T Nation

Quality How-To Videos?

It's all in how you do it.

What are the best "How-To" videos you have seen. Dave Tate's 6-Week Bench Press Cure was really good for a quick video and also his "So you think you can bench" series was very good. Who has other good how-to videos? Specifically I'm looking for a Squat and Deadlift video. I tried to search for them, but YouTube is full people who act like they know, and maybe they do, but none of them look like they can do twice their body weight.

Check IM, I gather they are putting together a section for what you seek.

Not sure if it's done yet.

(noob question) What's IM? My generation sees that and we think "What instant message??" :slight_smile:

Lee Haney's instructional workout videos on youtube were great (for bodybuilding).

SquatRX was good for troubleshooting squat problems.

Other than that, like you said, browsing around for people who look like their own advice has WORKED for them is the best policy.

Search for doggcrapp forums, should be the first hit.

Scott Abel has some pretty good ones on YouTube.

ive never really watched any "how to" but watching any training video and paying specific attention to how people do stuff is really helpful.

i really liked the Animal series with frank mcgrath. watching how he sets up really helped, like how he sets up for smith high inclines on shoulder day. awesome.

recently, ive been digging wojo's DC training video.

Search Ripptoe on youtube, Lots of vids of him teaching people =)

this is just my opinion but watching ripptoe might teach you the "proper" way to do things but watching bodybuilders do it shows you the effective way to do things.

That actually brings to mind a video I saw that was just two guys talking. He was sayng that a bodybuilder squat and a powerlifter squat are two different things. Apparently, a powerlifting squat has very little quad, whereas a BB is trying to stimulate the quads so it's done a bit differently. I'm looking for the powerlifting version.

One thing I noticed in a few Strength Feat videos is that when they are doing squats, knees stay forward when going down and just after they start to go up, some lifters will actually start to bring their knees in, like they are trying to use a stronger set of muscles to perform the lift. Anyone care to shed some light on this?