Quest for 500lb Deadlift!

About skipping the deload week. I do something like a bastardized 531 (I do a week of fives, a week of triples, and a week of singles, and then sometimes deload) and I have done a few different things with this. I agree that you can sometimes skip the deload altogether, other times I’ve used this “deload week” to try new exercises (band work, other accessories, partial ROM lifts…), and also to use it like a PR week.

The last example being come in do your deload, then hit some singles and find out what your max is (or close to it). These options for me seem to make “deload week” a bit more fun, but if you really need the deload, I’d do it.

Also, just thinking about the previous conversation we had… I think it’s detrimental to your progress to do front squat instead of back squat as your 531 main lift. I’d switch them. This is from experience and not just idle talk. I started with front squat as my main lower body lift (I had a better reason than you though I think, as I had recent shoulder dislocations and mobility issues) and I don’t think it helped my deadlift or transfered much to my back squat when I was able.

The reason being that your upperback while getting worked does not have to be tight and arched in the same way as the squat and deadlift (shoulders aren’t pulled back as much, not squeezed together as much, your torso is more upright…). Do what you want there, but I think the evidence in my training log and those of many others will attest to the things I’ve said to you.

Best of luck. Oh, and back squats are more like the bottom of a deadlift than front squats. In fact they are almost like the position of a deficit deadlift (which I mentioned to you before for building power off the floor). Two birds… one stone???

[quote]jakerz96 wrote:
About skipping the deload week. I do something like a bastardized 531 (I do a week of fives, a week of triples, and a week of singles, and then sometimes deload) and I have done a few different things with this. I agree that you can sometimes skip the deload altogether, other times I’ve used this “deload week” to try new exercises (band work, other accessories, partial ROM lifts…), and also to use it like a PR week.

The last example being come in do your deload, then hit some singles and find out what your max is (or close to it). These options for me seem to make “deload week” a bit more fun, but if you really need the deload, I’d do it.

Also, just thinking about the previous conversation we had… I think it’s detrimental to your progress to do front squat instead of back squat as your 531 main lift. I’d switch them. This is from experience and not just idle talk. I started with front squat as my main lower body lift (I had a better reason than you though I think, as I had recent shoulder dislocations and mobility issues) and I don’t think it helped my deadlift or transfered much to my back squat when I was able.

The reason being that your upperback while getting worked does not have to be tight and arched in the same way as the squat and deadlift (shoulders aren’t pulled back as much, not squeezed together as much, your torso is more upright…). Do what you want there, but I think the evidence in my training log and those of many others will attest to the things I’ve said to you.

Best of luck. Oh, and back squats are more like the bottom of a deadlift than front squats. In fact they are almost like the position of a deficit deadlift (which I mentioned to you before for building power off the floor). Two birds… one stone???[/quote]

I really appreciate you chiming in with this. I will take that into consideration as I go forward. Let me just throw something out there. My dead lift pull looks identical to this:

I tuck the head and everything. Now, with that knowledge, what do you feel would be better? I know with the Front Squat that the upper back has to try and stay straight much like my version of the conventional pull. I am, and always have been open for change, but intelligent, well thought out change. I would appreciate your feedback…anyone.

The above article outlines some form issues. Take special note of: head position, elbows straight, and pulling slack out of the bar first.

Post a video of yourself if you can.

[quote]jakerz96 wrote:

The above article outlines some form issues. Take special note of: head position, elbows straight, and pulling slack out of the bar first.

Post a video of yourself if you can.[/quote]

I know this is going to sound like I am taking back what I said, but I didn’t noticed that he left that slack there. That article you referenced (thanks, btw) is the article that allowed me to pull conventional (given the normal advice didn’t let me get down low enough). I believe I do take the slack out of the bar, and that would be the difference between me and the guy in the video. The head up part, though, seems to throw my form off. I will get a video as soon as I can, maybe next week…

I see you do deficit deadlifts to help with speed off the floor? Have you noticed an improvement?
Also, do you do any speed work? Speed deadlifts worked well for me when I did the Coan/Phillipi routine. So maybe they’d work for you.

