T Nation

Quarry About Deadlift


#1

Hi , I am currently doing The Indigo Project Strength training program phase 1 by Christian Thibaudeau. According to the program one has to do deadlift 4 days a week. I am currently in 3rd week. I do deadlift with the proper form. My question is, is it okay to do deadlift so many times a week for a whole month.

And what if i stop doing it after 4 weeks. Will there be some ill effects of it like back pain. Because one guy in my gym told me that he was also doing regular deadlift for few months and when he stopped doing it he had some back issues and it took him 2 months to recover. Any suggections.


#2

[quote]Anand Shekhawat wrote:
Hi , I am currently doing The Indigo Project Strength training program phase 1 by Christian Thibaudeau. According to the program one has to do deadlift 4 days a week. I am currently in 3rd week. I do deadlift with the proper form. My question is, is it okay to do deadlift so many times a week for a whole month.

And what if i stop doing it after 4 weeks. Will there be some ill effects of it like back pain. Because one guy in my gym told me that he was also doing regular deadlift for few months and when he stopped doing it he had some back issues and it took him 2 months to recover. Any suggections.[/quote]

If you use proper form and moderate weight it’s perfectly fine otherwise no Olympic lifter in the world (who clean, snatch, pull and squat almost every day) would be able to walk.

Those who have problem either use bad form or use too much weight.


#3

Thank you sir for your suggestion. I really appreciate it.


#4

@Anand: My best gains have came from deadlifting with moderate weight several times a week, plus you get to practice your form and technique more to master it.


#5

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@Anand: My best gains have came from deadlifting with moderate weight several times a week, plus you get to practice your form and technique more to master it. [/quote]

The deadlift, along with the snatch and clean & jerk is the movement where it is less important to go super heavy in training to progress. Frequency is more effective than load. Doing plenty of work in the 70-80% range, never going close to failure is the key.


#6

I couldn’t agree more coach.


#7

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@Anand: My best gains have came from deadlifting with moderate weight several times a week, plus you get to practice your form and technique more to master it. [/quote]

The deadlift, along with the snatch and clean & jerk is the movement where it is less important to go super heavy in training to progress. Frequency is more effective than load. Doing plenty of work in the 70-80% range, never going close to failure is the key.[/quote]

Hey Coach! Could you give examples of what “plenty of work in the 70-80%” means to you? What “amount of work” needed in that zone to improve?
Thanks in advance!


#8

[quote]ebalage wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@Anand: My best gains have came from deadlifting with moderate weight several times a week, plus you get to practice your form and technique more to master it. [/quote]

The deadlift, along with the snatch and clean & jerk is the movement where it is less important to go super heavy in training to progress. Frequency is more effective than load. Doing plenty of work in the 70-80% range, never going close to failure is the key.[/quote]

Hey Coach! Could you give examples of what “plenty of work in the 70-80%” means to you? What “amount of work” needed in that zone to improve?
Thanks in advance![/quote]

You can’t go wrong with the Prilepin chart… at 70-79% were are talking about 12 to 24 total reps in a workout (for the deadlift) with an optimal average number of 18. The reps per set should be between 3 and 6 (I personally stick to 3s for deadlifts).

This can be done 3x a week.


#9

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]ebalage wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@Anand: My best gains have came from deadlifting with moderate weight several times a week, plus you get to practice your form and technique more to master it. [/quote]

The deadlift, along with the snatch and clean & jerk is the movement where it is less important to go super heavy in training to progress. Frequency is more effective than load. Doing plenty of work in the 70-80% range, never going close to failure is the key.[/quote]

Hey Coach! Could you give examples of what “plenty of work in the 70-80%” means to you? What “amount of work” needed in that zone to improve?
Thanks in advance![/quote]

You can’t go wrong with the Prilepin chart… at 70-79% were are talking about 12 to 24 total reps in a workout (for the deadlift) with an optimal average number of 18. The reps per set should be between 3 and 6 (I personally stick to 3s for deadlifts).

This can be done 3x a week.[/quote]

Would you recommend deadlifting 3 times a week like that as part of a specialized effort to build your deads or more general training?

In general, I have definitely backed off super heavy deadlifts, which used to be my favorite, for a little bit more volume at more reasonable weights. My form has improved and my body feels a lot better.Thanks.


#10

[quote]lotsi81 wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]ebalage wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@Anand: My best gains have came from deadlifting with moderate weight several times a week, plus you get to practice your form and technique more to master it. [/quote]

The deadlift, along with the snatch and clean & jerk is the movement where it is less important to go super heavy in training to progress. Frequency is more effective than load. Doing plenty of work in the 70-80% range, never going close to failure is the key.[/quote]

Hey Coach! Could you give examples of what “plenty of work in the 70-80%” means to you? What “amount of work” needed in that zone to improve?
Thanks in advance![/quote]

You can’t go wrong with the Prilepin chart… at 70-79% were are talking about 12 to 24 total reps in a workout (for the deadlift) with an optimal average number of 18. The reps per set should be between 3 and 6 (I personally stick to 3s for deadlifts).

This can be done 3x a week.[/quote]

Would you recommend deadlifting 3 times a week like that as part of a specialized effort to build your deads or more general training?

In general, I have definitely backed off super heavy deadlifts, which used to be my favorite, for a little bit more volume at more reasonable weights. My form has improved and my body feels a lot better.Thanks.
[/quote]

Both can be done. I’m focusing on Olympic lifting right now so I either have a snatch or clean every day and always include a deadlift daily (snatch or clean deadlift from floor or podium) but the intensity/load isn’t very high (in the 75-85% range for sets of 3) and I change my deadlift type daily, even if it’s a small change like using a hook grip or a double-overhand non-hook grip.

If I were to specialize on the deadlift I’d probably do 3 weekly session two of which would be moderate (75-80% for sets of 3) and one would be harder/heavier.