T Nation

Quad Tendonitis

For the past month and a half, I’ve been doing Sheiko routines. I finished #29 and had great success - added around 20lbs to my Bench, 15lbs to my Squat, and 10+lbs to my Deadlift. Now I’ve been doing #37.

After finishing 29, I took it relatively easy for a week because I had some shoulder pain and pain in my right knee. The pain subsided for both, but now that I’m in the swing of #37, the pain creeped back. I can get through my squat routines dealing with the pain, it’s not that bad, but I would like to hear any suggestions on how to remedy it. After some researching, it seems it’s a clinical case of quad tendonitis.

I squat with a medium width stance, high bar, and I squat deep. I use Chuck Taylors. If I squat wide stance with a low bar, the knee pain isn’t that bad, but it aggravates an old lower back injury. Would wearing a shoe with an elevated heel reduce the stress on my knee?

If anyone else has had experience with something like this and/or suggestions solutions, I’d much appreciate it. Thanks.

Whatever you do, DON’T push through it. I learned the hard way, and it developed into quad tendonosis. Now it may be as long as a year before it’s fully healed- if ever.

Take some time off, ice it, rest, and wait till the pain is completely gone. I would also take some antiinflammatories such as Glucosamine, MSM, etc.

Pain is natures way of telling you that you are doing something wrong.

maybe a strict application of sheiko the way you are doing it, is not for you.

Remember, one of the good things about the Bulgarian Butcher method of training is that it helped the coaches cull many non gifted athletes from their program.

Well, I might have to ease off. I don’t want to give up Sheiko because it has been so damn effective thus far. The pain, also, isn’t debilitating in any way. It’s very manageable and doesn’t prevent me from doing the exercise.

I wanted to know if either wearing a shoe with an elevated heel, wearing knee wraps/sleeves, adding fish oil supplements - if anyone had experienced something similar and found ways to work through it.

i’m just starting to develop this (blaming high volume front squats)…tis a killer because gains are coming great right now, would hate to have to back off!

i’m hoping i can just call it growing pains, eat more and wish it away…but we will see

edit (just had an “aha” moment)…i have been doing hacksquats for a while also, trying to pound the quads…and i feel lots of pressure in the knees when doing them heavy(prob why i feel a good quad workout too)…hoping i can take that out and keep front squatting…also hope everyone can manage around it

Well, I might have to ease off. I don’t want to give up Sheiko because it has been so damn effective thus far. The pain, also, isn’t debilitating in any way. It’s very manageable and doesn’t prevent me from doing the exercise.

I wanted to know if either wearing a shoe with an elevated heel, wearing knee wraps/sleeves, adding fish oil supplements - if anyone had experienced something similar and found ways to work through it.

Covered in this thread:

As an update, my knee is continuing to heal even while doing Sheiko. I’m still not 100% but I’ve seen steady progress and expect to be 100% in another couple months.