Question about Barbell Overhead Press

Hi Guys,

My Name is Werner i am from Austria.
I am 41 years old, i began with sport in April 2010 weighing 106kg (~233lbs), i am doing much jogging and a lot of cardio workouts, even hiit, kickboxing and so on, now i am weighing 81kg (~178lbs).

I found my love to lifting in beginning 2012, i am in the first week phase 1 of MGS2.0 from Jason Ferruggia.

My question: i am training in my basement and the ceiling is too low for standing military press, i know that standing is much better because it involves the core but it is impossible for me, so i have to do them seated, but what would you big guys say? Is it better to lean back on the bench (90 degree) or do it without leaning back?

thanks and big greetings from austria
werner

Is it not possible to do your standing press in another part of the house?
I also train in my cellar, hence the name Troglo, but I have to do all my standing presses outside.
Although looking up at the ceiling above my PC, I could also press in my lving room, and my kitchen too.

I use squat rack now with the standing weight I press but I used to pick up barbell and carefully get it in position so I could sit upright and press on bench.

Remember you can keep from locking out joints while pressing which keeps constant tension on the muscles and have good growing capacity. Muscle under tension is the key I’ve been told and you can grow with light weights.

Increase number of sets. With lighter weight you can also press behind the neck without rotator cuff problems arising.

try z presses

You could press on your knees.
If core stabilization is your bag, baby.

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:
You could press on your knees.
If core stabilization is your bag, baby.

[/quote]

Thats it!
I never thought about this, sounds really good for me, i will give this a try.

It is not an option to me, to pull the barbell upstairs everytime only to do standing presses, but kneeing should do the trick.

Thank you all for the comments and tips!
Werner

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
try z presses[/quote]

Thank you, i will try this too!
Never seen this before.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
try z presses[/quote]
This

X2 on what Derek and Matty said.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
try z presses[/quote]
This

I totally won guys, you don’t have to keep posting videos of awesome cool lifts that I never thought of before.
I mean, that’s probably not even a real lift…

You think that awesome people, with awesome names like Zydrunas(Sp?), and Savickas, just do awesome stuff like sit on the ground and press? something so simple and awesome, that someone real like me wouldn’t think of it?

Nah, nah, nah, something’s going on here.
Some sort of… plot… by… someone.

I mean what’s your angle trying to convince people they can do things this unrealistically awesome?

(Can you tell I tried these out today? :D)

I had this problem in one of gyms for cyring out loud.

The gym ceiling was just low enough that I couldn’t fully extend, but then I did a split style of standing, like in the photo. You could try that, depending on how low that ceiling of yours is.

dont know what ur pressing,if its say 60kg u could use 2x10s that would give you an extra 3/4 inches…if ur goin allot heavier might not work so well

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
try z presses[/quote]
This

I totally won guys, you don’t have to keep posting videos of awesome cool lifts that I never thought of before.
I mean, that’s probably not even a real lift…

You think that awesome people, with awesome names like Zydrunas(Sp?), and Savickas, just do awesome stuff like sit on the ground and press? something so simple and awesome, that someone real like me wouldn’t think of it?

Nah, nah, nah, something’s going on here.
Some sort of… plot… by… someone.

I mean what’s your angle trying to convince people they can do things this unrealistically awesome?

(Can you tell I tried these out today? :D)[/quote]
[/quote]
That is the hardest pressing style I’ve ever made myself do. You have no advantage, and no leverage - negative leverages actually. It’s a pure gut-lift. If you get to bodyweight on z-presses you’re on your way to being exceptional. I haven’t yet done so.

Hi, thanks again for your tips.

For me the best solution is to do them kneeling and it is quite harder than the seated ones.
I have no good feeling with z-presses …

bye
Werner