Quality of Personal Trainers

[quote]Nards wrote:
I’m sorry about my low opinion of most PTS…but my gym {now a World Gym but used to be a 24 Hour affiliate) apparently only had a 2-day class for PTs.
I mean what kind of PT has their clients start a workout with horribly-preformed bicep curls? Or women that are about 200lbs doing wrist curls?
One of them wears a lifting belt the whole time he’s out on the floor. Even on a stationary bike.
Many many times I"ve seen then answer their cell phones while with a client.[/quote]

The example I see more often is a 300 pound individual having to spend ten minutes on tricep kickbacks… before moving on to horribly executed abdominal movements.

yep, in every single profession there are good people and bad people. there are horrible strippers, doctors, mechanics, dentists, teachers, coaches, animal trainers and there are amazing strippers, doctors, mechanics, dentists, teachers, coaches, animal trainers, its just how it works. Just because you are in a job or profession doesnt mean you are amazing, decent or even qualified for that profession. There are retards in everything, PT is no different.

Tiger time: This connor kid simply posted a short routine for someone who would be unable to make it to the gym. Not directing his routine to strength or mass building but just getting some movements done in a type of bootcamp fashion. Austin doesnt have an arguement and pulls a dick move, and decides to pubically post that the other kid has no idea what he is talking about. Neither does austin but he says “I know a ton of information about strength and condition.” and refers to personal training as “this game.” Really?!? come on broski, you are like 110lbs and thats when youre holding your cat. The other kid wasnt posting a hypertrophy routine, he posted a ‘get off your ass and move’ short “workout” you can do in your home, like if youre a soccer mom. This kid tries to internet slam the other guy but does so in a very silly, immature way.

ALso, austin, “most of muscle building and fat loss has to do with how you eat or the calories you burn throughout the day” isnt exactly spot on advice itself amigo. Keep reading.

All the personal trainer does at my gym is stare at herself in the mirrors when she is supposed to be watching form and repeatedly yell “STAY STRONG” and “ONE MORE REP”

Still, I would though.

If he’s a close friend (don’t get the feeling he is), then talk about it via message, in person, or between sets at the gym.

If he’s an acquaintance, don’t waste your time.

This guy is one of the reasons I am really proud for being a PT.

I generally associate quality PTs with client retention. Quite frankly if you can’t retain clients with any consistency, very likely you suck as a PT.

Sorry I don’t see anything in his post about gaining muscle.

It’s a workout lazy/demotivated people can do at home. If it gets them off their bums doing something that’s better than nothing no

You are the douche in this situation chum.

Oh cool, the new curl in the squat rack thread!

I’ve seen some pretty jacked trainers, just saying.

[quote]themacninja wrote:

[quote]hipsr4runnin wrote:
yep, in every single profession there are good people and bad people. there are horrible strippers, doctors, mechanics, dentists, teachers, coaches, animal trainers and there are amazing strippers, doctors, mechanics, dentists, teachers, coaches, animal trainers, its just how it works. Just because you are in a job or profession doesnt mean you are amazing, decent or even qualified for that profession. There are retards in everything, PT is no different.

Tiger time: This connor kid simply posted a short routine for someone who would be unable to make it to the gym. Not directing his routine to strength or mass building but just getting some movements done in a type of bootcamp fashion. Austin doesnt have an arguement and pulls a dick move, and decides to pubically post that the other kid has no idea what he is talking about. Neither does austin but he says “I know a ton of information about strength and condition.” and refers to personal training as “this game.” Really?!? come on broski, you are like 110lbs and thats when youre holding your cat. The other kid wasnt posting a hypertrophy routine, he posted a ‘get off your ass and move’ short “workout” you can do in your home, like if youre a soccer mom. This kid tries to internet slam the other guy but does so in a very silly, immature way.

ALso, austin, “most of muscle building and fat loss has to do with how you eat or the calories you burn throughout the day” isnt exactly spot on advice itself amigo. Keep reading.[/quote]

Haha, I work out with only bodyweight, so I wanted to share some bodyweight knowledge with the kid so that he could use it. That’s why I said what I did. It’s annoying to see bodyweight as only being used for some little circuits for lazy people or something. I weigh 155 actually I was fairly mature in my handling of this matter I feel compared to him. You can be doing whatever workout you want and you want gain muscle unless you are eating enough and the right things for it. You can be trying to lose weight and run all day but if you eat enough you won’t lose a pound. Get what i’m saying now. Diet is so ungodly important when it comes to fitness, any aspect of it.