Pull Down

5 x 70
5 x 90
5 x 110
5 x 135
3 x 155
11 x 170

Dips 5 x 10 x BW
A1 DB Incline bench 4 x 10 x 40’s; 1 x 10 x 45’s
A2 DB Rows 4 x 10 x 60’s; 1 x 10 x 65’s

B1 BB Arm Curls 3 x 12 x 70
B2 BB Skull Crushers 3 x 12 x 70

Notes:

This was the first time in a long time doing dips. Wow, those work the chest for me. HEAVILY! I am going to keep them in. Also, I was feeling sick at the gym and by the end I was just flat out of energy. I popped a lot of vitamin C that day and I feel great today, despite 5 hours of sleep.

Front Squat

10 x Bar
5 x 95
5 x 115
5 x 135
3 x 155
10 x 170

Assistance:

Back Squat 5 x 10 x 135
Ab Circuit (sidebends and cruches) 1 x 10 x 90, 120, 140, 140, 140

Notes:

I feel so much more powerful in the front squat than I do in the back squat. For example, those back squats were taxing me pretty good. Question though, I was wondering if the high bar squat would be a better compromise because right now I do low bar, but really close stance olympic style. Criticism is welcome!

Again, I will try to get videos…but here is one from a while ago:

edit: reviewing this form, I actually now put the bar lower on my traps…maybe time to go back?

Deload Week

A1 Hammer Strength High Row 12 x 10 x 130
A2 Dips 12 x 10 x BW

Notes:

For this workout I just chose to do high volume work during the deload week. I just picked the dips and rows and did sets back and forth until I didn’t have any quality energy left in me. Hoping doing these weeks every 4th week will increase my size to get me to 230.

Today is my protein pulsing day as well. Nothing else to report.

Deload Week (cont.)

Trap Bar Dead lift 10 x 10 x 315

~40 minutes of stretching and foam rolling

Notes: I just chose one exercise for the lower body and just repped it out for as many sets as I could get. My heart was pounding in my chest! I couldn’t believe how much of a cardio session this really was; it was hurting just to breathe!

Hey man just checking back in… Keep after it. A comment… You say you feel so much more powerful in the front squat… What is the quickest way to get better? Work on what you are worst at. BACK SQUAT!!! Do high bar if you want (or Safety Bar), whatever, but just do it and do it heavy. You’ll get better at it.

[quote]jakerz96 wrote:
Hey man just checking back in… Keep after it. A comment… You say you feel so much more powerful in the front squat… What is the quickest way to get better? Work on what you are worst at. BACK SQUAT!!! Do high bar if you want (or Safety Bar), whatever, but just do it and do it heavy. You’ll get better at it.[/quote]

You know what. You are right. I talk about working on my weaknesses in the gym, now I need to do it. I am switching to back squat next week, and making front squat accessory work. Thanks a lot for following along! We will see next week how the weight looks.

Deload Week (cont.)

Cardio

4 sets of the following:

25 yard sled drag
Kettle bell snatches (10/arm)
Get-ups 15 reps
Mountain climbers 20 reps
KB Front squat to push press 10 reps

These were the times:
1:48.1 (PR by 14 seconds!)
2:03
2:08
2:10

Notes:

My cardio conditioning was much better than it was previously. This time it was the muscles that couldn’t keep up with the conditioning. That is a good change. I am excited what will happen next week.

Overhead Press

5 x 60
5 x 70
3 x 85
5 x 95
5 x 110
10 x 120 (+11 lb)*

Assistance:

Hammer High Row 5 x 10 x 180
DB Overhead Press 5 x 10 x 40’s
Arm Curls 5 x 10 x 70
Skull Crushers 5 x 10 x 70

*The lb increase is based off the previous month, same week.

