T Nation

Question about 5/3/1

The answer might be so obvious that it's messing with me, but before I begin working on this program I just want to be clear, so if any of could help me out that would be amazing.

Are the "waves" just the weeks? Wave 1 = Week 1, etc?

Wave 1: 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5 or more
Wave 2: 70%x3, 80%x3, 90%x3 or more
Wave 3: 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1 or more
Wave 4: 40%x5, 50%x5, 60%x5

Also, in this example above (lets just say wave 1 for now), the 3 sets of 5 I assume is just for one workout (like just bench, or squat, or deadlift)? So I repeat the same percentages 3-4 times for each wave for different exercises, correct?

Like Wave 1:

Monday: 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5 (bench press)
Wednesday: 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5 (squat)
Friday: 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5 (deadlift)

or am I interpreting this wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you have not read the book?

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Have not read the book and thanks for the linked (which I skimmed through right now).

I don't think it instructs you on how one should warm up for 5/3/1. Could anybody tell me?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2976

well, when I warm up for a squat day... I usually squat...

lol but I'll foam roll and yoga stretch first, do some light GM's then ramp up to my working weight.

x2

Its 20 bucks come on

Yeah I simply don't understand why people do this shit... Buying a book is an INVESTMENT, its knowledge you will have today, tomorrow, and down the road.

Plus, he comes here looking for free fuckin hand outs. I've bought the book, and never had to ask a question once, besides, if you don't have it-- how do you know you're doing it right at any point?

Last point. You aren't willing to pay the author for his shit? For helping you out? Sharing his knowledge with you? If someone came up to you and said, "hey man, I can put 50 lbs on your squat, but it will cost $20 dollars." Would you pay them?

What's it to you? You bought the book, that's cool. I didn't and you don't want to help out, that's fine too. What I don't understand is what exactly you're contributing to this thread at this point. Wendler says he doesn't care if people do 5/3/1 or not, he's not in it to make money off of it. And like you said, $20 is nothing, so whether I pay $20 or not, it matters very little. I thought it would be a good idea to ask experienced lifters and their experiences with it.

you wouldn't have to if you bought the book. You will get all the information you need straight from the man who made the program in the first place.

There are several articles and threads on this site who enables people to train 5,3,1 without the book and that probably answers all their questions, but They miss out on a good read if they dont buy the book.

B
U
Y

T
H
E

B
O
O
K
!

I wouldn't recommend 5 3 1 for a beginner- first off increases are only once a month and second it stresses rep maxes over regular weight increases.

So adding 120 pounds to squat and deadlift numbers, and 60 pounds to bench and press numbers a year is too slow?

Name a beginner program that doesn't focus on rep maxes, 5x5 focuses on 5 rep maxes, etc.

I'm not a beginner to lifting weights, I'm just a beginner doing the 5/3/1 program. Anyway, this program is extremely simplistic and I was overthinking my original question, which I already had answered for me. Thanks anyway guys.

You'll probably drop more tonight on some skank in a bad cop uniform than the book even cost...

Absolutely. Both my squat and deadlift went from 95 to 325 and 405 respectively for 2rm within my first 8 months of training. If I had chosen 5/3/1 at that particular time I would have just been repping both below 200.

I didn't really know any better so I just decided to throw 10, sometimes 20lbs extra on the bar most weeks.

Now, I'd be thrilled with 120/60lbs a year, but not as a rank beginner. That's just too slow.

I'm not a beginner to lifting weights. My numbers have stalled, so I am implementing 5/3/1 to break out of it and continue progressing.

That's all good, but you've made an assumption that your stall is due to your training. You are missing two other highly relevant variables: 1. diet 2. technique

Your best bet is to post what you're eating as well as a video of your big lifts.

well then you are the exception to the rule. Most do not have those gains in such a short period of time.