Honestly though, my weight aside, or my knowledge aside. Even though the two have no correlation anyways. This thread was about the quality of personal trainers, and i’m not one. I think you’re missing it.
[/quote]

That post has me missing the fuck out of everything…Am I the only one that got dizzy reading that?

Haha, this thread.

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:
Haha, this thread.
[/quote]
Is a mess.
lol

[quote]themacninja wrote:
Haha, I work out with only bodyweight, so I wanted to share some bodyweight knowledge with the kid so that he could use it. That’s why I said what I did. It’s annoying to see bodyweight as only being used for some little circuits for lazy people or something. I weigh 155 actually I was fairly mature in my handling of this matter I feel compared to him. You can be doing whatever workout you want and you want gain muscle unless you are eating enough and the right things for it. You can be trying to lose weight and run all day but if you eat enough you won’t lose a pound. Get what i’m saying now. Diet is so ungodly important when it comes to fitness, any aspect of it.

Honestly though, my weight aside, or my knowledge aside. Even though the two have no correlation anyways. This thread was about the quality of personal trainers, and i’m not one. I think you’re missing it.
[/quote]

I think you should stop being a bitch and start lifting weights

I really doubt whatever pussy bodyweight only routine you do is that much better than the bullshit that guy posted

ok

Personal training is a business first. So you’re gonna see guys who post crazy stuff (not to say that the guy being talked about in this thread’s workout was crazy or anything) in order to get attention and find different ways to sign up clients. This includes posting BS results to make it appear that you’re seeing success. Potential clients may be swayed by stuff like this.

On top of that, if you approach him in a venue that allows others to be spectators, he’s gonna try his damndest to not let you make them look stupid. Again, for the reasons stated above. It’s all about making money and it seems like that’s what this guy is trying to do.

You can let it bother you, but I don’t think it’s smart to let things that you can do little to nothing about bother you. Just like someone else said, there’s good trainers and bad trainers. I’d be more focused about how much they care, too, cuz if they care, they’ll learn and adapt more and correct their mistakes and weaknesses. If you encounter him again, I’d take the angle of making sure he actually cares about his clients, if he does, then even if he’s a doosh now, he’ll fix it over time.

When I was a trainer, I would say that most if not all of my fellow trainers knew what they were doing. I didn’t do it for long, but I had a few clients who were all happy with the results they got and had re-upped with the training hours at my gym before I ended up being pushed out. (doosh gym ended up not honoring those hours they bought after I left).

As far as gaining 83 pounds in 8 months, given certain conditions be met, it’s not THAT unbelievable to me. If it’s true, I’d assume he pulled it off because 1. he spent a certain period of time BEFORE ever hitting a weight room or trying to gain weight putting effort into trying to lose weight.

After this period of time (assuming he was successful with the weight loss), if he 2. hit the weight room for the first time and did everything right from the beginning, putting in as much work as he can, doing the right lifts, eating the right foods at the right amounts, he could gain a shit-load of weight. (part of this would be because he started out under his normal weight).

This is assuming that the last 8 months are literally the first 8 months he’s ever spent lifting. Remember, you see your biggest gains when you first start out, so if he was already underweight from a diet or something and then turned around and changed his lifestyle to gain good weight and was hardcore about it (and had the right bodytype and metabolism), I wouldn’t say it would be impossible. Still very unlikely, though. Too many ifs for me to think it’s true.

If I had to choose, I’d say it’s a big fat lie, or his numbers are being skewed in some way and he’s too inexperienced to be aware of it. Most likely, he just wants to throw some impressive numbers out there to get more clients, which I think will end up backfiring if they’re not true (assuming he doesn’t end up just getting a bunch of bimbos only concerned with losing weight and flirting with their trainer, which is fairly common from my experiences).

TDub, you are equally retarded for saying that 83lbs of muscle in 8 months is not entirely unbelievable.

