Quads in the Deadlift

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i think as far as Sumo vs Conv DLing

its not that important its more about wahts more comfortable for you

ive done both and i currently pull sumo

if youre suing enough weight and enough reps (6-10) you will get hypertrophy irregardless of which style you use.

as long as your poundages are going up i think it boils down to which one you can lift more weight for more reps with because truth be told most of us who truly enjoy deadlifts enjoy it because we can move so much weight. so i say, move more weight.

for what its worth i think i got adjusted to sumo pulling from doing BB hack squats. i just wanted to change up my routine and tested them out, didnt do em long but after that when i went back to deadlifting i automatically put myself in a narrow grip, wide foot position (a la sumo) and it just felt natural.

and p.s. if you move more weight Sumo style then that IS your optimal positioning.[/quote]

ah damn you do wide stance BB hacks? Hows that feel? whats your setup like in terms of foot angles, possible weights on heels…etc. thats intriguiing(sp) beings as i do mine almost with my feet together touching but pointed out

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i think as far as Sumo vs Conv DLing

its not that important its more about wahts more comfortable for you

ive done both and i currently pull sumo

if youre suing enough weight and enough reps (6-10) you will get hypertrophy irregardless of which style you use.

as long as your poundages are going up i think it boils down to which one you can lift more weight for more reps with because truth be told most of us who truly enjoy deadlifts enjoy it because we can move so much weight. so i say, move more weight.

for what its worth i think i got adjusted to sumo pulling from doing BB hack squats. i just wanted to change up my routine and tested them out, didnt do em long but after that when i went back to deadlifting i automatically put myself in a narrow grip, wide foot position (a la sumo) and it just felt natural.

and p.s. if you move more weight Sumo style then that IS your optimal positioning.

ah damn you do wide stance BB hacks? Hows that feel? whats your setup like in terms of foot angles, possible weights on heels…etc. thats intriguiing(sp) beings as i do mine almost with my feet together touching but pointed out[/quote]

i cant even remember, maybe im wrong. i just know that i stopped doing deadlifts for a while and when i went back to them i naturally pulled sumo.

Please for the love of god dont pull sumo like that again. What you should be doing is locking everything out at once, legs, back…everything. Think of the bar moving in a straight line, hugging the body. As you go down, you’re sitting back speading your knees out, keeping your back upright. When you’re sitting back, you’re loading the bar (pulling the slack out of it), this will make sure your tight when you initiate the pull, and decrease range of motion on a good DL bar. Then pull, and we use queues like hips through and glutes.

Basically dont think about lifting the bar up, think about pushing your feet and knees out and thrusting into the bar. Hopefully at least some of that made sense, its kinda hard to explain something like sumo in writing.

What we do at our gym, is drop everyone down to 135-225 and have them work on form until its perfect then slowly start adding weight.

OK, UAphenix. I will try that: maybe my mistake was specifically trying to lift the bar up with my quads in regular stance, instead of doing what you just described. Makes sense.

Is there anything visibly wrong with my front squat, or are more videos necessary?

[quote]UAphenix wrote:
Please for the love of god dont pull sumo like that again. What you should be doing is locking everything out at once, legs, back…everything. Think of the bar moving in a straight line, hugging the body. As you go down, you’re sitting back speading your knees out, keeping your back upright. When you’re sitting back, you’re loading the bar (pulling the slack out of it), this will make sure your tight when you initiate the pull, and decrease range of motion on a good DL bar. Then pull, and we use queues like hips through and glutes.

Basically dont think about lifting the bar up, think about pushing your feet and knees out and thrusting into the bar. Hopefully at least some of that made sense, its kinda hard to explain something like sumo in writing.

What we do at our gym, is drop everyone down to 135-225 and have them work on form until its perfect then slowly start adding weight. [/quote]

x2

when it comes to deadlift I would say the form is more important than the weight. Done correctly = great benefits, done poorly = great injuries. It has the most variant risk:reward ratio. once you have the technical aspect of either pull down the weight will come up much easier. Also, you wont have to break a bad habit later on.

As far as your head goes look forward at all times. maybe even up a little. It’s hard for your upper back to round when you’re looking up, as a reference.

To kind of make a cue for you to follow for all DL’s think about this: On each lift your shoulders should go up and not “back” per se. Bring your hips and knees to meet your shoulder line.

Do the shoes get stinky fast? do they wash easy?

-chris

Run a search on youtube for Rippetoe on the deadlift. Nevermind here it is:- YouTube
Might try some grip work also to get rid of the straps.

Sorry for the absence, everyone. I have adjusted my DL’ing technique slightly, and still got to 160 kg, though it was slightly harder.

Avocado - the shoes don’t stink up, and there should be no problem washing them, though I haven’t done so yet, personally. I have two models - the sprints and the regulars (not sure of model name). In my personal experience, the sprints - which are supposed to run small - do NOT run small. I wish I’d gotten my true size, now :(. Still, there is hardly any difference.

Edit: by slightly harder, I don’t mean I wasn’t already trying hard last time. I just mean, last time it was hard on a muscular level but my body overall did not feel stressed. This time, maybe because I was using more muscles, I felt more beat up after the set.

[quote]G87 wrote:
Hai gaise :).

I have started sumo deadlifting in the past week, and, to my surprise, found that my DL is a lot higher this way. The highest I hit for one rep on Saturday was 350 lbs, which for me is pretty strong - and I think I could’ve got 10-20 lbs more if I hadn’t been pretty tired by then.

Thinking about it later, I realised that my deadlift technique minimises quad involvement, i.e. I seem to DL more if I drive with my glutes and hams while keeping my knees relatively straight. “Squatting” the weight upward in the beginning of the movement doesn’t allow me to DL as much. So effectively, my own strongest stance so far is a sort of sumo-stance (plate width) romanian DL.

This is a bad thing, right? Because most PLifters seem to bend at the knees and use their quads more. So, I guess the question is, how can I increase my numbers while going to a more optimal stance in the future?

G[/quote]

Powerlifters usually bend their knees in about a quarter squat position when deadlifting conventional style. I don’t know about sumo…

If you lift better a certain way, and as long as your lower back is arched, you should keep doing what you’re doing.