Question About Carb Powders

I’m currently trying out American EFX karbolyn. I have never used a Carb powder before but I want to use it mainly before hockey games since I rather not eat solid food 2-3 hours before I play. Anyone else use karbolyn?

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Got a question pertaining to this subject… is waxy maize all that better then dextrose or maltodextrin. Right now I just use gatorade powder, but I know the others are cheaper. I searched on here and other websites, and some say it’s all the same, others claim WM just shits on everything else… So Bonez, and anyone else, does it matter at all? I mean they all nearly cost the same, I’m just wondering more is one less heavy on the stomach or something? Why is WM seen as ‘superior’ to many??[/quote]

I’ve heard it may be worse. I’ve tried dextrose and waxy maize, and I like the former a little better. From what I’ve heard, waxy maize is recommended because it spends very little time in the stomach. However, one of my more biologically-inclined friends said he was doing some research recently and was seeing some things to suggest that waxy maize actually takes longer to digest in the intestines. If anyone has more information on that and can confirm/explain/call bullshit on that, please do lol.

I recommend going for the dextrose. Very comparably priced (I think it’s a little bit cheaper- few cents per pound or something like that if I recall), and the waxy maize definitely doesn’t deliver appreciably better results.

Those looking for a source- check out John Meadows’ website (yay google), he has a link to a pretty good bulk supplier that I’ve used with solid results.

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

[quote]strangemeadow wrote:
Although it’s expensive check out Vitargo
You can get it unflavored. I’ve used it in the past and think it’s excellent.[/quote]

Read literally 4 posts above your one.[/quote]
Whoops, my bad ;(

never “got” high gi carb powders and their purpose around workouts

why not just have a handful of sweets? much more tasty, swallowing carb drinks just seems like empty calories

[quote]jhw wrote:

why not just have a handful of sweets? much more tasty, swallowing carb drinks just seems like empty calories[/quote]

In my experience, good old honey mixed with real fruit juice before a workout gave me the same performance as when I was using those carb powders.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]jhw wrote:

why not just have a handful of sweets? much more tasty, swallowing carb drinks just seems like empty calories[/quote]

In my experience, good old honey mixed with real fruit juice before a workout gave me the same performance as when I was using those carb powders. [/quote]

Of course performance was the same, sure honey mixed with fruit juice was much nicer than a sickly tasting processed carb power also!

[quote]jhw wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]jhw wrote:

In my experience, good old honey mixed with real fruit juice before a workout gave me the same performance as when I was using those carb powders. [/quote]

Of course performance was the same, sure honey mixed with fruit juice was much nicer than a sickly tasting processed carb power also![/quote]

Oh yeah!

To be honest, I really only noticed substantial effects on my workout from carb powders when I was doing hypertrophy work at a very high volume. Great pumps and I feel like it gave me a bit of added endurance for that type of stuff.

Didn’t notice much of an effect at all on the strength/power side of things. Only nutrition strategy that has had a substantial effect on my strength is just going out and eating a ton of cheat food the night before so glycogen stores are good and I’m holding a ton of water. Don’t need supps for that though, just some Chinese food lol.

[quote]jhw wrote:

Cost and convenience Id guess.

50g worth of sugar from gummy bears will work fine in place of 50g of sugar from dextrose/maltodextrin.

Not everyone has a palate for sweet things like that though.

I, for one, find a sports drink more satisfying than candy. I also get my carbs during my workout as well as before. So that matters.

[quote]jhw wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]jhw wrote:

Of course performance was the same, sure honey mixed with fruit juice was much nicer than a sickly tasting processed carb power also![/quote]

Wait, why would the carb powder taste bad?

Who would anyone intentionally consume something that doesnt taste good? I buy stuff that tastes like X factor berry/fruit punch gatorade.

ahhh, good thread.

Been trying out the malt for a few weeks now, my friend seems to have had really good results from it, and it’s really cheap. I sometimes use it for a, sort of, breakfast replacement. Ideal? No. I realise that, but some days I’d just sleep right through breakfast and get nothing, so the extra 200cals are a nice boost, and I don’t wake up feeling starving. Does this sound ridiculously stupid, or better than nothing?

I also think that if you mix it with milk, it tastes like vanilla ice-cream.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]jhw wrote:

50g worth of sugar from gummy bears will work fine in place of 50g of sugar from dextrose/maltodextrin.

