Quad Workout That Might Kill You

Thank you Dr Darden,

Here it is! My all time favorite routine on legs! A great double pre-exhaustion which digs the inroad of the century. Bear in mind, this is not NTF - but I judge that the legs can tolerate it (or at least has, for 5 workouts/twice weekly).

Question to Dr Darden:
I am rapidly progressing in strength. Is it accurate to add weight on the leg press first (or only)? I hesitate adding weight on the dumbbell squat.

I think you are right. First, add more resistance to the leg press.

1 Like

Dr. Darden,

Do you prefer dumb bell squats versus barbell squats? Also, regarding dumb bell squats, can you give me the step by step technique in performing dumb bell squats. Thanks.

Steve

Yes, I prefer dumbbell squats to barbell squats. A good description of dumbbells squats is in the article above: “A 5-Minute Quad Workout That Might Kill You.”

Thank you

Dr. Darden, I wonder is this intended to be a stand alone workout of just these three sets? Or as the last three sets of a more complete 30-10-30 workout? For the wall squat the article says ‘At the end of the 60-second hold, all you have to do is sit down’, which implies this is the last set of the workout. Normally I would put legs at the start of a workout, but the wall squats seem to be the natural end of this routine on several counts. What do you think?

Using the Quad Workout as the end of a more complete 30-10-30 routine is one way to perform it. But you could also do it at the beginning.

Great thank you. Maybe I will try it the end of the workout until I see whether I can stand up at all after the wall squats.

Hi Kirkre,

I have successfully applied this routine in the beginning of a workout. It serves both as a proper warmup, as well as a great leg routine. After which you are well prepared for training other muscle groups.

Another more important point after 3 weeks: My pants are now smaller than before - or is it the legs… Again, Dr Darden’s ideas work great for me!

1 Like

Any substitution for the leg press??

I use sissy squats–however,I dont belong to a gym

Just curious what the rationale is for preferring dumbbell squats over barbell squats, given the latter lend themselves more easily to heavy loading, if you don’t mind me asking?

In my home gym, I don’t have racks to do heavy barbell squats. If I did, I would apply barbell squats.

1 Like

Appreciate the response, thought I was missing something. :grinning:

My workouts have lacked a little variety lately, so I’m going to give the routine in the article above a go!