Quads for my Quads

Hello! My fitness background is pretty scattered, but a year ago I went through “Insanity” 1 and a half times. More recently, I’ve been lifting weights for about 6 months now in preparation of joining a roller derby league. I recently joined a league and will be drafted onto a team in 3 months. A friend of mine told me that this website was very helpful to beginners and had a great community.

I am 19 years old, 5’6", and 135 lbs

My workout for Tuesday 10/23
Dumbbell Lunges:
20 lb x 10 reps
20 lb x 10 reps
20 lb x 10 reps
20 lb x 10 reps
10 reps per leg

Wide-Grip Pull-Up:
8 reps
7 reps
8 reps
weight assisted at 70lbs

Barbell Bench Press:
50 lb x 12 reps
55 lb x 8 reps
50 lb x 12 reps
weight includes the bar

Barbell Curl:
30 lb x 12 reps
30 lb x 12 reps
30 lb x 12 reps

Dips - Triceps Version:
12 reps
12 reps
12 reps

Dip Station Straight Leg Raise:
12 reps
12 reps
12 reps

IN. Keep this UPDATED!

Today was my second day of derby practice and it kicked my ass. It made me very thankful that I had a background in weight lifting beforehand. If not stated otherwise, everything is done in derby stance which is straight back, bent knees, pretty much proper squat form.
We started with 10 minutes of skating at a leisurely pace and posture and then stretched.
After that we did basic things like practicing stops and falls.
We did knee drop drills which is essentially falling on our knee pads and getting back up.
After that we did sticky skating which is where all 8 wheels stay in contact with the floor. We formed pace lines which is 5 people arms length apart. We practiced weaving between other skaters in pace line formation and keeping proper pace without passing any member of our own pace lines.
We did intervals of 2 minutes of sticky skating as fast as we could and 1 minute of normal skating at our own pace.

That took up the first 2 and a half hours.

For the last half hours we did body weight exercises
In skates:
Push ups x10
Push ups x10

Laying down toe touches x20

Side leg raise x20
Side leg raise x20
(20 reps per leg per set, this applies to all leg raises)

Half side leg raise x15
Half side leg raise x15
(hold for 15 seconds on the last rep)

Back leg raise x20
Back leg raise x20

Plank on elbows and toe stops x30 seconds

Squat position x1 minute
Squat position x1 minute

This next exercise is a little interesting, they’re called “Rock Climbers”. We get down on our hands and toe stops and bear walk like that from one side of the rink to the other. They’re a lot harder than they sound, some of the girls weren’t making it to the other side and it got to the point where the coaches were getting on the ground with then and encouraging them on to the finish line.

These next exercises were done out of skates

Running x1 minute

Backwards running x1 minute

Side to side running x1 minute

walking lunges x1 minute

Side to side line hopping x1 minute

Body weight calf raises x1 minute

Then we did our ending stretch

All in all practice kicked my ass tonight and I can’t imagine how bad it would be if I had no fitness background.

[quote]DerbyGirlSkava wrote:
Today was my second day of derby practice and it kicked my ass. It made me very thankful that I had a background in weight lifting beforehand. If not stated otherwise, everything is done in derby stance which is straight back, bent knees, pretty much proper squat form.
We started with 10 minutes of skating at a leisurely pace and posture and then stretched.
After that we did basic things like practicing stops and falls.
We did knee drop drills which is essentially falling on our knee pads and getting back up.
After that we did sticky skating which is where all 8 wheels stay in contact with the floor. We formed pace lines which is 5 people arms length apart. We practiced weaving between other skaters in pace line formation and keeping proper pace without passing any member of our own pace lines.
We did intervals of 2 minutes of sticky skating as fast as we could and 1 minute of normal skating at our own pace.

That took up the first 2 and a half hours.

For the last half hours we did body weight exercises
In skates:
Push ups x10
Push ups x10

Side leg raise x20
Side leg raise x20
(20 reps per leg per set, this applies to all leg raises)

Half side leg raise x15
Half side leg raise x15
(hold for 15 seconds on the last rep)

Back leg raise x20
Back leg raise x20

Squat position x1 minute
Squat position x1 minute

This next exercise is a little interesting, they’re called “Rock Climbers”. We get down on our hands and toe stops and bear walk like that from one side of the rink to the other. They’re a lot harder than they sound, some of the girls weren’t making it to the other side and it got to the point where the coaches were getting on the ground with then and encouraging them on to the finish line.

These next exercises were done out of skates

Running x1 minute

Backwards running x1 minute

Side to side running x1 minute

walking lunges x1 minute

Side to side line hopping x1 minute

Body weight calf raises x1 minute

Then we did our ending stretch

All in all practice kicked my ass tonight and I can’t imagine how bad it would be if I had no fitness background.[/quote]

Interesting to note the similarities between our sports.

I WILL BE EYEING THIS LOG MORE!

