Quest for the Big 440lb Dedlift

[quote]georgeh707 wrote:

[quote]xneverbackdown wrote:

430 @143lbs bodyweight. Shootin for 445 at 132 at my next meet on march 31st[/quote]
Nice pull man how long u been lifting?[/quote]

Thanks. I’ve been doing powerlifts for a long time as a part of my training for lax and rowing. I’ve been competing for just over a year now

Ill hop in, my max is 180, tried 190 today and wasn’t even close. Only deadlifted about 4 times since the new year and 10 times in the last 2 years but am going to try and start doing it at least twice a week. I am 6’5 240ish (110), what do you guys think about sumo vs regular for me? I hate deadlifts either way but am committed to getting at least 200.

I’m in

Attempting 200kg on Sunday, 73.5kg at 5,8.

Sure why not.

I’ve previously pulled a conventional 195kg / 430lb and sumo a bit heavier, but since then my form and confidence has slipped.

I’ve reset my max and I’m working my way back up from a 170kg / 375lb pull I did the other week.

Training 5/3/1 Full Body Template from 2nd Edition.

I’m in…I’m about 100 pounds away, lol But I’m still in.

Any tips out there from the 400+ crowd?

Pulled 185kg / 408lb on Friday, so edging back towards my target. Video in my log if anyone wants to see my shaky legs haha

Pulled 413 from a 3" deficit on an axle bar. In for 440.

I’ll jump in. Documented max w/ vid is 400. Hoping to hit 450 by end of summer.

Pull 190kg/418lbs today, missed 200kg/440lbs.
Will definitely hit it in a month after another Sheiko cycle.

I know I wasn’t “in” before this, but just hit 440 for the first time today, also my first 3x bodyweight pull.

[quote]Sokolowskierj wrote:
I know I wasn’t “in” before this, but just hit 440 for the first time today, also my first 3x bodyweight pull.[/quote]
You weigh 145lbs? How tall are you? Impressive.

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
I’m in…I’m about 100 pounds away, lol But I’m still in.

Any tips out there from the 400+ crowd?[/quote]

I will be glad to help.

#1. Reps and form. Treat all of your warmup weights like a contest single. Focus on the setup, keeping tight, and exploding through your pull. Greasing the groove is important regardless of lift.

#2 along with number one above, a consistent mistake I see, even among lifters with a decent pull is the following. They START with their knees bent, this prevents alot of initial pop off the floor with the hamstrings and glutes. I setup in an almost straight leg stance, when I am ready to pull I drop into position and pull IMMEDIATLEY. This is why good form is paramount from #1, so that you can drop into a perfect deadlift start position and pull right away.

#3 Learn to identify your weakness and use assistance to correct them. If you are weak off the floor, then snatch grip deads, deficit deads ( i have been doing these for 2 months, and wow). if you are weak at lockout, then thick bar rack pulls, extra upper back work (kroc rows), and banded deads work well.

Following these protocols has led to consistent gains in my pulls, roughly 600lbs at 175-180lbs bw.

Oh, to add to this. Work on hamstring and hip flexor mobility through dynamic and passive stretching. I see people with short hamstrings and tight hip flexors not being able to properly get their leg drive into deadlifts, and as a result, rely too much on lower back to complete a lift.

Got it tonight, was a true grinder and my form slipped but I don’t care. Used straps for the first time which helped, and makes it kinda BS too unfortunately but I am happy anyway. Held 140 kilos for like 20 seconds after I did 200 to try and help grip strength! On to the strapless 440 and strapped 500.