T Nation

Quality Mechanic Tools?

Any mechanics with lots of tools here? I’m looking for a 7/8" hex socket. Craftsman doesn’t make anything that big. Snap On wants $92.25 for a 1" drive. Mac, Matco and Cornwell shouldn’t be too far behind on price. Any other GOOD companies out there? Preferably with a lifetime warranty. I need to remove something torqued down to about 600ft lbs so I don’t think China stuff will cut it.

[quote]Shadow Hunter36 wrote:
Any mechanics with lots of tools here? I’m looking for a 7/8" hex socket. Craftsman doesn’t make anything that big. Snap On wants $92.25 for a 1" drive. Mac, Matco and Cornwell shouldn’t be too far behind on price. Any other GOOD companies out there? Preferably with a lifetime warranty. I need to remove something torqued down to about 600ft lbs so I don’t think China stuff will cut it.[/quote]

what are you trying to break free?
I would go with snap on/bluepoint myself personally.

I remember seeing them in sears
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915961000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Tools&Equipment&sName=Impact%20Sockets&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

this what ya need?

Hole crap, I didn’t think they had one. It doesn’t seem listed in their printed catalog for some reason. Thanks for the link!

Yea, I would rather have a Snap On, but the price is high considering I’ll only use it maybe twice.

Hey, you think that thing’s gonna snap with constant tension on it? I heard somewhere that impacts don’t hold up too well that way.

Working on a front Dana 60 kingpin. Need the hex bit.

Hole crap, I didn’t think they had one. It doesn’t seem listed in their printed catalog for some reason. Thanks for the link!

Yea, I would rather have a Snap On, but the price is high considering I’ll only use it maybe twice.

Hey, you think that thing’s gonna snap with constant tension on it? I heard somewhere that impacts don’t hold up too well that way.

Working on a front Dana 60 kingpin. Need the hex bit.[/quote]

I have a set of impacts that go up to 1in.
but no you cant borrow it :wink:

ya I was pretty sure sears and k-mart had them in my area.
about the tension.
I really couldnt tell ya.
the impacts are hardened and ya they can break if used all the time but im pretty sure using it a few time to break a bolt is fine.

What the hell are you breaking that has that much torq on it?

Try looking for and impact socket set. They can be found everywhere, and I’m surprised you didn’t see any at Sears. For that much torque on it you may want to look for a 3/4" or 1" drive set and a matching breaker bar. A steel pipe, a.k.a the cheater bar, may be warranted as well.

A few places to look may beL
Harbor Freight - cheap but life time warranty
stanelytools.com
mactools.com
tylertool.com - indiustrial tools = $$$$$$

I’m trying to break a kingpin off a 1 ton front axle. The actual torque coming off is probably near 650ft pounds.

I’ll try the impact bit. I hope you’re right Nich. If that thing snaps I’m flying back about 25-30 feet. I’ll make a skinwalker look like Mother Teresa. :slight_smile:

oh also,I have used in the past to help remove the upper Acetylene king pin,if you are replacing it I have used a cold torch to heat it up a little bit.
gives it some give.not too much just a little bit like running a pickel jar under the tap.

for tools you can also go to a steel fabrication shop
ask then for a couple feet of 7/8s steel stock
have them bend it at the end
and make a giant alen key.

I stole this image off the internet but my dad used to have one of these monsters

Dude, that key’s bad ass! Taking it off I might actually make one of those. Would be safer. But I still need that damn hex bit to torque the new one back on. Jeez, imagine the size of the torque wrench I’ll need. LOL!

So if I use the torch, don’t get it hot like a pitman arm or anything?

keep forgetting to tell ya
the impacts are softer and less brittle than chrome plated sockets. they are made to split when putting alot of tourqe on them instead of shatter like the chrome ones thats why they are best used in air tools.

if you are using it by hand if your going to break an impact socket its gona break the chrome ones just the same.

but you should be able to find the chrome ones at sears but you should be fine with the other

and no dont get it hot just warm it up
you want the metal to expand and then shrink up and help you break it loose if you get it tioo hot you can strip it and then you gotta drill and thats no fun

think lug nuts on heavy equipment.

