this.

Breakfast 7 am

2 slices whole grain toast
2 - 3 tbsp real peanut butter
2 tbsp jam
Shake consisting of:
1 1/2 Cups of 1% Milk
1 Scoop ON Whey
1 Cup 6 Berries Mixture

During the day 8:45 am to 4:30pm when I get home from school

2 Cups Half Cooked Mixed Veggies
On Sandwich
2 Slices Whole Grain Bread
1 Processed Cheese Slice
3 slices lean turkey breast
1 Tbsp Mustard
1/2 pound of bodybuilders chili
1 Banana
1 Black Diamond Marble Cheesestring
Handful of almonds

When I get home is more vague because dinner is out of my control.
My dad’s girlfriend and her kids don’t like very much healthy food, ugg…

Over the coarse of last night I ate two plate fulls of ham, mashed potatoes, and 2 cups of mixed vegetables

I made the mashed potatoes this time so they were made with about 3 tbsp of unsalted butter, instead of 10 of this shitty toxic margarine that they buy. I also used 1% milk.

Unfortunately a lot of the meals are not this good. For instance we had baked french fries and chicken wings with skin on the other night.
My dads girlfriend cooks ground beef in vegetable oil at medium high. I am pretty paranoid about eating that shit after it has been cooked in vegetable oil. So on days like this I don’t eat this much through the night.

Had 1 Cup of milk with a scoop of whey before bed.

I usually drink once a week which I think may be impairing my abilities big time.
My last workout looked like this.
Legs which I did on Feb 15.

Full ROM Barbell Squat
Warmup Empty Olympic Bar 2x10
1x6, 1x4 1x3, 1x2

Lunges (with pretty good form thanks to Mike Robertson)

Warmup 1x10
Working Sets
2x10 1x6

Leg Curl
1x15, 1x12, 1x8, 1x4

Full Rom Calf Raise
Warmup 1x15
Working Sets
2x15, 1x10

2 days later I am still sore in the glutes, calfs, inner thighs,
My hamstrings and quads arn’t sore and were never sore in the first place now that I think of it.

The type of sore it is, is like it feels tender, it affects me the most when I sit down and get up.

I do static stretching after I work out, and on most days I do some light work with it mostly on my hamstrings, back, and now hips, as these are the area’s that are not flexible enough.

Hope that is enough info

Ok the beloqw is all nice and well but your asking when you wont get sore from a workout. Man really never you will still at times get sore but just much less often to to much less extent but that takes TIME!!! and when ppl talk time in training/training age they are not talking months or even a year there talking YEARS!!!

bro consistant training over the LONG hual coupled with good nutrition etc… will have the body adapt and recover better but if you pound a killer w/o I would still expect some amount of DOMS.

How long have you been training HARD and consistant. I think far to many ppl think they go from beginner to advance in a matter of months. There are Numerous post of ppl saying they have been, “lifting for quite a while im No newbie and have hit a platuea ive been consistant for 3 months” again thats a drop in the barrel in training age.

Keep workin hard, rest, eat, recover and adapt.

Phill

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Thanks for your reply

Ok on to about myself.

I am about 6 feet tall
around 190 to my best knowledge
electrical impedance test done at ymca say i am about 13- 14.5 bodyfat.
I personally don’t believe this measurement to be accurate. Still got some chub to get rid of around the mid section, and some more to go all around.

When I first started working out I was all about lifting and trying to restrict calories, I used to keep a log and I just looked at it, there was a day when I only ate 1600 kcals… that was a very odd day but still its pretty bad.

Ok, so recently I decided to actually start following the advice of the 4+ books I have read. Also all the other people (such as the people on T-Nation) that keep talking about eating lots of good food (and sometimes a little of the bad) to gain weight while lifting.

To do this I have upped my calories.

On a typical day I will now have this.

Breakfast 7 am

2 slices whole grain toast
2 - 3 tbsp real peanut butter
2 tbsp jam
Shake consisting of:
1 1/2 Cups of 1% Milk
1 Scoop ON Whey
1 Cup 6 Berries Mixture

During the day 8:45 am to 4:30pm when I get home from school

2 Cups Half Cooked Mixed Veggies
On Sandwich
2 Slices Whole Grain Bread
1 Processed Cheese Slice
3 slices lean turkey breast
1 Tbsp Mustard
1/2 pound of bodybuilders chili
1 Banana
1 Black Diamond Marble Cheesestring
Handful of almonds

When I get home is more vague because dinner is out of my control.
My dad’s girlfriend and her kids don’t like very much healthy food, ugg…

Over the coarse of last night I ate two plate fulls of ham, mashed potatoes, and 2 cups of mixed vegetables

I made the mashed potatoes this time so they were made with about 3 tbsp of unsalted butter, instead of 10 of this shitty toxic margarine that they buy. I also used 1% milk.

Unfortunately a lot of the meals are not this good. For instance we had baked french fries and chicken wings with skin on the other night.
My dads girlfriend cooks ground beef in vegetable oil at medium high. I am pretty paranoid about eating that shit after it has been cooked in vegetable oil. So on days like this I don’t eat this much through the night.

Had 1 Cup of milk with a scoop of whey before bed.

I usually drink once a week which I think may be impairing my abilities big time.
My last workout looked like this.
Legs which I did on Feb 15.

Full ROM Barbell Squat
Warmup Empty Olympic Bar 2x10
1x6, 1x4 1x3, 1x2

Lunges (with pretty good form thanks to Mike Robertson)

Warmup 1x10
Working Sets
2x10 1x6

Leg Curl
1x15, 1x12, 1x8, 1x4

Full Rom Calf Raise
Warmup 1x15
Working Sets
2x15, 1x10

2 days later I am still sore in the glutes, calfs, inner thighs,
My hamstrings and quads arn’t sore and were never sore in the first place now that I think of it.

The type of sore it is, is like it feels tender, it affects me the most when I sit down and get up.

I do static stretching after I work out, and on most days I do some light work with it mostly on my hamstrings, back, and now hips, as these are the area’s that are not flexible enough.

Hope that is enough info[/quote]

Thank you for your response Phil. It has definetly been helpful.
Cyah

No prob glad you could read past my usual typos LOL and get something out of it

Phill

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Thank you for your response Phil. It has definetly been helpful.
Cyah

[/quote]

Hehe
When I said I needed that stuff clarified, I meant, I REALLY REALLY need this stuff clarified. So many times I have heard that DOMS goes away after a while.

I was failing to understand how you can damage your muscles through lifting weights and not be sore. Also I am considering training age much more now. I have to figure I have only been training for 7 or 8 months. Only now am I really starting to get heavy with it. Like you said, “drop in the bucket”, I’m a newb, :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again for the re-assurance.