One workout for today done, still have derby practice to get to in about 5 hours

Leg Press:
60 lb x 12 reps
65 lb x 12 reps
65 lb x 12 reps

Seated Cable Row:
60 lb x 12 reps
60 lb x 12 reps
60 lb x 12 reps

Dips - Chest Version:
15 reps
15 reps
Weight assisted at 60lbs

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press:
15 lb x 12 reps
15 lb x 12 reps
(weight stated for one dumbbell

Standing Biceps Cable Curl:
20 lb x 12 reps
20 lb x 12 reps

Machine Triceps Extension:
25 lb x 12 reps
25 lb x 12 reps

Weighted Decline Sit-Up:
10 lb x 12 reps
10 lb x 10 reps

Last night after the first workout I went to derby practice. We worked on balance and footwork, including working on walking on our toestops, proper derby stance, and running from side to side in our skates. Wasn’t too brutal but I learned a lot in those two hours, and I’m a lot more confident in my stops and balance in derby stance now.

A friend of mine told me that this website was very helpful to beginners and had a great community. [/quote]

They lied. Nice looking log though :slight_smile:

For anyone wondering, Sundays and Mondays will always be derby days, the rest of the week will be various weights or cardio.

Last night I went to derby practice, and it was pretty much the same fare as last sunday. This week, however, we did a benchmark test. A part of the minimum skill requirements test every derby dame needs to take in order to be drafted to a team is to be able to do 25 laps in 5 minutes. We did a test like this last night to see where everyone was at the beginning. I got 23 in 5- SO FREAKIN CLOSE! My coach congratulated me, though, so I guess I’ll just try and shoot higher next time.

We also worked on tomahawk stops which are where you propel yourself forward, then turn yourself so that you are rolling backwards, and then stop on your toe stops. I definitely did not get the hang of it. That’s one of my weakest points, unfortunately.

There will be another derby practice post tonight, I just didn’t post this last night because I conked out around 9:30.

[quote]csulli wrote:

A friend of mine told me that this website was very helpful to beginners and had a great community. [/quote]

They lied. Nice looking log though :)[/quote]

Dang, I had a feeling :frowning:

Thank you! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think a good way to compliment such a plyometric-intensive sport would be to designate a day to just conditioning, even if you’ve got your consistent derby practices. Things like crossfit workouts and strongman parameters could make you faster, more explosive, and better condition your fitness.

For cardio conditioning, shit like clean and press for reps, high rep squats, burpees, high rep kettlebell swings…

Explosiveness could be just as easy as doing long jumps, squat jumps, standing up with one leg while sitting on a bench/low box. Stuff like that would be done with low rep and high intensity with long rest periods- totally taxing and training just your nervous system.

All of this would make you a fucking ANIMAL on dem sk8z!

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
I think a good way to compliment such a plyometric-intensive sport would be to designate a day to just conditioning, even if you’ve got your consistent derby practices. Things like crossfit workouts and strongman parameters could make you faster, more explosive, and better condition your fitness.

For cardio conditioning, shit like clean and press for reps, high rep squats, burpees, high rep kettlebell swings…

Explosiveness could be just as easy as doing long jumps, squat jumps, standing up with one leg while sitting on a bench/low box. Stuff like that would be done with low rep and high intensity with long rest periods- totally taxing and training just your nervous system.

All of this would make you a fucking ANIMAL on dem sk8z![/quote]

Thanks for the tips! I think I might try to incorporate a lot of that into my weight days.
I’m already getting lots of praise from my coaches and team mates for being pretty quick, so that’s given me a lot of reassurance :slight_smile:
I was thinking about going back to doing “Insanity” cardio days once a week because they do a lot of sports drills in those videos.

Tonight at derby we did tomahawks (back wards toe stops) until everyone could do them and stop safely.
After that we worked on falling and sudden stops by playing “Red light green light” and “Duck duck goose” in skates. It was pretty interesting. A lot more cardio than usual Monday nights, but it was pretty fun!

Earlier this morning at the gym I did weights. I went up in my leg press, my dumbbell shoulder presses, and my cable curls! Back at my home gym I was doing 30 pound cable curls but the resistance on these new machines at the UCF gym has made going up in weights really hard. I did the following:
Leg Press:
60 lb x 12 reps
65 lb x 12 reps
65 lb x 13 reps
Seated Cable Row:
60 lb x 15 reps
60 lb x 15 reps
60 lb x 12 reps
Dips - Chest Version:
12 reps
12 reps
65 pound assist
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press:
15 lb x 12 reps
20 lb x 8 reps
Standing Biceps Cable Curl:
20 lb x 12 reps
25 lb x 12 reps
Machine Triceps Extension:
25 lb x 20 reps
20 lb x 15 reps
Plank:
60 sec
50 sec
45 sec

Wow sorry for not posting in a while! Sunday’s practice was a wash because a color guard team was for some reason using the rink we use for practice. My coach and their coach went to the front office to duke it out, but unfortunately they won. We get all of our December practices for free though :slight_smile:

Last night was an awesome night for derby practice!
Our coaches have taken to rewarding us with stickers on our helmets when we do well. I got a batman one for awesome crossovers and a silver surfer one for stopping coming out of a jump. I also had my first really good wipeout during a pace line. I went down forward, and ended up on my back, then got right back up. I was told it looked freakin’ cool.

We started to learn jumping, and it was a lot less painful than I thought it would be. They were using pool noodles for us to jump over and kept stacking them higher until they were about the size of an average downed blocker (Blocker players tend to be of larger body types). I cleared them all without falling once, which felt pretty amazing! All the other girls in my recruitment are doing such an awesome job as well. Everyone is progressing so fast and it?s super cool to see everyone getting better :slight_smile: