T Nation

Quadriceps tendonitis

For the last 2 years I’ve had this off and on. At the insertion of the knee and quadriceps muscle I am very, very sensitive and have a lot of pain. I can’t bend my legs without a shearing pain surging through the tendon there. I’ve tried rest, ice twice a day, anti-inflammatories, and I’ve always stretched a lot. Anyone have any other suggestions I could try?

Kelly, I had the EXACT same problem. I played competitive tennis for about 15 years and ended with incredible muscle imbalances, tensions, and general wear and tear on my left knee. I can’t even tell you how much sports massage has helped the tendinitis problem. I get one massage every two weeks… with most of the focus being on releasing the tension in the IT band. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the arthritis I’ve got worked up in the same knee… glucosamine isn’t doing it…

Call Dr. Leahy at 719-473-7000, and get a referral for an active release doctor in your area. I am certfied in soft tissue release, which is similar, and have seen miracles with clients. I have had active release and soft tissue release done on me, and it works. It is the only solution really. Depending on the injury, you could be back to 100% in as little as 1-4 sessions. I fixed a combat pilot who suffered for 20 years with back pain, resulting from landing too hard on an aircraft carrier, in one visit. Sometimes we get lucky and hit the bullseye on the first shot. Good luck.

I agree. Give ART a shot. The patella tendonitis in one knee was completely cured after two sessions. I’d been suffering for 16 years.

I have heard directly from Dr. Leahy’s office that he does not certify people outside of his direct practice to perform ART on the lower extremities, so if you’re pursuing this option, you might have to go straight to the man himself in Colorado. He does certify people in the shoulders and back, but unfortunately, he hasn’t certified anyone on the knees or ankles yet. Just thought you might want to take this into consideration.

Doug, not to contradict, but that is not so. I work clinically with most of the certified ART practitioners in the SoCal area, and, to my knolwedge, two of them have been certified for the lower extremity protocols. I’m in their offices several times a month and they have the certificates. So…

Greg, I understand. I know there are certification programs available. These usually take place for a few hours on a saturday or sunday and are given by national health and massage organizations. You can sign up, spend a few hours listening and practicing a little, then you get a certificate. It is nowhere near a complete way to learn the technique. Dr. Leahy himself has his own requirements. I don’t know specifically everything they include, but I know they are very thorough and require months of studying in advance. So yes, there are people with certificates, but I wouldn’t trust anyone with the technique unless you check it through Dr. Leahy’s office, and that includes upper extremity work as well.

Hey Kelly, has anyone checked your biomechanics? Poor mechanics of the foot and ankle area can cause the patella to mis-track. To compensate you increase stress in this area causing the pain. Custom foot orthotics may help reduce abnormal tracking, thus reducing patellar stresses. Just a thought.

Once again, no offense to Westie, but this is not a good idea unless you have had exhausted ART first. Fix the hole where the rats are coming in (ART), then address the rats that are left (orthotics/biomechanics)(if any rats are indeed left). Orthotics is a big money maker. It is kind of like Chiropractors, big money, long term clients. How many orthotics will you go thru in your lifetime, adjustments, re-evalutations. With ART, we want to fix you and send you on your way, never to see you again, unless you hurt something else. Of course, we like to hear or see you doing well in the gym. It helps validate our work. My ART guy is also a chiropractor, he pissed off his partner because of this and is now on his own. He works on our semi-pro hockey team here in town.

Doug, sorry to contradict yet again, but the chiro’s I know and work with are Leahy’s own people, trained by him and vouched for by his office on Colorado Springs. They have to renew their certification annually for a significant cash investment. Last time I heard (6 months ago), there was a greater than 50% failure rate among the docs who take Leahy’s final written exam for certification. The practicum portion of the exam is equally difficult; minimum clinical and hands-on training hours are also required. There are only 6 people in LA/OC who have an ART certification from Leahy, and I refer insurance claimants to 4 of them because they have proven clinical track records…and the certificates on their walls are signed by Leahy himself. Since Leahy has trademarked the name ART/Active Release Technique, anybody who uses the name without his permission/license is committing trademark infringement and fraud. There are several types of myofascial release/deep tissue techniques practiced today, but Leahy’s technique and protocols are the only ones that has produced consistent clinical results in several thousand cases managed by Leahy and his trainees and passed through the rigors of scientific investigation. The kind of injuries I see discussed on this site (localized tendinitis/synovitis, muscle sprain, overuse syndromes, entrapment neuropathy, impingement, etc.) can all be helped by ART. Resolution becomes problematic with more generalized and advanced conditions of RSI such as chronic pain syndromes, dystonia, fibromyalgia, related health problems, etc. Anyone who has a soft tissue injury of any kind should run, not walk, to a real ART person before they see any other kind of doctor. There are now certified practitioners in most states, and so there is no reason why anyone should forgo this kind of treatment in America.

Anyone who wants to find a certified practitioner in the US should call Leahy’s clinic, Champion Health, in Colordao Springs. The number is in the phone book and also cited in several places on this site. Also, I will be happy to forward contact info and references for the people I work with here in California if anyone wants it.