Question about calorie intake and exercise

Hello,

Its summer now and I’ve decided to give another shot at the whole diet/exercise thing. Couldn’t do too much when I hit college. Anyways, I have a question about calorie intake and exercise.

Most articles recommend 16-18 times bodyweight as the recommended daily calorie intake. Then subtract anywhere from 250 to 1000 for weight loss. My question is, say I normally exercise 4 days a week, weight lifting and moderate cardio. I take in 3000 calories a day at 220lb. Then one day, I play basketball for 2 hours, burn off about maybe 1000 or so calories, don’t worry about the exact number. Does that mean I should increase my calorie intake that day by 1000? Do I take in something less than 1000? Or does it count as energy burned off and my body doesn’t need anymore.

Thanks for the help and sorry if its been asked before, I just don’t recall anybody mentioning it.

For those who care, last year I dropped from 276 to 225. I’m still about 21% bodyfat, so I’m going to work at it in these four months. I’m 220 right now. Hopefully I can keep it up.

Pick one caloric intake that you think will get you losing 1-2 lbs a week and stick to that ED. Some day you will be over and some under on cals. It is the whole week that matters.

If you are losing too fast or not losing at all adjust by 250 and give it another two weeks

That is the very short version.

Phill