Do some math, that means that EVERY DAY, he has to convert 170g of protein to muscle…or synthesize it…How on gods green acre do you fathom this?

Please…just shut up guys…

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
TDub, you are equally retarded for saying that 83lbs of muscle in 8 months is not entirely unbelievable.

Do some math, that means that EVERY DAY, he has to convert 170g of protein to muscle…or synthesize it…How on gods green acre do you fathom this?

Please…just shut up guys…[/quote]

Ok, I’ll bite just for entertainment purposes.

Let’s say, for example, you have a 20 year-old kid who is about 5’9" or so. His regular, Average Joe, non-weightlifting or working out in any way weight is 150.

Ok, now let’s say that he diets for a few months (or longer, doesn’t matter), is successful, and drops down to 130. He’s a sickly looking little fucker, mind you, but not impossible, right?

Then let’s say he meets someone from T-Nation who sells him on the T-lifestyle and devotes all his free time and money to putting on muscle. The act of ending the diet and eating more than he used to alone, without lifting any weights, is going to put him at least back up to 150 if not higher. So to make my argument more sound, I’ll go with 160 (which is still being pretty conservative imo). Eating more and putting on an extra 10 pounds from his normal weight. This could happen relatively quickly. Again, without having to actually put in gym work. He could have his old weight back plus another 10 in a little over a month to 2 months. That’s 30 pounds right there. Is that retarded?

Now, let’s say he starts slamming a protein shake every morning, after every workout, and last thing before sleep every day. On top of getting at least 30 if not 50 grams of protein in 3 square meals. On top of that, he’s squatting, deadlifting, benching, doing pull-ups, etc. like a motherfucker.

Then, you can X-factor in the fact that you’re assuming he only put on muscle with all your talk about only converting protein. If the kid was dieting, he could pack on some fat very easily as well and still not look like a fat lard in comparison, especially with all the new muscle also being packed on.

The combination of muscle and fat packed on could be a good 40 or 50 pounds in 8 months. Let’s say he weighs himself at the end of the day instead of the beginning like he’s supposed to, that can account for up to a 6 pound difference (I know this through experience, so don’t tell me it’s retarded). He could also weigh himself with some jeans on and a sweat shirt or hoodie or something, which could easily add another 5 pounds or more. Still very unlikely, but not impossible in my opinion if you’re just starting out and the right conditions are met.

So what we have here, although it’s technically 83 pounds of weight gain, if we take away the weight lost from a diet prior to the weight gain, then it’s really more like 53 pounds of weight gain. Then, if we take away the weight from the last paragraph, that’s really more like 42 pounds of weight gain. Then if we take away the fat gain, it could be down to only 37 pounds or so of muscle weight gained in 6 months. There’s your math. Is it still retarded by your most all-knowing standards?

Keep in mind that I said it’s not entirely impossible but still highly unlikely and too many ifs for me to believe it anyway, but I can’t bring myself to say that his statement: “I gained 83 pounds in 8 months” is literally impossible. But for it to be possible, in my opinion, a lot of conditions would have to have been met.

By the way, work on your reading comprehension skills. I didn’t say 83 pounds of muscle. I said 83 pounds. Big difference. By now, if you’re still reading and not bored of my long posts, you should understand the difference.

By the way, did the Power Drive work for you at all? I gave it a try, even went to 2 scoops instead of just 1. Can’t say I saw any noticeable results myself.

Sorry for the hijack, just curious.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
What the god damn hell etc…
[/quote]

Anal sex with NFL cheerleaders… duh!

Ok, we get it you could put on 83lbs in 8 months…now why does this fucking matter if you’re looking at MAYBE 8lbs of muscle at the MOST…I can make you lose 83 lbs in less than an hour…but you’ll be missing some limbs? Why in the fuck would ANYONE want to put on 83lbs in 8 months… The ONLY scenario I see this being acceptable is post competition rebound on a pro level…and even then thats a lot. I personally know an ifbb pro. And he’ll change 60-70lbs in that process… This has gotten so ridiculous and pedantic…Why try and find a point to prove…Fitness doesn’t have hypotheticals mate.