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for the help Nich. Hopefully this will kill my death wobble. You ever experience DW at 70MPH? LMAO!!!

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for the help Nich. Hopefully this will kill my death wobble. You ever experience DW at 70MPH? LMAO!!![/quote]

lol i have a 2003 Hyundai accent project ,dont laugh its actually kick ass its an off road rally project.
it wobbles like that at highway speeds.nothing in comparasion to a lifted truck
thats scary

my problems from bad axles which will be replaced with custom mitsu ones soon anyways

Hyundai Accent? Wouldn’t something with a solid rear be better than CV’s? Then again, if it works, run it :slight_smile:

Hyundai Accent? Wouldn’t something with a solid rear be better than CV’s? Then again, if it works, run it :)[/quote]

if this video works,can you picture a beat up white hyundai pulling next to your expensive sports car and running like this.
I have fabed up my mounts and stuff and I am working on the turbo right now
I am swaping a 4g63 turbo from a mitsu evo
the turbo needs to support 500hp so thats my task next week actually I need to take the engine in to the engine dyno and tune it

EDIT: sweet video works
this is the car I am borrowing the plans from.
its a 10 second car
difference is I am adding thw awd rally suspension from the evo also in my car.
it will be a dirt/road drag car
I am so exicited about it

same car different tune running 9s
its friggin insane
ive hijacked this thing long enough anyways

I don’t care what you do to my thread, bro.

That’s a Hyundai and it’s doing 9s? Man, I’m not into Jap cars let alone Korean ones, but what the hell can you squeeze under the hood? My Jeep’s got a 383 and will probably put out about 400HP. You’ll be pumping 500? That’s insane!!

I don’t care what you do to my thread, bro.

That’s a Hyundai and it’s doing 9s? Man, I’m not into Jap cars let alone Korean ones, but what the hell can you squeeze under the hood? My Jeep’s got a 383 and will probably put out about 400HP. You’ll be pumping 500? That’s insane!![/quote]

hyundai bought the castings for there blocks from mitusbishi, the 2.0 that is in the lancer evoloution is the same block that is in the hyundai sonoata.
different internals and heads same block.so the mounts are almost the same.and the sonota motor drops right into the accent hatch.
the difference and this is the thing with asian cars.its all in the electronics.
they use small displacment,really tight tolerances and use turbos to pump in as much air/fuel as possible.
the evos have a strong ass block they were built for racing.
so you take that,build it with forged internals
upgrade the turbo and reflash the ecu where it knows how to handle the boost.
and end result is you have a very small lightweight car that has up to 500 hpbut when your in town putting around and not spooling up the turbo you are running like a normal 4 cyl car and getting 25-30 mpg.
the car itself is a salvage and it was 1500 i am putting about 6 into it
so for well under 10 grand I have a 10 second sleeper.

I am a chevy guy
big block 502 is in my work truck
I love gm but when I started learning about the technology they have cramed into these japanese cars i couldnt help but to respect them.

Because it has an iron block you can seriously boost those 4g63’s. Here is a video of an AWD Eclipse GSX putting down 1016hp on a chasis dyno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0ksflubIoI

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Because it has an iron block you can seriously boost those 4g63’s. Here is a video of an AWD Eclipse GSX putting down 1016hp on a chasis dyno.

[/quote]

my god,and that knight rider remix just got my noodle wet :wink:
basicly my goal is to do this build this myself

And that Bud Light intake manifold cooler got mine wet. :slight_smile: Jeez, the video won’t play like normal for some reason.

I must be getting old. Back in my day it was all about cubes. Hell, I still remember when the rotary was hot stuff. lol

My hats off to them for making 500HP get 25-30mpg around town.

Interesting stuff to say the least. Make a thread when your car’s done. I’d like to see that one.

[quote]Nich wrote:
Sifu wrote:

my god,and that knight rider remix just got my noodle wet :wink:
basicly my goal is to do this build this myself

I am curious, which oreintation and rotation does the Hyundia motor use? Is it like the Eclipse or the Evo?