Question About Arm Size and Core

[quote]Bunny Bench wrote:

1. You work your triceps when you do any pushing movement for the upper body, i.e. Bench press, shoulders, and pushing movements…

2. You work your biceps every time you use a pulling exercise i.e., back and moving weights around the room…

3. If you are doing a work your whole body 2-3 times a week workout and you have 2-3 arm days per week you are actually working out your arms 4-6 times a week. 4-6 times a week is way too much!!!

4. The biceps and triceps are very small muscles and do not need much exercise to grow. In most cases the less the better. You have to remember that they are constantly being worked out from other exercises.

I said do compound lifts… and throw in some curls the throw in some curls comment was to emphasize how unimportant they actually are.[/quote]

must be why Chad Waterbury and TBT advocates have hyoooooge arms. way bigger than split guys for sure.

[quote]lewhitehurst wrote:

[quote]wannabebig25 wrote:
if your arms wont get bigger perhaps add more weight. ive found that every ~10lbs your weights changes correlates to about 0.5" on your arm size. add 20lbs and your arms should grow an inch. thats just personal opinion though.

edit: BODYWEIGHT…not weight of your barbell curl or w.e[/quote]

He is right there is no point in training your arms alone just try and get the big lifts up and throw in some curls here and there.
[/quote]

Wrong. If you want to concentrate on arms there is no problem doing them alone as long as you make sure you are still getting your compound lifts in.

What Modok said was right about pressing movements and frequency. Also, there is no problem with working your tris that much, IMO. Between pressing and direct arm work, I have always hit my tris at LEAST 3 times a week and as much as 5 or 6. As long as you recover from it, it isn’t an issue. Besides, your tris are 2/3 of your upper arm, so I feel you should hit those as much as possible to increase overall arm size, anyway.
[/quote]

the amount of time stood out at me, does this include chest work or just specific triceps workouts? I find my biceps recover very fast and I should be training them more often but my triceps always take a bit longer and they are usually sore for 2 days

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:

[quote]lewhitehurst wrote:

[quote]wannabebig25 wrote:
if your arms wont get bigger perhaps add more weight. ive found that every ~10lbs your weights changes correlates to about 0.5" on your arm size. add 20lbs and your arms should grow an inch. thats just personal opinion though.

edit: BODYWEIGHT…not weight of your barbell curl or w.e[/quote]

He is right there is no point in training your arms alone just try and get the big lifts up and throw in some curls here and there.
[/quote]

Wrong. If you want to concentrate on arms there is no problem doing them alone as long as you make sure you are still getting your compound lifts in.

What Modok said was right about pressing movements and frequency. Also, there is no problem with working your tris that much, IMO. Between pressing and direct arm work, I have always hit my tris at LEAST 3 times a week and as much as 5 or 6. As long as you recover from it, it isn’t an issue. Besides, your tris are 2/3 of your upper arm, so I feel you should hit those as much as possible to increase overall arm size, anyway.
[/quote]

the amount of time stood out at me, does this include chest work or just specific triceps workouts? I find my biceps recover very fast and I should be training them more often but my triceps always take a bit longer and they are usually sore for 2 days[/quote]

This is where your individual feedback comes in. If you are recovering, you are stronger…it has nothing to do with soreness. If you are lifting more weight, or doing more reps with the same weight as last session, you should train, sore or not. If you are not increasing in strength or size, you aren’t recovering, also independent of soreness.
[/quote]

Agreed unless we are talking about pain in tendons in which case backing off some would be recommended. That is what is referred to when people speak about listening to their own bodies. If you are getting stronger and making progress, that is what determines what you do next.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Agreed unless we are talking about pain in tendons in which case backing off some would be recommended. That is what is referred to when people speak about listening to their own bodies. If you are getting stronger and making progress, that is what determines what you do next.[/quote]

I dunno about this one (contentious issue). Unless there is a sharp pain near the bone on movement and/or radiating pain with movement, I would still encourage someone to train if their program is designed in a certain way and for whatever reason they still have residual DOMS.

DOMS is more often quite near the myotendinous insertion where the angle of the muscle fibers changes acutely to blend into the tendon (appears to be an area of localised mechanical weakness, more susceptible to disruption post exercise). Often confused for tendon pain (kindof is, but isn’t), this still involves alot of soft tissue which is why I tend to go with the above descriptor.

my stregth in my arms and all lifts have been going up and i always up the weight i dont believe in going light in lifts i just do as much as i can.my biceps peak is really nonexistent i believe and read the article and started doing that workout to increase that. i am sore the next day but by time i train my tris or bis i feel as if im recovered so i dont think it is much of a problem

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]the order 22 wrote:
my stregth in my arms and all lifts have been going up and i always up the weight i dont believe in going light in lifts i just do as much as i can.my biceps peak is really nonexistent i believe and read the article and started doing that workout to increase that. i am sore the next day but by time i train my tris or bis i feel as if im recovered so i dont think it is much of a problem[/quote]

If all thats true I don’t know that we can help you much. Just keep eating and training the way you are and your arms will grow.

For the peak, really push the hammer curls, pinwheels, etc.

Thats all I’ve got.
[/quote]
i stopped doing hammer curls but wat are pinwheels i never heard of them

I had a stall in my biceps recently…I changed my arm routine up a little bit, but I think the heavy Drag Curls with a straight BB really gave them new life.

Maybe I am too new to post, but it has worked for me. I was starting to hate arm days just because of bicep work, I am enjoying them again.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

my stregth in my arms and all lifts have been going up and i always up the weight i dont believe in going light in lifts i just do as much as i can.my biceps peak is really nonexistent i believe and read the article and started doing that workout to increase that. i am sore the next day but by time i train my tris or bis i feel as if im recovered so i dont think it is much of a problem[/quote]

If all thats true I don’t know that we can help you much. Just keep eating and training the way you are and your arms will grow.

For the peak, really push the hammer curls, pinwheels, etc.

Thats all I’ve got.
[/quote]
i stopped doing hammer curls but wat are pinwheels i never heard of them
[/quote]

cross body hammer curls

My arms grew more when I started to isolate them more. Some people get good triceps development from pressing or skull crushers, I’m not one of them. Close grip pressing and skull crushers just fatigued everything else more than optimal triceps training does for me. I found the stabilisation required took the attention away from the arms.

Same goes for biceps; if they just don’t seem to “pop”, you probably needs to isolate them more (i.e. keep elbows more stable). Preacher curls work well - you’ll not be able to lift as much, but at least you’ll hit the target better.

Another thing, if a muscle group has already been fatigued quit a bit because of indirect training in the same session, I find growth from that muscle group suffers slightly. For example, 2/3 pressing movements in workout, followed by triceps training, doesn’t work great for me - I find it better to train them more when they are “fresher”.

Agree with the frequency thing too - at least 3x week works well (indirect training + direct).

Still growing :slight_smile:

i was doing hammer curls for a long time and never saw any progress i feel as this workout has definitely given me more results then hammer curls