T Nation

Quest to 10%

I am starting this thread really late. I have been working with Shelby Starnes for about 10 weeks, i started at about 164 and am down to 150. There has been some hicups in the road but nothing major. The current plan is to diet for 1 more week and then start a lean gain diet. Wich i am very excited about. My reason for statring this thread is for you guys to keep me acountable and to share my journey with you. Also Shelby is an AMAZING coach. I am also working with another AMAZING COACH by the name of Clint Darden, if you huys havent heard of him check him out he offers great coaching deals and will get you crazy strong, he is also there 24/7 for anything you need! I just recently pulled 400# in a meet wich was 60lb PR! I broke the state and RPS federation world record for my weight class. Here are my stats, ask whatever you like

AGE: 15
WEIGHT:150
BENCH:225
SQUAT:300
BOX SQUAT:355
DEADLIFT:400
And here are my goals
bf: 10%
BENCH: 250
SQUAT:315
BOX SQUAT:375
DEADLIFT: 475

great job for your age

cut your hair

  1. shouldn’t your coach hold you accountable?
  2. interesting that at your age you see the value in a coach- kudos
  3. what was the reason for dieting down to 150?
  4. what are your goals with the gaining phase?
  5. good luck

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
great job for your age

cut your hair[/quote]

Let the kid alone.

Keep growing it as you gain size.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

  1. shouldn’t your coach hold you accountable?
  2. interesting that at your age you see the value in a coach- kudos
  3. what was the reason for dieting down to 150?
  4. what are your goals with the gaining phase?
  5. good luck[/quote]

My coach does hold me acountable its always good to make your goals public(at least i think so)

The resoning for getting down to 150 is to get to 10% BF as that has always been a goal, i used to be FAT

My goals in the gaining phase is to be 155 by the end of the year, a SOLID 10% BF 155 BUT THE OVERALL goal is to be 180 by the time im out of high school.

And thank you!

Here is my picture from 10 weeks ago

solid work man, you have fantastic quads for your age. 155 by the end of the year? With a solid nutritional plan, hard work and a good coach… don’t sell yourself short especially at your age hormones will be on your side, if not, they’ll kick in soon.

Thanks man! I hit a HUGE deadlift PR today 325x5

week 10 update

CURRENT WEIGHT 149

LAST WEEKS WEIGHT 151

Good progress this week

back shot

your back squat is to high if its 50lbs more than the free squat

[quote]bignate wrote:
your back squat is to high if its 50lbs more than the free squat[/quote]

You mean his box is too high?

[quote]bignate wrote:
your back squat is to high if its 50lbs more than the free squat[/quote]

When I box squat, I squat down to a adjustable bench that is about 16in tall, my reasonig is I box squat to develop power and explosivness, not to improve my normal squat. Were i need to be explosive isnt from a low position it is from a higher position because i play linebacker so my knees are only slightly bend when im in position and i need to have power from there. Hopefully this makes sense to you, Dave Tate talks about this type of thing in one of his videos

Here is what a typical day looks like for me,

5 AM: WAKE
5-5:45 FASTED CARDIO
6:30-12:00-WORK
12:00-1:45-TRAIN
2:OO-10:30 WHATEVER ELSE I HAVE FOR THAT DAY
11:00 BED

RINSE AND REPEAT

All my friends and their parents think im overally obsessed/anal with my food and training, but whenever they say soemthing i just say obsessed is what undedicated people use to describe dedicated people. They also comment about how all I read about is training and nutrition so I tell them that this is what i want to do with my life, matter a fact i just set up a diet for my friend today, i can show exactly how i set it up if you guys are wandering.

Nice work man. You should definitely be able to hit 180 by 18.

Thanks man! Thats the main goal, 180 @ 10% bf. If youd like to know anything about my training or nutritionask away i love to.talk about it!!

It’s good that you’ve found something positive to be passionate about at a young age. Is it obsessive? Maybe. I can think of alot of other things much worse to get involved in then training. Its also sad that in this day and age when someone dedicates themselves to clean and healthy living its viewed as obsessive but people don’t think twice about the millions of overweight people living off of medications and can barely move properly.

You are AWESOME!!!
I’m 20, been lifting for about 6 years (spun my wheels for at least 3 of them), and everything except your bench press FAR SURPASSES my strength. Kudos for your dedication. I’m similar in the sense that I keep to very anal and obsessive eating habits (which I totally love and enjoy but are not acceptable to society: ie. intermittent fasting or variants). Keep doing what you love. So nice to see a teenager dedicated to a life of health and personal betterment. I hope your work ethic in lifting/nutrition carries over to the rest of your life (school, work, etc.). It definitely has for me and I value that learned work ethic more than any other personal trait!

[quote]Rush88 wrote:
It’s good that you’ve found something positive to be passionate about at a young age. Is it obsessive? Maybe. I can think of alot of other things much worse to get involved in then training. Its also sad that in this day and age when someone dedicates themselves to clean and healthy living its viewed as obsessive but people don’t think twice about the millions of overweight people living off of medications and can barely move properly.[/quote]

Thank you man! And that exactly what.I say, would you rather me spend My time and money on weed? No didnt think so! Many of my family and friends have grown supportive of my padsion and now embrace it but im waiting for the others to come around haha.

[quote]mbv8 wrote:
You are AWESOME!!!
I’m 20, been lifting for about 6 years (spun my wheels for at least 3 of them), and everything except your bench press FAR SURPASSES my strength. Kudos for your dedication. I’m similar in the sense that I keep to very anal and obsessive eating habits (which I totally love and enjoy but are not acceptable to society: ie. intermittent fasting or variants). Keep doing what you love. So nice to see a teenager dedicated to a life of health and personal betterment. I hope your work ethic in lifting/nutrition carries over to the rest of your life (school, work, etc.). It definitely has for me and I value that learned work ethic more than any other personal trait![/quote]

Thank you, it means alot to me when people support me. My plan is to start helping people on linw with their diet and training as soon as possible! I would start out giving free help and diet/training plans tjen when i turn 18 charge people, if my name has a big enough base in the strength world!

Also i did carb nite/carb backloading for a while and when i would explain it to people theyd say its terribly unhearhy etc. etc. etc so i feel your pain h

My wprk ethic in the gym comes from my work ethic built as a young kid, instead of playing video games ive been waking up at 5am sinc,e 6th grade.to go.to work, but yes this work ethic follows me everywere i go in life. Thank ypu for the kind remarks best of wishes