Notes:

This was a standard workout, nothing to report. It was nice to see some increase in the overhead press. This was the one exercise that I was getting worried about.

Dead Lift

5 x 140
5 x 175
3 x 210
5 x 230
5 x 265
7 x 300 (+6 lb)

Assistance:

Snatch Grip RDL 5 x 10 x 185

Notes:

I felt really week on this workout. I had just gotten over a cold and so I was eating a diet of raisins and tea, so needless to say, I didn’t bring everything to this workout.

Cardio

4 sets of the following:

25 yard sled drag
Kettle bell snatches (10/arm)
Get-ups 15 reps
Mountain climbers 20 reps
KB Front squat to push press 10 reps

Notes:

Didn’t keep track of the times, because both of my cardio partners were MIA. However, I focused on just keeping the recovery time between sets down. Still a great session.

Pull Down

5 x 80
5 x 100
3 x 115
5 x 125
5 x 145
10 x 165 (+13 lb)

Assistance:

DB Incline Bench 5 x 10 x 55’s
DB One-Arm Row 5 x 10 x 65’s
Dips 5 x 10 x BW
DB Curls 5 x 10 x 35’s
DB Skull Crushers 5 x 10 x 35’s

Notes:

I didn’t this a little later in the morning than I normally do it. I really have gotten used to the early morning for workouts, but this one was still good. My triceps were really fried from Overhead Press workout earlier this week. The DB Skull Crushers really helped loosen them up.

Back Squat

10 x Bar
5 x 95
3 x 115
5 x 135
5 x 155
12 x 170 (+ 50 lb)

Assistance:

Front Squat 10 x 6 x 135

Notes:

As promised I moved to back squats. Overall it felt really strong. I analyzed my old high bar style and duplicated it. Because my flexibility has significantly improved, I was able to get a very comfortable position. I also am starting each work out with Power Snatches, like CT wrote in his most recent article for activation. It seems to work well. The 10th set of the front squat was easier than the first; I really tried to focus on accelerating the weight and MAN did I have a burn in the quads after today’s workout. Thanks for the advice to go back to the back squat. I hope to get that to 315 by the time I get a 500 lb dead lift, which I think is very doable, given how easy these 12 reps went up. But only time will tell, I am going to give it my all, as usual.

Keep squatting! As a point of reference I squatted 315 when I pulled 475, but I don’t think my squat was really that far behind my deadlift, but rather that I hadn’t really pushed it that hard. The two lifts for me are now about 100 pounds apart. Keep pulling and squatting heavy and you’ll get there. Do you have access to a GHR for assistance work? If you do, I’d suggest doing those. Keep after it!

Overhead Press

5 x 65
5 x 85
3 x 100
3 x 115
7 x 130 ( 6 lb)

Assistance:

A1 DB Overhead Press 5 x 10 x 35’s
A2 Face Pulls 5 x 10 x 75
Hammer High Row 5 x 10 x 180
B1 Bar Curls 3 x (2,3,5,10) x 70
B2 Bar Skull Crushers 3 x (2,3,5,10) x 70

Notes:

I was fried from this workout. I think it was because today is my pulse day, and I had to do the workout after work because, stupid me, I set my alarm for 5:45a instead of 4:45a. 5:45a does me nothing except get me to work early. I spent the time wisely though and studied my Chinese Characters which went ?? :slight_smile:

[quote]jakerz96 wrote:
Keep squatting! As a point of reference I squatted 315 when I pulled 475, but I don’t think my squat was really that far behind my deadlift, but rather that I hadn’t really pushed it that hard. The two lifts for me are now about 100 pounds apart. Keep pulling and squatting heavy and you’ll get there. Do you have access to a GHR for assistance work? If you do, I’d suggest doing those. Keep after it![/quote]

That is awesome! Where you at now with your numbers? What kind of assistance work did you do? I had bought a GHR for my home gym, but I no longer have that and work out at a regular gym that doesn’t have one.