I, for one, find a sports drink more satisfying than candy. I also get my carbs during my workout as well as before. So that matters. [/quote]

BONEZ I don’t know if you’ve answered this question before but could you outline what you do (supplement wise) before/during your training? Or if you have answered this before in some depth then could you point me in the right direction?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]jhw wrote:

I, for one, find a sports drink more satisfying than candy. I also get my carbs during my workout as well as before. So that matters. [/quote]

BONEZ I don’t know if you’ve answered this question before but could you outline what you do (supplement wise) before/during your training? Or if you have answered this before in some depth then could you point me in the right direction?[/quote]

I drink about half of my shake 15 minutes before I go to the gym. And finish it befoer the end of my second exercise. Sometimes sooner, depending how empty my stomach is.

30 or so grams of protein (whey iso/whey hydro/gemma pea iso)
40 or so grams of 50/50 dextrose/maltodextrin
5-6g leucine
tsp of cocoa powder

Pre workout supp about 30 minutes before the gym.

In my training experience I’ve experimented with dextrose/maltodextrin, Palatinose, sports drinks, grapefruit juice (Poliquin), organic raisins (Waterbury). With the exception of sports drinks, all can be bought cheaply.

What I do believe now, for what it’s worth, is that the whole nutrient timing concept of PRO/CHO post-WO is greatly over-hyped. There are guys like Di Pasquale and Henselmans who state post-WO carbs are not really essential at all. Regardless of where you stand, I don’t believe downing 150g CHO is necessary or that productive. I’ve in fact stopped having CHO in a post-WO shake and, together with a well-structured nutrition plan, have seen advances in body comp as well as training performance. When my tubs of maltodextrin and Palatinose will next get opened is unknown but if things continue as they are then it won’t be for a while yet.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]jhw wrote:

BONEZ I don’t know if you’ve answered this question before but could you outline what you do (supplement wise) before/during your training? Or if you have answered this before in some depth then could you point me in the right direction?[/quote]

I drink about half of my shake 15 minutes before I go to the gym. And finish it befoer the end of my second exercise. Sometimes sooner, depending how empty my stomach is.

5-6g leucine
tsp of cocoa powder

Pre workout supp about 30 minutes before the gym. [/quote]

Thanks, I’m happy to know I do something similar. I’m seeing good recovery from doing this.

Two questions:

1. Does your dextrose/maltodextrin come like that or do you think there is a benefit of using both?
  2. Do you find you have better results using any of the different types of protein that you listed? I currently use casein hydro, maltodextrin and leucine in my shake.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]jhw wrote:

5-6g leucine
tsp of cocoa powder

Pre workout supp about 30 minutes before the gym. [/quote]

Thanks, I’m happy to know I do something similar. I’m seeing good recovery from doing this.

Two questions:

1. Does your dextrose/maltodextrin come like that or do you think there is a benefit of using both?
  2. Do you find you have better results using any of the different types of protein that you listed? I currently use casein hydro, maltodextrin and leucine in my shake.
    [/quote]

I buy that protein because it comes out to about $9 per pound in the percentages of each component I get. I dont care enough about all this shit to spend more than that.

I get 50/50 maltodextrin/dextrose for no real reason at all. Theyre both very similar in price, so I just get both.

casein hydro/pepto pro is nice because it dilutes completely into the solution while whey doesn’t.

Pepto pro is expensive by the pound~ $28 but a serving size is 2-3 tbsps/workout so it actually lasts a while.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
casein hydro/pepto pro is nice because it dilutes completely into the solution while whey doesn’t.

Pepto pro is expensive by the pound~ $28 but a serving size is 2-3 tbsps/workout so it actually lasts a while.

[/quote]

I pay £35 for 1kg of Peptopro which equates to ~$23 per pound so it is on the expensive side but I have seen good results recently from using it. However, I have tried Vitargo before as my carb source for before/during the gym and haven’t seen better results for spending the extra money.

Fancy carb powders are for people who use exogenous insulin…AKA nobody on this site.

[quote]Proud_Virgin wrote:
Fancy carb powders are for people who use exogenous insulin…AKA nobody on this site.[/quote]

Could you explain why? Also if I’m not mistaken BBB has experimented with exo insulin…